Register now to get rid of these ads!

History The "Skipper T"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royalshifter, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Best example of of traditional T!!!!

2. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

OK with me that the wheels are not liked but they are not multi pattern and the car has no drop axle?

The Skipper T is still a bitchin car. I just have a pet peeve with modern wheels, dropped axles, etc.

Neal[/QUOTE]

3. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

The wheels have these crappy clips I made to run hub caps.

[​IMG]

4. Cruiser

Cruiser

Skip, your T bucket is spot on perfect example of a '50's hot rod.

CRUISER :cool:

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

6. sanfordsotherson

sanfordsotherson
    from So. Cal.

Great pics Mark!
    I honestly can't believe anyone is picking this car apart. It's so right. I wouldn't change anything.

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

And I thought I was tough on picking apart T buckets. I really don't think Royal gives a shit what we think. He has an artistic eye for what is right. Don't think he was trying to fool anybody as to when his roadster was built as I am. But that's just me. Don't know if you have ever tried to build a vintage car but it takes years of swaps to find the right vintage parts. Mine still has teflon shackles and an electric fan but then they might have been added later as Royals Ts wheels might have. Thirty + years and I am still trying to make mine look good enough that "somebody that was there" has to wonder if it wasn't built in the day.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Rebel, I think he was jabbing me for mistaking the smoothies for chrome reverse. Even if the smoothies are a better looking wheel.

9. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Not poking anyone just answering questions...and as for Wheelkid he gave me a full set of reverse wheels that are powdercoated chrome to put on the car...I just have not had time to get them stripped and add real chrome.

10. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

[/QUOTE]

I don't like dropped axles on T roadster either. You don't need one. You can build your front spring mount as high as you want. Looking at yours, T's don't need to be low. Yours sits pretty high in front but with the rake it looks right. Actually I am thinking of putting another leaf on the front of mine. When Franko first saw my roadster in the early '90s he walked across the Merced fairgrounds and told me he followed the "smile" of my front axle. I was hoping he would be there as I had just scored some red and white phone cord spaghetti at a flea market and wanted to give him a couple of packages. Wish now I had bought all the guy had.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  11. 40ford

40ford
    from Duluth, GA

Please find the camera and post the photos

12. hawkerdriver

hawkerdriver

[/QUOTE]

I think the car looks tits the way it is.

13. NealinCA

NealinCA

My comment about the dropped axle had nothing to do with your car. It was just an example. To me, modern mfg axles vs actual "dropped" axles are kinda like smoothy chrome vs actual chrome "reversed". Although they do the same thing, they are not the same thing. But it only matters to some.

The axle deal was covered here...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212055&highlight=dropped+axle+aesthetics

Sorry I got this off track. Your car is still one of my favorite T's.

Neal

14. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

All good Neal...yes the car will get some treatment someday with a wheel change and paint, Money permitting. I would like to paint it back to the original color blue, I have friends tell me no just clear the black and leave it alone.

15. 64altereddart

64altereddart
    from clovis ca

All of marks cars are bitchin . Very nice collection

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  16. MATTILAS

MATTILAS

Yea I got my ride in that thing thanks skip

17. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

What's the tire size on the front?

BTW that car is still bitchin!

18. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

There hasn't been a hotrod built that somebody wouldn't want to change something on, but in my book everything about that T is right.

19. n.z.rodder

n.z.rodder

That "T" is just plain bitchen'.

Scotty

20. von Dyck

von Dyck

Great stance. Great proportions. Great front and rear axle locations. Although it is not a Touring front half, it still rates up there with Grabowski's and Ivo's. I really think that chopped top T's are for people 5'5" or less in height to be comfortable to drive. Edd Byrns was tall, and tasted a few bugs while driving the Kooky T - on the other hand, Norm was shorter and missed out on bug flavors.

21. 117harv

117harv

22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm 6'3" and peep over my chopped windshield. Maybe I've dodged them or they got the hell out of the way, but I've only had one June Bug smack my cheek. If the seats set up right, a tall guy can ride. I ride damn near every day. Sometimes all day without stopping. It frees my mind and the view is great.