Register now to get rid of these ads!

double flare that works

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jcs64, Oct 10, 2013.

1. jcs64

jcs64

finally got sick and tired of trying to get a perfect double flare so I had to find a better way

this tool cost about the same as those crappy ones that don't work ($32), but this design works.

there called inline flaring tool and made by cal-van

[​IMG]

just thought id pass it along

jeff

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Looks interesting but haven't had much trouble with my imperial flare tool.

3. TooManyFords

TooManyFords
    from Peotone IL

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Another imperial tool guy.Also If your having trouble try the nickle copper tubing ,Real easy to work with and flares great....

5. Also a fan of the nickle-copper tubing - it's great to work with and I wish I had found out earlier in the work we just finished on my truck. It's world's apart from the PVC coated stuff and even the galvanized but if I had to pick it would be the plastic coated crap as a last resort. It's that noticeable of a difference in every way.

I guess if you have the big bucks tool though it's not such an issue. I only have the imported crap kit from S-R. My buddy Keith has an old flaring tool that was much better to work with...

let us know what you figure out and good luck.
    bob

6. That tool seems pretty cool. I truly need to invest in the fancy ones, I have used them and they are great. But the cheap ones are good if you file square, clean outside of pipe , and warm pipe.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. gicknordon

gicknordon

My hydraulic flare tool is much easier to use than the manual ones.

8. thanks good info

9. I've had the Old Style Cal Van (not the one the OP got) since the mid 70's. It works great every time, but you have to make sure that your cut is SQUARE and the you CHAMPHER the end of the tube. Do this, as the instruction say and they work perfect!

10. jcs64

jcs64

which is the professional way along w/ all the high dollar tools, but I just thought I would post up this low price option for those of use that only need to do a line or two a year.

jeff

11. little howard

little howard
    from kcmo

Where do you buy the "nickle-copper" tubing? The only thing my store has is the old galvinized stuff or the colored stuff.

Thanks,
    Howie

12. fsae0607

fsae0607

13. I guess it just depends on how much you want to spend,the expensive tools do the job first time,every time.

The old style double flaring tools work for me,,yeah on occasions I might have to cut and start over but I have done all my cars with this tool and it's served me well for 40 years now. HRP

14. loranzo46

loranzo46
    from pa

One badass flaring tool is made by mastercool. It's a hydraulic flaring tool. It even does stainless!

15. oneredryderone

oneredryderone

try NAPA for the 'copper-nickel' brake line, proper name is CUNIFER. do a google on copper-nickel to get the 'whole story'. used on BMW, MERCEDES BENZ, VOLVO, PORSCHE, VOLVO, plus other high dollar european autos. about $70 for 25 feet. as described earlier, easy to flare/bend/shape by hand, doesn't rust out! saved my butt many times! also go to a pick-a-part yard for used sections, if you don't want to spend the money for a full coil.

thanx red

16. gicknordon

gicknordon

Same one i have! It is great

17. This came up in another thread that many folks do not chamfer the tubing and are having issues.

18. rustang

rustang

+1 on this Eastwood unit......when I had loaned out my grandfathers Imperial flair kit (he passed and the family closed his shops in 1964 and his tools handed down through the years) and when it was not returned, I bought this eastwood kit.

Did a front to back complete brake system in less than a day with this kit and only messed one flair.... this kit is foolproof, used it on regular tube and SS.
    Tom

19. Steves32

Steves32
    from So Cal

That's the one I use. I have the set for AN & 45 double flare.

20. yblock292

yblock292

x2, just can't beat it, got mine couple of months ago, getting ready to run brake and fuel lines on a buds 40 chassis, have played with it a few times but this will be the first big time deal with it. Well worth the money!

21. fsae0607

fsae0607

Yeah the key to good flares is a square end and chamfered.

On the Eastwood flare tool, when you do the first bubble flare, pull the handle good. On the second flare operation, just pull the handle not as hard, so as to leave a bit of the flare to deform when you tighten your fitting. Oh and use a dab of anti seize or oil before flaring.

Good luck!

22. fsae0607

fsae0607

...and don't forget to put the tube nut on before you flare. Ask me how I know lol :D

23. rustang

rustang

+1 on the lube...I just use brake fluid, makes it flare smoother... :)

24. How do you get this to the car and do repair work ???
    You don't, that's the problem I guess.
    And you still need a good old fashioned tried and true flair tool.

I'd get that master cool unit if it did the transmission quick connect fitting flares.
    That would pay for itself in one winter in the rust belt.

25. fsae0607

fsae0607

Yeah... It only works on the bench. You'd have to remove the line.

26. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

x 2^, scored a whole vintage AMERICAN MADE Imperial double flare kit at the flea market years ago. I had some Harbor Freightish Chinese thing and yes, the flares were crap.

27. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

28. Attached Files:

29. this;
    [​IMG]

is the one that I have had since the 1970's. I have done hundreds of brake lines with it at my shop and home and have only had maybe 1 or 2 leakers ever. Like I said, a square cut and a good chamfer and Bob's Yer Uncle. And they only run about $30.00 these days (I think I paid $9.95)

30. junk

junk

Chamfer on the Id or OD?