Register now to get rid of these ads!

I too am building a SBF 302-couple questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tapkoote, Oct 1, 2013.

1. tapkoote

tapkoote

Didn't want to cut into Mike51's thread but read-
    "If you haven't bought the intake yet, I would skip the Performer and go straight to the Performer RPM,as the Performer doesn't really provide a performance increase,mostly just a weight savings over the stock cast iron intake."
    I have bought this intake, should be here tomorrow, it's not cnc machined. So I may have to do some gasket matching, and could use some direction on that.
    The reason I got it, is low end grunt. This will be a DD with a couple trips down the strip in summer.E performer heads to match and 498 lift roller cam. (1500- 5200 rpm)
    This is a 90 lincoln scrap yard motor , am I correct in thinking it's the 351 firing order?
    And what about the fuel pump eccentric, should I get a special fit one?
    And what about balancing, using stock crank/rods/cast 30 over pistons?
    Thanks for any help Pat

2. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Firing order is based on the cam. Check the can card it should tell you.
    I don't know what you mean by a special fit eccentric, should use a standerd one from an older engine... need to make sure your dowel and bolt are long enough, and will need a different front cover - or run an electric pump.
    And what about balancing? Its just like any other engine... Yes, its a good idea, but not necessary in a street engine at 5,000 rpm. Just make sure you use the right balancer and flywheel. 28 or 50 oz...

3. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

For your RPM range, the performer is fine. It really isn't that great on a warmed up 302 but your about 1000rpm shy of that.

The firing order depends on if your motor has the roller cam in it. I believe the non-HO motors kept the flat tappets but there's got to be a cut-off for the non-HO stuff. The 351/roller 302 firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 so you could check that and if you have that order its for sure a roller cam.

A 1990 302 will for sure have the 50oz imbalance.

4. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

Sorry, I was thinking for the aftermarket cam. For stock, Tyler is correct.

If you swap the cam out, firing order is based on the way the cam is ground.

Buy a "351/302HO" grind, they run better, and just route the plug wires to that firing order.
    If you have a choice, get a factory roller block. It's cheaper/easier to put an aftermarket roller cam in. i.e. everything else works with it. If you have a flat tappet block, you can convert it, but you'll need lifters, H-bars & spider & drill/tap the block (holds the lifters in) OR tie bar lifters, pushrods, and valvesprings to match the cam.
    Of course, you can get a lot of aftermarket flat tappet cams.. just make sure you put the additive in the oil (Break-In lube, and ZDDP with oil changes) so you dont tear it up.

5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

90 will be a roller block.

6. tapkoote

tapkoote

It's definitely a roller block, the block and crank are in the machine shop, but I didn't pay any attention to firing order. And what does the HO stand for? Is that just the late model 5.0?
    The reason I ask about the eccentric on an aftermarket cam, I read where guys are having clearance problems with the water pump housing.
    thanks Pat

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

H O is "high output", used in 90's Mustangs and an option for T-Bird. It was the "roller block", with the "Windsor" 1 3 7 2 6 5 4 8 firing order.

4TTRUK

8. Kamp

Kamp
    from Peoria, IL

I believe the eccentric would be spaced the same as on any other 302, compared to the block, as it rides on the front of the timing gear, which rides on the cam retainer. Seems like Ford had a 2 piece one or something for a while, but I always use the old standard one piece lobe. The main difference would be the front cover (water pump housing?) because the '90 wouldn't be set up for a mechanical pump. I don't know if it would fit or not, but I don't think you could put a pump on it anyway.

9. tapkoote

tapkoote

I'll have to get an early model water pump, but I don't understand why those guys were having clearance problems.
    I'll do some more searching.
    Got other things to think about tonight.
    They sent me the wrong heads, guess I'm going with the performer RPM heads after all. The others are flat tappet only. Sh%t

10. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Just to add . . . the non-HOs used the roller block as well, just with flat tappets. I bought a 90 302 truck motor to start a build for my old falcon and it was a roller cam block but with the flat tappets.

Block casting is XXX or YYY