Register now to get rid of these ads!

Interior pricing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cac646, Oct 4, 2013.

1. cac646

cac646

How much is everyone paying for a full interior? Car is a 1960 wagon, needs full interior headliner to carpet. White vinyl. Quote came back at $9600 incl. materials. Too much????

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Model T1

Model T1

Maybe................... Maybe not!

3. hard to say...interior pricing has a BIG range. check a few more , that may be cheap or way to much. have you seen this guys work? what is the quality ?

4. Special Ed

Special Ed

You should be at 1/4 to 1/3 of that quote for a decent quality job. Over 5k, it better be a pretty tricked-out deal with some very high dollar materials.

5. cac646

cac646

Hmmm, I has several shops that quoted anywhere from 2k to 18k. 2 shops came in at $6500 and I has chosen this one due to their communication. Plan is stock appearing just done in white vinyl and green inserts. Now the bill is 50% more. Materials are ~$2k, $5850 in labor.

They are going to install the front window glass for another $650 or so.

6. Squablow

Squablow

Lots of info needed. Do the original seats need to be rebuilt, are the original door panels there to make templates, arm rests missing, is the headliner custom? 6 or 9 passenger?

I don't doubt that there are upholstery shops that would charge close to 10K for a full custom job on a big ol' wagon, but it depends on what they have to work with.

Either that, or the guy gave you the "fuck off, kid" price, where they don't really need or want the job, so they bid it real high in case they get it.

7. Model T1

Model T1

Son didn't have comp and paid under $300 installed by a glass co for a 85 truck windshield. Sounds like you are gonna pay way too much for everything. Keep looking.
    You might check on stationwagonforums.
    Can i say that?

8. cac646

cac646

9. Squablow

Squablow

That windshield is a massive wrap around job with a gasket, not really comparable to an '85 truck which is a simple glue-in. But 10K seems pretty steep to me for what you're getting. The scratch-built headliner is going to be expensive anywhere you bring it, but the rest should be pretty straight forward. I wouldn't pay that.

10. oldolds

oldolds

Sounds high to install windshield or is cost of windshield included?

2k for materials is prob about right Padding for seats is high priced as are a lot of the things under the covers you don't see.

The labor seems high at first glance. it equals 58 hours at $100/hr (Not enough time for full interior) or about 77 hours at $75/hr. That is about 2 weeks work sounds about the right amount of time. If it is good work and you feel good about it go for it.

11. 67coronet

67coronet

We charge about $60 an hour plus fabrics. A 30-40's sedan is about 50-55 hours for something nice. Your wagon shouldn't take much longer then that. Good luck.

12. cac646

cac646

They have 90 hours in the estimate @$65/hr. Just over 2 weeks didn't seem toooo bad but the overall price just seemed high. I do expect quality work, I hope to have the car in the gnrs next year but at the same time I'm a pretty young guy and need a fair market price.

I probly should have been more clear on the glass, it's putting in weatherstrip and install on the front door windows plus vent windows and the rear quarter windows. I felt the glass side of it was pretty fair.

13. oldolds

oldolds

Hmmm ....gnrs bound hmmmm

14. cac646

cac646

I know that makes it sound like I should be paying out the butt... But

I am under 30 building the car out if a single car garage so I can't be paying gold chainer prices.

15. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I just paid $4,500 for the interior on my 55 Pontiac,nothing exotic but clean I will see if I have pictures on my computer or will post some tomorrow. I am having a hard time uploading pictures, I don't even know how I got this one in.Try again tomorrow

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  16. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

One of those things that can be all over the map! Quality of materials, labor costs for your area, condition of the existing parts to work with, and the quality your expecting all plays a major part of the price quote.

Its kinda of like a paint job... how much body work is needed, what kind of paint are you going to use, and what are you looking for a concourse winner or a weekend cruiser type of job?

Id say for the money quoted you should get an excellent quality job with only top of the line materials used. And probably from a middle to upper class shop. I know of shops that will run you triple that amount and shops that could run you well under a third that price. Just depends on what you want. Yep, you get what you pay for. :D In fact I know of a few shops that will charge you that for a seat cover and they have a waiting list. Go Figure! LOL

17. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

I paid $3500 for mine which is a daily driver (vinyl) and that's everything including carpet and headliner. My buddy built a show car with interior costing 12k....I like mine much better.

$3000-6000 should buy very nice interior.

18. wood470

wood470

Is TJ still open?

19. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Yes it is by appointment only as per Fast and Furious. Still some quality craftsman there doing some wonderful stuff! If your not all hung up on the political stuff its a great option!
    A couple good shops in Tacate as well.

20. wood470

wood470

I had a 55 Olds and a 57 Chevy both done there at different times in the 60's. All newtuck and roll black naugahide, even said U.S. Naugahyde on the back, cotton stuffing in all the pleats( not cow shit) . New carpets including trunks, headliner,door panels and package tray for about $400. These were two door cars with decent seats and headliners for a pattern, but they both done by one guy in one day. Pretty much from daybreak till dark but he was happy to do them, glad for the work.I remember the big name at the time was Ricky's Top Shop, they were onthe main street but the deals were to be had on the side streets with the owner operators.I had these cars for at least five more years and the jobs held up well,so I don't understand 90hrs. We did have to give the owners nephew a ride to Oceanside which slowed down our border crossing but after we let him out of the trunk everything went pretty smooth

21. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Baaaahahahaha!