Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Ox Blood leather ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flatnasty, Oct 9, 2013.

1. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Hey fellas

I'm looking to put an ox blood leather seat in my roadster does anyone have a good hook up for leather?

Thanks Brad

2. olskool34

olskool34

try searching your local craigslist for used couches. I bought a dark green leather couch for 40 bucks and it was enough to do the seat in my roadster. Plus it had all the great wear marks I was looking for!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013
  3. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

Check to see if there is a Tandy store in your area. They sell all sorts of leather craft items, including full skins, some of which are dyed. Also, if there is a decent sized fabric store in your area, check with them as well.

4. Bill Hirsh advertises in all Hemmings issues,,,He has best prices on leather and color choices,,grab the latest issue at your local news stand

5. hawleywood1

hawleywood1

Call Sid Chavers. I'm sure he has a few pieces laying around. He did a car for me with oxblood earlier in the year. Great guy too!!!

6. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

Google hides. Few places out there sell distressed ox blood that looks amazing.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

A lot of leather couches these days use very poor quality "bonded " leather, thin ,cheap and hardly worth your effort.

And if you are not careful you can bring home a serious case of bedbugs.

Better off looking for a source of new good quality leather.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are automotive leather stores that sell the leather by the Hyde in any color you want. Be prepared to spend big bucks though.

You might see what these guys have. http://www.perfectfit.com/15978/Upholstery-Leather.html

They aren't that far from you but there should be similar upholstery material suppliers closer that handle leather goods. I'd think that especially with the yacht builders up there you would have some suppliers.

Or what looks to be more strictly automotive, http://www.hydesleather.com/index.php

9. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. bondolero

bondolero

Just a suggestion from someone who has had both.
    If you are interested in an "worn distressed look" have a look at the Symphony Vintage Faux Leather. One of the upholsterers on the site uses alot of it and looks distressed when stretched, creating a "worn" appearance. Also stretches so it remains taught and is more comfortable to sit on that real hides, IMO.
    Also comes in darker colors and for the difference in price, you can buy a whole box of leather smell spray.

11. Cerberus

Cerberus

I purchased burgundy colored leather from eleathersupply.com. High quality leather! A cow side is about $189.00 (22-25 sq ft). I will do business again with them when the need arises.

12. flatnasty

flatnasty
    from Vancouver

Thanks for some good tips fella's I'll check them out.

Brad

13. willymakeit

willymakeit

Having dealt with bedbugs when I lived in Ok. you couldn't give me a free leather couch. Still makes my skin crawl to think about. I eventually won but it was a fight.

14. john walker

john walker

another vote for perfect fit- mcdonald in tukwila wa

15. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

16. KillerB

KillerB

Hey Flat,
    We put Oxblood interior in my wifes 31 A, Look up " Interiors by Thomas" in Auburn Indiana. They would have what you need.
    Ask for Tom.

Joe

17. Musta been a calf hide, as most hides are 46 -52 sq ft

18. fortynut

fortynut

The MidSouth is home to a lot of furniture makers. One thing I know for sure, COUCH LEATHER does not work for CAR SEATS. My brother can tell you what happens when you use it. It stretches out of shape almost immediately. AVOID AT ALL COSTS.

19. Cerberus

Cerberus

I stated a cow side not a whole cow hide. I don't know where they get the cow sides.

20. My bad, old eyes ya know!
    Thought it said hide.

21. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

just read the posts about NOT using couch leather, well i guess i ruined a very expensive living room set. i'm gonna try it anyway, as my first attempt at doing upholstery.

22. wallyzhere

wallyzhere
    from Jane Mo

I purchased a leather chair about ten years ago online from a company called Mitchell Gold, The chair was fantastic, I sold it a few years back when I was outta work and needed to make house payment . When I was having the chair made I had a choice of thirty color leather variations they could offer, not sure they have the red your looking for But the quality of the leather was top notch. They had a weathered green I thought would look great in a early jaguar. If I was going to have something custom done, and I wanted it to look Rat original, I would look them up for a hide. They sell very expensive furniture these days!