Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's as bad as it looks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1/2done, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Think of how many more of our Forerodders would still be around if they had known back then how deadly some of the stuff we do is.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  2. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Well have you found something you can do inside the cold garage?
    TP

3. ...very nice job saving a poor ol coupe, it's lookin great!

4. cmat21

cmat21
    from Tennessee

Good luck with your build. It seems you will have a lot of time in the shop coming,but i have seen worse turn out well.

5. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

The garage is 72deg 24/7, I just haven't had any motivation since November. A day in the garage was planned for New Years day, instead I got the flu. Last weekend it hit the 60's here and I finished stripping the parts cars so I can get them out of the driveway.
    I'm almost 52 and I feel like I need to narrow my focus so I can finish something before I die of old age, so the Studebaker and the Olds are going to go down the road. I want to finish my Camaro for use as a daily, as long as there's no snow on the road it'll get driven. I think 14 years in pieces is long enough. I'll continue working on the 40 and decide what direction it's going once the body work is done. At least that's what my ADD addled brain is thinking today. :rolleyes:

6. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

52? You're a pup.:D

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

Even if doing it outside, be careful to not get lead dust and chips all out in your yard and on the driveway, etc. You don't want lead contamination outside either, especially if you have kids around. Personally, I'd also wear a painter's suit when doing it and just toss it in the trash when done. Not sure washing it out of your 'good' clothes will be all that effective and probably just spreads it around your house more than anything. Wear gloves too of course. Lead is actually some pretty nasty stuff. Even the Romans figured it out after a couple hundred years.

8. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I started back in on the '40. I've been trying to spend a couple hours a night welding since there's a shitload of it to do. I realized a while back it's never going to be a metal finished masterpiece, so getting it to the point a skim coat of mud will finish it is the goal now. Hell, it had a house burn down on top of it so it would be Chinese bolts by now if I wasn't a glutton for punishment.
    IMAG0288_zpsa23ffb6a.jpg
    IMAG0287_zps1d645eb2.jpg
    I'm hoping a realistic goal is primered on a solid chassis by next winter. I figure with 15-20 hours a week it should be achievable.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  9. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

You know I have been watching this thread and I must say your work is fanstastic, I bitch and moan about my car and hell it is just my fuck-ups I am trying to fix, not fire damage! But the real thing you should be proud of is with the way things are these days, yes you can go out and buy a new 40 body, but you are saving a REAL car, that is so special, that is something that will always be with us, and that makes what you are doing really special and for that I want to say thank you from the old car community, so thank you for saving a 40 coupe and making it Cool after it was Hot! Jim:D

10. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mine wasn't qiute that bad when I got it. But it was pretty bad. Been working on it off and on for 6-7 years. Hope to drive it this summer. Don't have a whole lot of info. But what I do have I would be happy to share. Gene.

11. Bugguts

Bugguts

Man o man! Your making a car here. And a cool one at that. Just found and read the whole thread, and really enjoyed it. Your doing a great job. Hope you don't quite till you see it finished. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished project. Good luck.

12. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Bill -- good to see you are back at it!

Malcolm

13. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I spent the weekend welding and got all the structural welds done so I was able to remove the bracing, and the doors still open and close. :D I'm going to get the doors and door openings done then make some body mounts for the rear so I can cut the floor out. I'd like to get a floor in before I remove the body again to repair the frame.
    IMAG0289_zps771882fc.jpg
    IMAG0290_zpsef5cec3a.jpg

14. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I'd like to see some pictures.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing it finished too.

Thanks Nick!

15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If some of the early predictions come true and paint won't stick to it you may have a "metal finish masterpiece". At any rate you have a masterpiece and what matters it that it is shaped like a '40 coupe again not what sticks to it. Great job and thanks for showing us your work.

16. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Looking great! You mentioned chopping and sectioning. Love chops, sectioning not so much... Keep up the good work and don't get frustrated, spring is almost here!

17. tinmann

tinmann

Wow..... I just got caught up. The great work continues. I bought the remains of a '40 coupe last spring. I already had the remains of two crappy '39 coupes. You've got me thinking chopped coupe again.......

Thanks for that......

......and please continue posting updates.

18. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I think I have a solution to my paint dilemma. POR15 makes a primer to go over the rust preventive paint that will accept top coat finishes including lacquer. http://www.por15.com/TIE-COAT-PRIMER/productinfo/TCG/
    After I lead all the welded seams I'll paint the whole car with POR15, scuff, do bodywork, then prime with the Tie Coat. Then I think I'll opt for a cheap lacquer dark blue or maroon paint job. The inside of all panels will get the rust cleaned off then coated with Chassis Saver paint. I don't want the plastic coated look that comes with a BC/CC, I'd be thrilled if it came out with a soft aged looking shine. It's either that or Rustoleum with a brush.

19. ninosdad

ninosdad

Having done exactly one fire car over the years my thoughts are never again, but you have a great car at a rough starting place. get it media blasted and primed then start on the rust and melted lead. GOOD LUCK who doesn't like 40 Fords?

20. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I got a chance to do a little work here and there through the last week and managed to get all the filler pieces for the right side fabbed and welded in. Once the left side is done I'll start another set of drip rails, then hopefully bodywork and primer.
    IMAG0300_zps751a4803.jpg

21. big creep

big creep

looking awesome!

22. Haven't been on here for a while. Glad to see you are still progressing and it's looking very good. Keep up the good work and get that thing finished!!!!!

23. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Your '40 is looking great and I sure commend you for the work you've done!

24. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

It's tucked away in the storage garage for the time being while I get an O/T car ready for The Ohio Mile. July's meet isn't looking too promising but September is a definate maybe. :rolleyes:

25. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Let's see the definite maybe!
    TP

26. 1940 coupe

1940 coupe
    from nj

that's some nice metal work .looks great

27. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I ran out of money before I ran out of time. I didn't even get to go spectate, instead I spent the weekend digging up a water line and pulling a well pump. I'm not going to post pics of the O/T car in light of the new rules enforcement, I don't want my build thread closed. I have moved the 40 back in to the main garage so I can get back at it.
    1233347_10201962770774979_1015897109_n_zps9224788a.jpg

28. WOW!-great build and an even greater save
    Truly an inspiration.

29. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I did a little work the last couple nights. The welding on the door tops and roof section is done.
    I did the door top last night.
    1374867_10202203039901557_1876620284_n_zps7b1b1764.jpg
    And did the roof section tonight.
    1379666_10202209512343364_186428893_n_zps9d73cd8f.jpg
    The Pumpkin Run is this weekend, I was going to go in an O/T car but I think I'll work on the coupe instead.