Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 1959 squarebird mild custom build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by ynottayblock, Apr 23, 2013.

1. eddie1

eddie1

I remember see one years ago in a magazine that was a pretty radical custom that had a 61 Caddy bubbletop roof.

I want to say it was Custom Rodder Magazine & for some reason I think the car was from Australia.

2. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Thanks man, your merc is looking KILLER

3. docmike

docmike

I have to say that straight from the factory I really don't care for these T-birds but, with just a little custom work they really look Kustom.

I like where you are going with your interior. Something I thought I'd pass along that I read about a few years ago that a guy did with a custom VW. I think most people like the class of a leather interior but they don't always wear the greatest. This guy did a full custom leather looking interior but the only part that was real leather was the headliner. It gave his car the illusion and smell that he spent a ton on leather without spending a ton for a full leather interior.

Doc

4. VNTGE41

VNTGE41
    from l.a.

i remember seeing that tbird in paso. i wanna say the guy that built it was from paso too. it was blue if thats the one youre talking about

5. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

6. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

The 352 is out and disassembled. We are going to reseal and repaint. It will be painted in the same colours as what will be used throughout the car...Gold, Bronze, Pearl white and black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  7. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

The plan is...
    black firewall and inner fenders
    gold block, heads, front cover and intake
    black pulleys, exhaust manifolds, fan and transmission
    bronze valve covers with white lettering
    pearl white air cleaner

9. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

ll

I hated seeing this 61 Turd-Bird at Norwells B. party, LOL, you put the rest of our cars to shame !!!!!!!!!!! I just love it, cant wait to see the square bird. Larry

10. I've been sanding... sanding... sanding... my car too, I can sympathize. This one's gonna be killer. I was admiring your sweet bullet bird at Jeff's too, trying to talk my GF into one :D

11. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

thanks fellas...there was plenty of better stuff at norwells that day. Next time you guys see the car, introduce yourself to me or Ian...I don't think Ive had the pleasure of meeting you guys face to face yet. Big A your shoebox is going to be pretty sweet too man.

12. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

you need to sell me those FORD valve covers........

13. Front end restyle I was messing with. I´ll just throw this out there.

[​IMG]

Narrowed the grille and extended the bodywork to blend the bumper and grill together better. Seems like a more natural progression from the `57 bird.
    [​IMG]

Greenblade likes this.
  14. xristosk22

xristosk22

great work! really like how its coming along. can wait to see more.

15. nice work... and I know exactly how you feel

Attached Files:

• 018.jpg
      018.jpg
      File size:
      476.5 KB
      Views:
    • 021.jpg
      021.jpg
      File size:
      466.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Are we still sanding?

17. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

This car makes me want a "Bullet Bird". Beautiful.

[​IMG]

18. squeaky32

squeaky32

i love the interior idea, beautiful squarebird, im about to start building one for the gf.

19. froghawk

froghawk

For this to come even close to working the bumper guards have got to go away. In any case, not a great look. Grill is too pinched.

Steve Ray likes this.
  20. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Russ...I haven't been to the shop in 3 weeks. Life is getting in the way. But I'll be in there sanding for the next couple days, along with painting some engine parts.

21. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

ha, been there already. I found the bulletbird easier to block out than the squarebird. The hours I have into the doors is depressing

22. You think? Personally I hate the wide mouthed frog look of the stock grill. No idea what they were thinking with that.

23. yeah its not bad blocking,should lay down the first basecoat about tues/ wed next week...
    the hours I have in my roof (if you look hard theres a 72 caddy side scoop turned sideways in the roof) and hood (eyebrows and 3 times reshaped scoop...grrr!) I could've built a stock bird top to bottom

24. GMDad

GMDad

Very nice job on the car Brent. It was good meeting up with you, Ian and your friends at Tom's place last night. TBird looks good at night and love the carbs on the Model A and the T Coupe. Will have to get by your shop one weekend.
    (I was driving the '40 Chev last night)

25. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Nice to meet you too. Me and Ian have been toying around with the idea of hosting one of those shop nights.

26. ynottayblock

ynottayblock

Finally got back to the shop this weekend and some progress was made. l completed some block sanding and after Ian stripped the engine and sandblasted most of the parts during the week, we got most of the engine painted over the weekend. After months of sanding, it was a nice change of pace and good too SEE some progress. The engine looked really good inside, the previous owner told me he had it rebuilt (which it was) but he never had paperwork. So new gaskets and paint will be all it needs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Looks like you have a really early FE there probably a 1958 date. The Timing chain cover looks to be stamped steel, your waterpump seems to be a long shaft and the crank sleeve has the large flange on it. Any casting # on the block & waterpump? Also what is the casting # between the 2nd & 3rd spark plug on the heads?

Movin/on

28. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Lemme know Brent....It would be great!

29. Great project Brent, Ian's ride is pretty awesome too. Hope to bump in to you guys somewhere along the line to see in person... I too am helping a fellow Ontarian with a Bullet bird, must be something about TBirds and Ontario right now?
    Here it is with the beginning stages of a 4" front to 5.5" rear chop, roof slid ahead to tighten up the rear quarter windows and we have leaned the rear window way ahead to create a nice flow to the rear of the roof, more photos will happen on it's own thread later on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. Cool build, with a well-thought-out plan using all the right parts. Always liked T-birds and hope to own one someday. Subscribed.