Register now to get rid of these ads!

GASSER MUST HAVES and cant haves?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DirtyDave, Aug 4, 2013.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I've found that's the only way it stays on even on stainless

2. Good tip on header paint break-in.
    I am looking at the raw H8033 Patriots

3. Larry T

Larry T

I usually bake anything that I paint with high heat paint in an over at about 300 degrees for a couple of hours and then just turn the oven off and let it slowly cool. Works GREAT on Harley cylinders.

But headers don't fit in the over, so I hang them over a shop heater (collector down) for a couple of hours to bake the paint. So far, it seems to work pretty well----but not as well as ceramic coating.

4. Augie Delgado has Embee's white stuff on the headers in his silver Jackson injected '66 Nova, but says he has to redo them every other year.?

5. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

When the VHT Rattle can paint came out they asked you to take your torch and kinda pre bake it on, I used the black on my dirt bike pipes and it was very good

Now you have all the hi tech coatings to pic from for a much better finish that lasts longer too

G Don

6. With how much Augie drives that thing, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't look a little "worn" after each two year stint. ;)

7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you don't mind black, I have been using John Deere muffler paint for years. First time I used it was on my Harley exhaust pipes and mufflers. Used it on a number of headers over the years with the same result.

8. Ha Ha, good point!

9. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I used VHT 1500 degree Flameproof header paint on my Austin Steve. It's been on there over 3 years now and still looks good, other than stains from road debris. No flaking or peeling, with driving in all kinds of weather.

10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Val the one we get here is listed as VHT 1200 degrees, not as good maybe ???

11. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

The mild steel headers on Sue's RP got the aluminium spray treatment and then white VHT, here they are after 9 years of use, pretty good I reckon

[​IMG]

12. rustang

rustang

+1 I've used this on some of my sled expansion chambers, and on the headers and it works probably better than anything out there at the moment.

Tom

13. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Steve, I just looked at my can of VHT, and it actually says it's rated 1300-2000 degrees. Not sure how it has a range that wide, but it does seem to hold better than the old stuff we used.

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

15. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

16. rfraze

rfraze

Why would a nose-high gasser style car be built with a dropped axle? "We had it" may not be a good enough answer.

17. II FUNNY

II FUNNY

I agree, it looks like a funny gasser to me.The article says something about wheelbase changes from year to year, and I'm sure that Don Long took that advantage plus whatever he thought would sneak by.

MELTDOWN DRAGS
    JULY 19-20 2014

18. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Kidding, right? I can tell you from experience that far more gas class cars got dropped axles than those with straight axles! And many of those were donor axles from other cars, trucks, or vans. I've put one straight tube axle in amongst the 8-10 axles I've installed for myself or others. That one straight axle is in my Austin, and I did it because I needed to have a very narrow axle and didn't want to cut down a dropped I beam axle.
    And I just finished another install today on a friend's car; a dropped I beam axle.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  19. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a 4 inch dropped axle in my 55,becasue I did not want it to be too nose-high.

[​IMG]

20. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

They just look Cooler? Chris

21. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

I never liked the looks of a straight tube one so I asked the fab guy put a slight drop in it, just kinda fit the look of the 37' too

And as I recall I took out 3 leafs on each side because of the total lighter weight of the car, and it sat level like I wanted and would raise up off the line and settle back down half way down the track

G Don

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  22. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

23. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

24. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Because a straight axle puts them up real high, too high in my humble opinion.

25. D.N.D.

D.N.D.
    Member Emeritus

Hi Brad

In the early 60's the only trans that would hold up in the blown gassers was the Hydro's

Bob - Don and Mort at B & M designed & built the quarter eliptic rear suspension for the guys that used their hydro's trying to get a better bite with those hard tires

Me and my buds would stop by at their first shop on the bend of Sherman Way in Van Nuys and see whose gasser was in the shop in 1960 - 61

Cool place to see the latest happenings going on when it all started, back then the 6-71 blowers were just getting to be the deal on the gassers and dragsters too

Glad I was there to see it all

G Don

26. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

This brings up a question I've pondered for years. I remember when Mallicoat Bros. and Ohio George both brought out cars with turbocharged engines. Both cars dominated the Gas class, and instead of embracing the turbo engines NHRA banned them. I've always wondered why they took this stand to ban new technology, instead of letting others also develop turbo engines and join in or catch up.
    If NHRA had taken the same path when superchargers had first come into use, they'd probably just now be getting popular.

27. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

could have been because turbo cars sound so whooshie compared to a blower car...

28. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Yeah, I'm sure NHRA banned them for noise.

29. Its was new technology.. they knew nothing about it.. and they were afraid of that fact. I wonder where top fuel would be at if they had allowed it.