Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noboD

noboD

The lovely Denice Diplock.

2. Mart

Mart

No, I found it elsewhere, of course! Why would I be looking on this thread for pictures to post on this thread? I just thought it funny when I literally did stumble across it on Flickr.

TBH I didn't know it had been reposted before. How on earth did you generate the list of pages it is on? You must either have a photographic (geddit?) memory or some good search tools.

Well done, NoboD, that's the reply I was expecting.

TBH, I don't really think either one is actually called Denise Diplock, but it is funny none the less.

Mart.

3. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

;) Ok. Post#79980."Look out for the exhaust emissions from this power plant".
    Post #79985.Doc.This looks like a child`s toy replica of a P80 "Shooting Star".
    Post #.80015.Now that`s better than a "Tiger in your tank".
    Doc.RE:"Glacier Girl"first flight.Yes for sure.That was a wonderful day for all present.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

4. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

The one on the left looks like Sharon Gless.

[​IMG]

5. empire

empire

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last photos of James Dean in his Porsche. Passenger is Rolf Wütherich who survived the crash.

6. empire

empire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=elqJBWU4dOc
    [​IMG]

Can you imagine Jimi Hendrix singing a duet with Lulu? Well, neither could Hendrix. So when the iconoclastic guitar player showed up with his band at the BBC studios in London on January 4, 1969 to appear on Happening for Lulu, he was horrified to learn that the show’s producer wanted him to sing with the winsome star of To Sir, With Love.

The plan called for The Jimi Hendrix Experience to open their set with “Voodoo Child (Slight Return)” and then play their early hit “Hey Joe,” with Lulu joining Hendrix onstage at the end to sing the final bars with him before segueing into her regular show-closing number. “We cringed,” writes bassist Noel Redding in his memoir, Are You Experienced? The Inside Story of The Jimi Hendrix Experience. Redding describes the scene that he, Hendrix, and drummer Mitch Mitchell walked into that day as being “so straight it was only natural that we would try to combat that atmosphere by having a smoke in our dressing room.” He continues:

In our haste, the lump of hash got away and slipped down the sink drainpipe. Panic! We just couldn’t do this show straight–Lulu didn’t approve of smoking! She was then married to Maurice Gibb of the Bee Gees, whom I’d visited and shared a smoke with. I could always tell Lulu was due home when Maurice started throwing open all the windows. Anyway, I found a maintenance man and begged tools from him with the story of a lost ring. He was too helpful, offering to dismantle the drain for us. It took ages to dissuade him, but we succeeded in our task and had a great smoke.

When it was time for The Jimi Hendrix Experience to go on camera, they were feeling fairly loose. They tore through “Voodoo Child” and then the program cut to Lulu, who was squeezed awkwardly into a chair next to an audience member in the front row. “That was really hot,” she said. “Yeah. Well ladies and gentlemen, in case you didn’t know, Jimi and the boys won in a big American magazine called Billboard the group of the year.” As Lulu spoke a loud shriek of feedback threw her off balance. Was it an accident? Hendrix, of course, was a pioneer in the intentional use of feedback. A bit flustered, she continued: “And they’re gonna sing for you now the song that absolutely made them in this country, and I’d love to hear them sing it: ‘Hey Joe.’”

The band launched into the song, but midway through–before Lulu had a chance to join them onstage–Hendrix signaled to the others to quit playing. “We’d like to stop playing this rubbish,” he said, “and dedicate a song to the Cream, regardless of what kind of group they may be in. We dedicate this to Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce.” With that the band veered off into an instrumental version of “Sunshine of Your Love” by the recently disbanded Cream. Noel Redding continues the story:

This was fun for us, but producer Stanley Dorfman didn’t take it at all well as the minutes ticked by on his live show. Short of running onto the set to stop us or pulling the plug, there was nothing he could do. We played past the point where Lulu might have joined us, played through the time for talking at the end, played through Stanley tearing his hair, pointing to his watch and silently screaming at us. We played out the show. Afterwards, Dorfman refused to speak to us but the result is one of the most widely used bits of film we ever did. Certainly, it’s the most relaxed.

The stunt reportedly got Hendrix banned from the BBC–but it made rock and roll history.

7. But - it's here on the internet, so it MUST be true :D

8. empire

empire

9. Kinda makes one wonder, is this where Twinkies REALLY come from? :eek:

[​IMG]

10. lewislynn

lewislynn

Is that the road in Goldfinger where Bond nearly gets shot by the hot babe driving a 641/2 Mustang[​IMG]

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Nice tow / race van! Gary

12. Dos '58

Dos '58
    from Nor Cal

If this guy survived this incident :eek: I think he could've been the one who had the ideal for 5 point Seat Belts...

[​IMG]

well I'm glad to see these guys are wearing there hard hats...:eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  13. Doc Hubler

Doc Hubler
    from Washington

Actually, I think this is Keechelis Lake (reservoir), which is right alongside the freeway. Lake Kachess is to the right on the other side of these mtns, but accessible from near this area which is near Easton, WA.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  14. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

[​IMG]

15. If you look at the photo closely you will see there is a tether around the right side running gear and look upward and you will see another tether to the other running gear. I have no idea how or when they were done but they sure look like they are holding the plane in place.

16. Mart

Mart

Could it have run into the tethers and then just overshot enough to fall into the hole? the tethers could not have been applied after, they must have been on there first.

Mart.

17. It's possible Mart. Wish I knew but you can tell they are holding it back from falling in. They maybe a back up safety feature on deck for just that purpose?

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Old King Cole Market in Whittier,CA

Attached Files:

19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Couple of JD

Attached Files:

20. Hard to say; those pics came from a site I found online and if they were retouched, it likely occurred many years ago. It certainly wouldn't be the first time that old photos found on the web have been altered.

21. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Vintage photo's from another era.

Jimbo

22. swi66

swi66

23. swi66

swi66

24. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Halloween is comin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. swi66

swi66

26. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

OUCH, that's hot!

27. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Classy Pierce Arrow wrecker, a roadster no less!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.