Register now to get rid of these ads!

SHOE BOX UPDATE 4/07 with nearly 500 ROUNDUP PICS!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geemann51, Apr 7, 2007.

1. geemann51

geemann51

I'm not sure if this should be a SHOEBOX update or ROUNDUP coverage, so I hoping to do both since what better reason to bust out a thrash on your car than a Round Up. That was the thought back in January when I dropped the 51 off up at Bodylines for the treatment. It was a down to the wire but we made it. I picked it up Saturday morning on the way to the show.

I was fortunate to have my old pal SLAMIT in town from Santa Cruz along with my other good friend Bill from San Diego. We had originally planned on getting the car on Thursday so that the three of us could fine tune it and do a Mexican blanket interior on the Thursday and Friday before the show, but the car simply needed more time under the knife. We improvised and brought the seats home for a tuck and wrap, then put them in the car later.

Tim, Suki, and Thomas up at Bodylines put their heart and soul into getting it done for the show and that is what they delivered. The whole goal was to not necessarily finish the car, but to start the bodywork phase and to start replacing and aligning, start fitting the grille, add a windshield and to mock up two-tone paint.

Here are some pics and a link to nearly 600 hundred shots of my car in progress for the show, the Round Up, and some fun out in the garage. Most were shot by SLAMIT so he get's the credit. He has become really talented with a lens and a shutter, so I was happy to have him along to document the whole enchilada.

Overall, the weekend turned out to be a real thriller. It was down to the wire and like the boys up a BODYLINES, I was tired and got little rest between running parts, the day job, and airport duty. Saturday night, I thought we were out of the woods and after dinner at Gueros and a couple passes on congress, I almost got smacked by an obvious drunk driver pushing the stalled shitbox off of congress (bad alternator not charging, it's fixed now). It scared the shit out of us, but were safe. Then on Sunday morning while getting ready for the FLYRITE hullabaloo, SLAMIT's son Owen, took a spill off of one of my DOGTOWNs and broke his arm (little guy is tough as nails and still insisted on dinner out at the SALTLICK after getting home for the ER) Hope your doing good Owen! With all that, we still had a good time.

Anyway, like I said, there are nearly 600 photos on the link. SLAMIT is an EXCELLENT photographer with an eye for detail, so I'm sure you'll see something you like.

Here’s the link and a few teasers….

http://public.fotki.com/geemann51/

Here's how it looked before (note the grille up on the top shelf)....
    [​IMG]

getting some primer
    [​IMG]

off comes the masking
    [​IMG]

WOW what a dash...
    [​IMG]

rolling out of BODYLINES
    [​IMG]

ROUNDUP at Last!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Oh yeah, I want to extend a BIG THANK YOU TO THOMAS, TIM, AND SUKI over at BODYLINES. These guys are the real deal and I appreciate everything you and your crew did.

2. geemann51

geemann51

3. Durod

Durod
    from DFW, Tx

Looks like my boy Thomas and company did ya good, brutha. Nice shoebox and thanks for sharing those pix.

4. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

cool car. nice chop

5. Spoon

Spoon

That's real smooth man.
    Looks like alot of work.
    Congrads.

6. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

excellent pics greg... Can't wait to do the shiny thing...

7. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Do you have any more pics? I have a 50 coupe sitting on the side of my shop and a 51 sdn inside that Im finishing the chop on. Never liked chopped coupes, but this looks super cool! Definately think I wanna chop the coupe when the sedan is done. How much came out of the front and rear?

8. geemann51

geemann51

Have tons of pics, I believe it's 4" in the front and with the rear window laid back it's roughly 6 in the back. Here are a couple pics that show the geometry of the pie cut. The chop was done when I got the car, so I don't have any showing the progress. Feel free to PM a specific requests and I'll see if I have any....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BELLM

BELLM

Greg the car looks really good!
    I guess I had my head up my rear day I saw you guys @ George's junkyard. We were only 6 miles from my place, I was going to get you guys to come over, let you look @ my '51 parts car and other rusty junk. Sorry!

10. geemann51

geemann51

Eddie it's all good, I'd still like to take a ride out to your place sometime, I got some decent pieces off of the car at George's, but I'm still on the hunt. Let me know what works best and we'll set something up. A good excuse to take a run out to the country....

11. Kilroy

Kilroy
    from Orange, Ca

The car looked cool Gregg and I'm glad it made it to the Roundup (safely!).

I really like how the grill and headlights turned out.

12. seldom scene

seldom scene

Hey Greg,
    Your car is coming along great! congratulations on a good job, and staying with it no matter what.

13. geemann51

geemann51

Thanks for the kind words

Bill hope your doing well

Eddie, I forgot to mention, alot of the dash came from the car at George's

14. geemann51

geemann51

up for the lurker who called me and said he couldn't find the post

15. raaf

raaf

gregg,

wow - that looks perfect. i looked around for some before pics i took here in sd, couldn't find any. ...this car has come a long way. hope i get to see it in person one of these days.

-- raaf

16. rustypipes

rustypipes
    from san jose

That shoebox is amazing, thanx for the pics

17. Otto138

Otto138

Gregg,

Wow! The Shoebox looks amazing! I am really glad to see it in paint and I gotta tell you, it is really motivating to see so much progress! I got to get on my truck and get her lookin better. Talk to ya soon.

Otto

18. BadLuck

BadLuck

forget the car..look how clean that garage is! J/K...cool shoebox...thanks for the pics.....

19. Hey Gregg I had to register here at my office.Iwanted to congrats on the shoebox man.It looks righteous.John St Germain

P.S. did you get my new e-mail address at the farm.I got high speed sattelite dialed in now...TBJ.

Keep well and keep in touch.I finally dragged Shoeze out of the barn and will be updating the time bomb web site with her and all her friends.All I need now is to park her beside yours and then go cruisin..

20. geemann51

geemann51

John and Otto, thanks for the kind words. It always amazes me when these poswts come back from page 33 and spark more conversation.

John, I can't wait for the day that we park our cars next too each oter. I guess I need to start a 36 now to keep up with....

Take care...

21. Rocket

Rocket
    from Austin Tx

the car looks really good!

22. geemann51

geemann51

What a trip to look over some of these old posts, consideri ng where Im at, seems like so long ago...

23. Still one of my favourite shoeboxes, and I still refer back to your build shots when I'm working on mine. Trying to figure out how I'm going to tackle Olds headlights, I'm finally at that stage, need all the help and inspiration I can get.

24. geemann51

geemann51

Glad you're still after it. Next to me, I think you have had the longest build.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. The joys of working solo, a few hours a weekend.

Me and Finnrodder are neck-and-neck in a VERY slow race. :D

26. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

Well,i think i am ahead of you Andrew.....in slowness:D
    If everything goes ok,i'll update my build thread at today.