Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Model A Ford Coupe & Roadster Rear Rollpan Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Apr 20, 2012.

1. banginona40

banginona40

Here is mine. Just cut a section out of a piece of 6" pipe.

Attached Files:

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I'm sure this idea will meet with overwhelming dissaproval, but I've got a plan to bob and curve the rear of my "in development" sport coupe to make the back of the car curve under and match the inner curve of the trunk panel, whatever that particular piece is called. I may have to get some extra quarters to use the ends to reverse curve the outside of the body to match the area near the wheel wells. I'd try to photoshop it for you ifn I knew how. Gary

3. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Glad it was what you were expecting! When ya get it installed Id love to see a pic or two. :D

4. Maybe three years ago was at the nifty fifties cruise and a guy had a Model A coupe with a rolled rear pan and bobbed fenders, looked very nice and was a clean set-up. When I asked about it he said he bought them both from a guy in Kansas, I believe, that was fabbing them and selling them. Can not remember the name he said. Someone in Houston may know the car I am speaking of, it was a champagne color.

5. Bikertrash

Bikertrash
    from Boise

Any more ideas? I have some plans. The bar is set pretty high with all the talent on this board...

6. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Just a followup... Any more progress on the install? :D

7. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

A simple Roll Pan like on the Roadster could be made up out of a old fridge door. Cut out the shapes you need and weld it up.

Just thinking outside of the box.

The Old Tinbasher

8. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I have had a few requests to build rear roll pans like the one pictured here. So Im going to get the air hammer going tomorrow and roll up some end plates. Planning on making 6 or so rear roll pans for 30/31 model A Fords. Im not sure how different the 28 thru 29's are so im just saying they will fit the 30 31's nicely. If your interested in one let me know and I can fill ya in on the details. They are all built out of 18 ga. hand formed sheet metal and primer ed. Bead lines are an option as some like them smooth. They bolt up through the top of the roll pan through lip on the rear lower body sub frame. Holes will need to be drilled to match your existing holes or I can drill the pan and you can drill your sub frame. Thanks M.T.

A few pics I received the other day from 48fordnut that I sent him a while ago. No Bondo has been added yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2013
  9. kennyg1931

kennyg1931

i did a roll pan on my 31 roadster a few years back and used the corners of chevrolet van gas tank . was heavy metal / rolled metal for the center and worked very well,i dont have any pictures to post . . Kenny g .

10. [​IMG]

That looks real nice

11. Nice pan Metaltwister how far down does that hang? I may be interested in one.

12. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I can make it hang down any length but 4.5 to 6" look the best I think. Haven't done any much more than that yet? :eek: If your full fendered from the lower back edge of the body to where it touches the inside edge of the finder slope is about 5 inches. That is what I have found looks the best. Fender-less could be whatever in length.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  13. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Great job on the rear pan.

14. Uh oh- I dig the jag rear idea. Hey, the pan looks way cool.

15. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

X2 Gary

16. Rat.Racer

Rat.Racer
    from Maryland

Great work... Looks great.

17. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

I'm thinking of adding a rolled pan to the wife's 33 Chevy coupe. Any suggestions? I like the old refrigerator door Idea and just so happen to have one.
    [​IMG]

18. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Practice, Practice, Practice... and some cool new tools!

Ive been trying to figure out different techniques to speed up my fabrication time on these roll pans. My apologies for dragging my feet to those who have contacted me wanting to place orders for them. For the life of me I couldn't figure out how I could make them quick enough to be cost effective to make. I've picked some of the best hot rod fabricators minds I know, I know, I know, Slim Pickings but I think I have come up with a way that I can make these quick enough and still keep the high quality. It is now worth the time and effort to start building them in quantity. I will be launching my new seating web site in a week or so and plan on offering these up on that site. Without turning this into a full blown advertisement If there is any interest please check out the Hamb O Dex link on my signuture. You will have to scroll down through the seat stuff to get to it. Or give me a PM and we can go from there.
    Thanks. M.T.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  19. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

That may be tricky as your rear fenders are the same plain as the trunk area. Straight all the way across. Good luck though and sure it could be done.

20. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

Yeah I know I may have to lengthen the fenders. I just don't like the sharp edge and slope of the bobbed pan on there now. It would look better more rounded. Plain flat rounded without any of the Deuce reveals in it.

21. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Its the only sharp edge on the whole car and and being all the way across the back its a bit distracting to me. Humm, Guessing you should add some new full length fenders first then see how far down the new body roll would look best. I just happen to have a brand new set of 33-34 Chevy fiberglass fenders 3" wider than stock Id like to find a good home for. :rolleyes: they still have the stickers on them! :D

Edited... Sorry Jim I didn't mean it to come out that way! :eek:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  22. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Tip;For round corners; I stop at too many trash piles,so my wife said,but what I do is bring home round top BBQ lids amung other stuff,they have made them in a few sizes over the years and kind of handy to cut up in to what ever needed,not always as thick as you may wish,but in a very small space that don't matter.

23. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

REALLY!? {Said in my best Jim Carrey ace ventura voice}
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2MPoqqzwdY&feature=player_detailpage

24. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I bought a brand new wheel borrow to use the corners to build a humpback on a PT Cruiser back lid a few years back. Saved me a ton of time and turned out nice... I never told Mr. customer how I got the corners done so quickly... :rolleyes: Also cut in a 39 Ford rear window which helped get the look I was after... The only decent hump back PT Cruiser I've ever seen. LOL

Attached Files:

25. 19-c

19-c

Let's see the whole car!

26. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I never got a finished picture of it? I built it off the car and gave it to him. He drove by once with it on the car and I forgot to get a pic. Never heard from him again? He's probably off somewhere claiming he built it. I wouldn't be suprised to see it used as a mold to build Fiberglass parts off of. Who Knows :D Point is I liked the corners.

Attached Files:

27. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  28. BIG-JIM

BIG-JIM
    from CT

29. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

Deuce Steel - 1932 Steel Roll Pan - Roadster & 5-Window
    <form method="post" action="http://shop.hotrodscustomstuff.com/cart.php" enctype="multipart/form-data" id="productDetailsAddToCartForm">

</form>
    $2499.99

Product Description

The Deuce Steel Rear Roll Pan features a reveal crease that mirrors the crease on the stock rear valance and the original gas tank. This serves to add a distinctive, finished look to the bobbed rear end of 1932 Roadsters and 5-window coupes, according to the company. The Deuce Steel Roll Pan also has a slight compound curve to the lower surface to add character to this critical design element.
    The Deuce Steel Roll Pan includes corners that match the Roll Pan contours as well as those of the original Ford body where they meet. The Deuce Steel Roll Pan and corners are made of 18-gauge cold rolled steel with mounting provisions to allow easy mounting to a 1932 body and are ready for final finishing to match the car.

Wow, the Deuce Factory is proud of these things!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014