Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What hubcaps should i use

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hard-headed, Oct 7, 2013.

1. hard-headed

hard-headed

[​IMG]
    its time to change my hub caps had these discs around when i got the car going never really liked them, but in thinking of going with a 57 caddy caps with bullet centers,or trim rings with the spider hub covers ect.. what do you guys think. givin the fact that i have blackwalls for now, there 15in of course

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  2. bgaro

bgaro

c-a-d-d-y-l-a-c-k

3. I like the Moon Disc,,but caddys would look good. HRP

4. Squablow

Squablow

Spiders and rings are an early to mid 60's look, the Caddy caps would be late 50's. What era are you going for on this car? I agree that the moon discs aren't bad.

Not that you asked, but if I had a few bucks to spend and that was my car, I'd get a pair of those repop 49-52 bumpers and maybe something to use as a grille bar before I spent any money on caps.

5. teddyp

teddyp

the repop bumpers and caddy,s and www tires

6. hard-headed

hard-headed

i found and have a complete 52 stock grill just trying to find some teeth for it,an i want wwt just have a hard time getting rid of like new blackwalls that i had around,an the bumpers are both one peice what if i painted them? along with the grill and center bar thanks for the input

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  7. Okay, just for an easy comparison...here's the progression of changes that I made to the '35. Started with UGLY eighties era aluminum wheels and blackwalls...put on some Moon discs to cover those up...switched to steel wheels and wide whites...finally added the chrome spiders once they were off of back order. I've since made a ton of other exterior changes, but here is just a simple wheel and tire change.

Attached Files:

8. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Caddy covers, or keep the Moons....

4TTRUK

9. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I like 60 or 54 Buick's and there pretty cheap.. Both 15"...

Attached Files:

10. Squablow

Squablow

I make plain tires into wide whitewalls using snow seal if I can't afford new wide whites. The moon discs don't look bad with blackwalls, but I think the Caddy caps would look odd with them.

I hate painted bumpers. I'd rather have pitted, worn, or scabby chrome with touched up spots on it than a painted bumper myself. I suppose it's a personal preference, but it ruins the look. No one was painting their bumpers silver in the 50's or 60's. My girlfriend has a '51 and she bought a halfway decent used rear bumper for hers at a swap meet for $10.

11. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

I'VE got a set of good drive quality 56 buick caps that i'd sell for that car. i was going to use them on my studebaker, but they'd look better on your car than my truck.

12. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I like your choices on the caddy caps, or spiders. You could also look for a set of Dodge Lancer caps. Just my 2 cents.

13. teddyp

teddyp

heres a 57 lancer with extra bars

Attached Files:

14. squeaky32

squeaky32

i personally love 56 lincoln caps, maybe check those out.

15. If those were screw on moons I would keep them and shoot for white walls ... but moon discs that are just "slap on" hubcaps are just plain cheezy in my opinion ... I'd rather see dog dish/beauty ring set-up.