Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage Speed Boats

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Ryan, Sep 11, 2006.

1. That is a beautiful picture of some great machinery.:cool:

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

this is a great thread. ill post a few pictures of the flathead ford marine engine i just picked up

3. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Very Kool photo's

4. rick finch

rick finch

5. rick finch

rick finch

Mr.Ed was a bad ass boat...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Anyone know the present whereabouts of Larry Schwabenland (sp), famous boat racer from the 70's. I sold him some parts at Pleasanton years ago. He was building some type of hot rod but I was so stoked to talk to him about boat racing I paid no mind to what he was doing. Just interested is all. Not trying to hijack the thread. Thanks

7. Don Philbrook in Oakland Ca built some beautiful wood boats that ran in Lake Tahoe
    I had built an MBL Hercules For the Green Hornet and was dropping it off and saw lots of nice old boats there
    A triple cockpit with twin 440,s

8. I had a 21' Donzi day curser with BBC and a Jacuzzi jet pump
    bought it from Howard Arnison
    Saw Howard last Sep and he is 94 years old and still running ocean racers

9. I have an old flat bottom boat that is in serious need of a total rebuild. I keep thinking about sawing it up in pieces so I can get rid of it. I have no real idea what it is, but it is registered as a Sanger. Most of the hardware and v-drive is long gone.

Whenever I open this thread though it makes me hang on to it a little longer lol. It needs a new deck and when I look at these fiberglass boats with the cool wood decks I start drooling. Ive searched the web and havent found anything at all on helping me taking on a project like this. I have seen plenty of sites that will rebuild it for you. I even talked to one fella (cant remember his name) that does fantastic work .. EXPENSIVE!

So for now it gets another reprieve =)

10. rick finch

rick finch

Don't know, I just snagged it off this here web thingie...always thought it was a cool boat though.

11. rick finch

rick finch

Yesterday...

[​IMG]

...and today.

[​IMG]

12. Lowdownfab

Lowdownfab

View attachment 2042361

Might not be "vintage" but heres my '81 checkmate exciter.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

13. rick finch

rick finch

14. I love looking at the Glenn L plans ... gets me drooling every time LOL

My boat is fiberglass. I dont know all the terms on whats what on a boat. It looks to have the upper section bonded to the lower with no what Ill call a rubber strip between the two halves. The shape of the boat is almost identical to the Rudy Hot Rod boat pic except it seats four. The previous owner, my BIL, many years ago cut three large holes in the deck so he could put coolers in them. I have since opened it up to one very large hole.

What I would like to do is put a wood deck where there never was one ... no idea if thats possible. I just love the old flat bottoms. It still has the early 427 Chevy in it.

15. flyin-t

flyin-t

I misunderstood your post, I thought your boat needed a new wood deck.

The books from Glen will still help, once the wood hull is built and right sided up, the work on the deck begins. This is where you'd start once your 'glass hull is prepped for the deck.
    You have no patterns, frames or anything else so you'd be starting from scratch. One of Glen L patterns for a boat might be close enough for you to adapt the top of the frames to your hull. It's a ton of work but was done on a daily basis back in the 60s by most of the builders using guys like Harlin of doing it themselves like Howard Brown did.

They're beautiful once done, who doesn't like wood.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  16. rick finch

rick finch

Panic Mouse...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and today.

[​IMG]

Mark Hinds likes this.
  17. lomonte

lomonte
    from Indep., MO

Panic Mouse is GORGEOUS in person. God, what a badass boat.

18. flyin-t

flyin-t

19. I thought Ray broke his neck at Oakland Estuary years ago
    I was at that race
    the boat had a big hole in the right side

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I picked this to to slide down in my 34 ford I'm stripping the marine accessories off it.

21. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380806655.908045.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380806671.296752.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380806683.862547.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1380806712.968292.jpg

22. flyin-t

flyin-t

He passed away in the hospital after his crash at Oakland in '73. I saw him set a record a week or 2 before here in Long Beach.

23. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Long Beach Marine Stadium is still very much the same . There is a lot 392's and 426's resting on the bottom . One of Mikey Thompson Pontiac's is down there also.

24. fourtogo

fourtogo
    from long beach

Seen it run many times in long beach . Blown Fuel Flat's were some thing too see back in the day.

Mark Hinds likes this.
  25. wild ride boat stood straight up twice
    blew off the other boat
    also did his wife have a hart attack there I remember the ambulance went there
    ? I think an announcement was made
    that was my first boat race
    went with a guy from Nevada he owned Dutchman's Gold he did not run

26. rick finch

rick finch

27. rick finch

rick finch

28. graybearded

graybearded

We have a '69 Rayson Craft it brakes my heart to let it sit outside. We have a boat & RV storage when I sit it in a empty stall, somebody needs the stall almost overnight. It's a '69 twenty footer, I need to find it a new home. Going to put on the HAMB parts for sale as soon as I can get a few pictures. Skiatook Okla. Who works on these near Tulsa?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  29. Bill Stevenson

Bill Stevenson

I should apologize, I just joined here. I may need a slap on the wrist if I'm not with the program. Currently I seeking any information for a WILCOX CRITTENDEN helm/steering wheel I have. After a great deal of looking I turned up nothing on this model. I will attach a couple of photos and hope some one will be kind enough to shed some light on this. Thank you all. ACK! Uploads failed. They were sized suitably I thought. I a few words, it is a bulkhead mount with aluminum housing, very simple and a "plastic" wheel. I saw many other WC wheels that were more comples in my searching. It's probably common skiffs and maybe small outboard racers. Thanks again.

30. trbomax

trbomax

an introduction would help.