Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rusty 47 Ford Reserection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by koolkemp, Apr 17, 2010.

1. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

What he said ^^^.....love this thread!

2. koolkemp

koolkemp

Not soon enough I guess! I got some pics sorted out on the pc ,so I will upload them to photobucket this weekend ! Be warned though they are just iphone pics I haven't replaced the dead camera yet, Mrs Koolkemp has been off work since the start of July , the surgery recovery that was supposed to be 6 weeks is still ongoing :( but its been going much better the last couple of weeks so fingers crossed she will be able to get back to work soon. Been doing all the yard work from a year ago that I didn't do last summer cause I was working on the car :rolleyes: including a small compound on the other side of the shop to store all the rusty crap I have accumulated in the last few years ! One little change of plans too that I hope will meet with everyones approval !

Steve

3. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

"One little change of plans"????
    We know you.
    It went from a 4 door to a coupe...
    What's next? Is it a truck? A hovercraft?

Joe

4. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

glad to hear things are improving and look forward to the update pictures.

5. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Probably stuck an Allison V-12 in it.:rolleyes::D... hey thats not a bad idea! lol

6. koolkemp

koolkemp

Ok got some crappy iphone pics for you guys ! The sequence my be a bit out of order but I think you guys can figure it all out :D

[​IMG]

Decided to box and enlarge the c notch a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got the rear end blasted and painted...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

even got the exhaust all mocked up

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. koolkemp

koolkemp

of coarse I got the motor/trans back in first ,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cleaned up and then blasted the manifolds ...

8. koolkemp

koolkemp

got the gas tank finished too, but I did repaint it a darker color

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Throttle mocked up...

[​IMG]

Put some more work into getting the firewall smooth and primered..

[​IMG]

I had enough 8 yr old centari to shoot some white on the firewall, I would have preferred a more wimbelton white but this didn't cost me anything !

[​IMG]

I painted the booster white as well ,hopefully it will blend in a little with the firewall

[​IMG]

9. koolkemp

koolkemp

I stripped what was salvageable from the 49 Merc parts car cut up what was left and hauled it away, but I couldn't stop looking at this in the corner of the shop...

[​IMG]

Hmmmm :D

[​IMG]

Its about 4" too wide....

[​IMG]

This dash was incomplete and, like the rest of this project rotten and rusty !

10. koolkemp

koolkemp

With the direction the car has taken since I started it the 59 dash seemed more and more out of place and besides Rikster told me it didn't belong :pSo I took the 4" out of the center and was really surprised how well it was fitting...

[​IMG]

I gave a quick blast to parts of it to see how much I had (or didn't have!) to work with...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

way more time in rust repair than making it fit :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used the center part of the mounting flange from what was left of the original coupe dash, and had to repair and increase the flange width on the ends so I would be able to hide the fasteners under the garnish moldings..

11. koolkemp

koolkemp

[​IMG]

With the column back in .. I wont have to do any mods to the mounts :) I will fill in the recess cause it doesn't line up and is mostly rotted away anyways ..

[​IMG]

Garnish moldings chopped :D I really love the way the dash rolls down at the front edge , kinda gives a frenched look to the bottom of the windshield ...on the Merc the garnish covers this slope but I really love how it looks in the Ford!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The dash still needs some more hole filling and of coarse body work but I am really happy with the look! If anyone has any leads I need the glovebox stainless and a radio delete plate maybe some better end trim pieces ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And some really blurry pics of the front clip seam sealed and rocker guarded , I ll seal it up with a couple of coats of tremclad as well ..

Hopefully I can get the body back on the frame by the end of this month, I really need to see it start coming back together soon ,I need the motivation lol!!

12. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I like your ideas for the dash and it most certainly fits in with the rest of the car, in more ways than one. :rolleyes::D

13. oldman2

oldman2

Love the dash, nice job....Jim

14. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Good to see some progress and those pics arent that crappy you said.Keep it up!

15. Nice! All those small projects help with the feeling of completion. Good call on the dash, too.

16. GizmoJoe

GizmoJoe

Great progress!
    Are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel or do you foresee other major mods?

17. banditomerc

banditomerc

Hey Steve,the skirts turned out perfect and the change up in ur choice of dash is a plus...car is looking cool..

18. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The dash is great. Thanks for the update.

19. BuilderRhys

BuilderRhys

Looking good Steve, cool, cool, cool, keep it up. Did you give up on the Merc or was it just the the donor car? I have a ton of sheet metal spares to send you when I'm done, Rhys.

20. Good to see some progress! That dash looks cool as

21. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

I'm loving seeing this come together!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. koolkemp

koolkemp

Thanks Eli, I could not ,with good conscious, used a rust free dash on this car !

Thanks Jim! Its becoming my favorite mod on the car...I just have to find an era correct steering wheel to fit the GM column

Thanks Finn !

Thanks Nitro !

No more mods :eek: .......are planned anyways :p I kinda agonized over the dash thing for a few weeks cause I really didn't need the extra work but it just looked so right !

Thanks Dave! How are ya making out ??

Thanks Rich!

Thanks Rhys ! The Merc was just a parts car for the other Merc that should be a parts car lol! If it was too rusty for me you know it was junk , the poor thing had been sitting on its frame with no wheels since the early 60's. Sheet metal spares?? I'm all ears :)

Thanks Tom!

23. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

For you HAMBers out there who haven't read the whole thread yet I highly recommend taking the time to do so! It'll help you realize the rationale behind rebuilding this beat up 'ol dash. It fits in perfectly with the rest of the build. Eli

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Yep, it was one of the "nice pieces" he started with!:rolleyes:
    It just goes to show what can be done with skill and a creative vision, to see how things can be and not just how they are at the moment. Great to see the updates, as this is a very inspiring build.

25. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

That has to be the understatement of the year!

26. koolkemp

koolkemp

Wait till I start trying to piece together the pile of crappy 36 Ford pieces I have, gonna make this project seem like a rust free gem :eek:

27. unit8

unit8
    from Idaho

Read through most of this thread, Awesome work!!!

28. JAWS

JAWS

Finish this one first Steve.

Then another build thread so we can vicariously enjoy the hard work.:D

29. jfrolka

jfrolka

Nice decision on the switch to the merc dash, good call!

30. Good call on the dash and as always you continue to inspire!

Very cool...rg