Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody goin to the Lambrecht Chevrolet auction?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clean cut creations, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I just hope this auction will not have a lasting effect with people thinking their junk is gold,if it does I might just sell all my stuff and find another hobby.

2. At least, if it does, you can get more money for you stuff...right???

3. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I would take advantage of it but to be honest if I did sell I would not know what to do with myself but would go crazy with old lawn tractors.

4. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I just realized I haven't posted on this thread yet

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Sqeaky Hinge

Sqeaky Hinge

I have some tri-fives going cheap , considering whjat they brought out in Pierce , Nebraska...lol, only 10 grand a piece...lmfao

Attached Files:

6. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Somewhat related, and years ago I've voiced this opinion here. I can't stand to read the opinions that decry the cost of the "hobby". The HOBBY is an industry worth billions. The HOBBY employs millions of people who service, restore, modify and manufacture, several right here within our ranks. The HOBBY would be nothing without that. It would be less than nothing. Sometimes it reads like some poor soul has lost the right, the god given opportunity to have an old car or hot rod. The vast majority of those with the most enviable of cars, parts, collections, and everything in between, have excelled in one way or another to get there. The 1st cousin to this mindset insults and degrades the concept of considering the future value of some of our raw material. Like it's this heinous negative to restrain one's self during the process of a build for the simple reason of future value or investment quality. It's a sin, a cancer within our "body" of automotive enthusiasts. Yet one day reality will hit those folks. Their boss turns out to be a crook and they lose everything. Someone in the family gets sick or injured beyond insurance coverage. A storm destroys most everything, again beyond insurance coverage. Nobody faced with that will simply liquidate that precious piece of "hobby" for the dollars they've spent alone, their going to get every last penny and enjoy that "evil smile" they envision when those increased prices help them.

Something like this topic, this auction, is a misunderstood blip in the radar. A tremor on our Richter scales. To think it's time to cry in your beer because of some inflated prices? I'll refrain my real comment to that. Someone earlier mentioned 1 thing that might inflate something from this sale. The experience of starting at truly 1 or 2 digit miles, even if a restoration is performed. Add the fever pitch to that thought and we may be getting close to a better understanding. And my last thought/question/observation. Suppose you were that family from the B-J a couple years ago that built your own "Eleanore" Mustang, you decided to sell it so you can expand you business, you figure when you net $80K you'll be happy. All of a sudden you find your hammer price $200K more, it sells for $280K. Show of hands, who's going to give back that $175K (commissions removed) to keep prices down for the humble hobbyist?

Yeah, that's what I thought...

7. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

8. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Highlander, that was far to insightful for this thread...Duh would have been a better response...LOL!! Jim

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Wise words, Highlander. Thank you.

10. 5window

5window

Most of us will never recoup what we've put into our cars. We do it because it's our hobby-our passion. That being said old cars and hot rods are only financially worth what the next person will pay-it doesn't matter how much has been invested.

11. phat rat

phat rat

The problem is, there will always be those who whine about life. They think they are owed, that somebody shouldn't have what they can't have. It doesn't matter that the other person worked long and hard to accumulate what they have, they should be sharing it. How many times do we get a bitching thread about how someone wanted to buy a car but the owner wouldn't sell. BAD OWNER he doesn't deserve to have it because I want it!!!

12. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

Well said.

I would argue that the cost of this hobby is what the hobbyist is willing to spend. There is no requirement to spend huge amounts of money. It's entirely a choice.

I might also argue that the person who buys an "Eleanore" Mustang is not a hobbyist but a collector.

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I come to the HAMB for old cars, but stick around for the bellyaching.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Still going, eh?

15. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I didn't read all the replies but I think I can explain the "passed" cars. Sometimes, actually fairly often an auctioneer will find out their online description is flawed, or maybe maybe something happened to the item. They'll pass up the item online but sell it to someone onsite (who they're sure heard the revised description).

Minimum bid being set at scrap price is pretty common.

Not being able to buy parts off the cars that were sold for scrap is understandable. To sell parts the owner would likely need to have an auto dismantler's license....not to mention the necessary liability insurance. The answer is to bid to buy, remove the parts you want and scrap the rest.

Bid calling is the least important aspect of being an auctioneer. Vanderbrink is obviously an outstanding auctioneer.

To all those that say the cars, trucks and yardstick prices were too high.... Those cars trucks and yardsticks were worth what they brought that day. No one held a gun to anyone's head making them bid higher. Prices had nothing to do with the hype. Face it, no one NEEDED anything that was sold at that auction. The desire to own a collectible often outweighs what an item would be worth to most people.
    I doubt there will be mass buyer's remorse. Those buyers knew what they were doing. Would I pay those big prices? No. Does it bother me that someone else paid those big prices? No.
    Do I care that Mr. Lambrecht would have been better off financially to sell those cars 45 or 50 years ago? No. Does it bother me that Mr. Lambrecht chose to let HIS cars sit outside and rot? Not a bit. They were HIS cars do do with as he pleased. Plus if he had sold them before most would have been scrapped by now.

Congrats to those that bought something they wanted. Congrats to the seller and congrats to the auctioneer for a successful sale.

16. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

There was one car there I wanted....guess....that's right!!! the 50 merc!!! And those ass holes bid it up too high, I was willing to give 10 dollars for it, but they just kept bidding it up, that's whats wrong with our hobby I just cant afford the cars I want and they should give them to me because I want them and I cant have them because they pay too much for them and I don't have enough money and and and....Oh yea....what was this thread about again????? Jim

17. fuzzface

fuzzface

Well the yardstick on ebay finally has an opening bid of $100.00 on it with 4 days to go. Still haven't located any cars or trucks listed yet that I know of that came from the L. auction.

This last spring I went to a living estate auction for a person that had a john deere dealership 30 years ago. He had a whole stack of fly swatters with the dealership name on and they got $35.00 for some of them, cheapest was $15.00 each. They were handing out key chains at the auction start with their logo on, I bet they wished they sold them instead. Also there was 2 used walking canes with the J.D logo on it and they brought $135.00 each. One of the miscellaneous boxes I brought for $18.00, I found a brand new one still in the box in it.

18. ems customer service

ems customer service

i told ya!

19. ems customer service

ems customer service

2nd

20. Model T1

Model T1

As several members mentioned----------- ITS A HOBBY.
    Well for many of us, and a business for others. Let's keep the hobby alive and the business people will survive, making this hobby more enjoyable for everyone.
    People who golf, fish, fly model airplanes, bowl and many other hobbys aren't in it to make money. Why is money so important to our hobby? Whatever we get out of our junk when we are finished is gravey.
    Thank goodness we had some entertainment for awhile to take our little minds off the real fucked up world. :rolleyes:
    Not as eloquant as Highlander but something to ponder.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Because I was told the guy with the gennie 39 Ford Cpe hot rod decided not to just give it to me now because my hair is too grey. If I want it I gotta pay for it. Oh yeah, and pay market value too. What a dick. So now I'm workin on Ryan. I'm gonna talk him into just giving me his. I'm certain I can count on all my hobbyist friends to help me get it, right? :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Too many seem to forget, the MSO vehicles are an unprecedented lot, how do you put a value on them? The value is, whatever someone will pay for it and we saw what that was at the Lambrecht auction. I doubt there will ever be another auction like this, not many people would have ever left all of those vehicles set to be part of a happening such as this one. I personally felt that the prices paid for almost all of these was higher than I would ever consider paying for them, but if I had more money I would have loved to buy back the 1963 Impala SS that I traded in 1967 https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDet...7400628&title=1963-Chevrolet-Impala-SS-2dr-HT and I thought it would be more valuable to me since I was the original owner but I guess not. I just hope that the person that did buy it contacts me to get imformation about the car because I would like to see how he does fix it up.

23. oh.....and lot #274 - what's it worth ????

just funnin'.....

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's page 30. Can we go back to focusing?

25. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

NO! "We" must remain stuck here bumping this thread.

26. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I love this, if people are so concerned about the length of this thread, don't add your comments. That is the only way to end this

27. ems customer service

ems customer service

no please refer back to 49ratfink's comment your here for the bellyaching

28. 5window

5window

OK, I won't

29. phat rat

phat rat

I just ran across a fact about the 58 Cameo, in 1958 there were only 1405 produced. So how many do you suppose have survived? That certainly has a bearing on the worth no matter the condition.

30. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I don't believe it is for "onsite" because that was shown as the high bidder on proxibid on many of the vehicles before the auction started. They said they had some people interested in purchasing the whole collection and bypass the auction, maybe o****e is one of those people? I hope to find out one day, if the buyer of my old 1963 Impala SS contacts me while researching the car, it was bought by o****e.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.