Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Gear Jam Drags, Rod n Custom Show, Swap Meet; Sept. 28

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Brad54, Aug 12, 2013.

1. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

A few more , I hope they are ok .

Attached Files:

2. D.R.Smith

D.R.Smith

Until next year.

Attached Files:

3. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

4. Here's a few more pics of the show.....Gotta give Brad and all involved many thanks and kudos for putting together a really enjoyable show and drags.

Attached Files:

5. more....

Attached Files:

6. no real rhyme or reason to these....

Attached Files:

7. and a few more.....

Attached Files:

8. last few....

Attached Files:

9. 59 brook

59 brook

well 1700+ miles and I am home . the trip was awesome . Friday I drove the roads called six gun ,think tail of the dragon shorter byt wickeder .Friday night cruise was cool and I did go see snake and the mongoose some awesome old drag racing shots, kinda sad ending . sat show was awesome and to top it off I got best hot rod at the show. then a stop on the way home at summit racing and life is g ood

Attached Files:

10. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

59Brook, I didn't realize who you were until you were getting in your car to leave the movie!

We'll have to go on another date next year. :eek:

Congrats on the award!

11. scottmech

scottmech
    from GA

Wasn't a problem between racers and management. Problem was that the format chosen to run eliminations was difficult to implement...both due to the format itself and the track personnel not being familiar with it.

Qualifying was easy. You just ran the next guy in line.

In eliminations, they wanted to pair you up with a specific opponent. The fast 8 were organized in a pro ladder, while the rest of the field was supposed to be paired up to the guy that ran the closest time to you in qualifying.

Bottom line.....it seemed like it was too difficult to organize specific match ups in the lanes. Some guys didn't show up, some were late, and some were in 2 classes. Just didn't end up being as efficient as hoped. The track personnel did what they could with what they were given.

Think there may be a way to keep the fans and racers happy and keep the racing moving along.

Keep the qualifying runs. Everyone seemed to like that even if the cars weren't close.

When it comes to eliminations....leave out the pairing up of specific opponents.
    Instead, let the drivers choose their dial ins or use the fastest qualifying time from the qualifying sessions.
    Next, do a heads up start...both cars leaving the line at the same time. Think that's what fans want to see.
    Last, who ever runs the closest to your time without going over wins.

As for the quick 8......can take it or leave it. This kind of racing is fun when the field is close, but when the times in the quick 8 spread out over 2 sec spread.....kind of takes the fun out of it.

I realize you can't satisfy everyone....but thought this might be a decent compromise.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  12. 59 brook

59 brook

I'm coming back for the moonshine festival in Dawsonville if you will be there we can have another cheap date

13. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

That's funny, that's my son's bicycle! It was all chromed until he fixed it.

-Brad

14. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Your analysis of the problem was correct--I had four meetings with the track prior to the event, and we went over it in every meeting.
    Saturday Eliminations, and it was Bedlam.

The way you suggested how it should run WAS the way we had discussed it. Almost exactly. And you're right--there's no other event that's run this way, so it is complicated because it's new and different.

I had a meeting with the track today, paid for the event, discussed the snafu, and we're on for next year. Now that the track knows what's going on, it should be a lot easier to implement next year.

I've gotten a ton of emails from guys who were just raving about how many passes they got to make, how they loved the heads-up format, etc. Hog Mountain Dave even said this was the best time he's ever had at Atlanta Dragway and he's been racing there for 33 years! And he's not the only racer that told me they had more fun here than any other event.

THAT is why I did the format I did. I know that a lot of the guys who came to race aren't pro racers or regular bracket racers... they built these cars to take them out a few times a year and race other cars like theirs.
    To me, that means "Let them make as many passes as they can at my event."
    And pair them up with someone close, so a 15 second car isn't leaving with a 10 second car.

I suspect that with the success of this first event, we'll have more evenly-matched competition in the Quick 8 next year too.

I'm already working on contacting racing groups to get The Gear Jam's 2nd Gear on their schedules for next year.

-Brad

15. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

In the spirit of being accurate - I said I've been going to Commerce for 33 years. Raced there infrequently for about 16 yrs. Still the most enjoyable trip, racing or otherwise, that our group has had up there.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  16. Moon Rocket

Moon Rocket
    BANNED
    from GA

I'll be there if the creek don't rise!

I'll be in a red and white early Bronco half cab, (4 sale). That's Ford country you know. ;)

17. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Thanks for the clarification.
    I didn't think you were that old!

And thanks for bringing that Camaro... that car was sooooo bitchin! I only got to see three passes, and that car was one of them. Very cool car.

-Brad

18. Cabbage

Cabbage
    1. S.F.C.C.

HUGE thanks to Brad and Andrew for putting on the Gear Jam! You guys knocked it outta da park!!! Everything from the preparty to the drags........it was AWESOME time. Especially liked camping at the track friday night and waking up to the swap meet :) I know its a unbelievable amount of work and headaches to make this shit happen. Thanks guys YOU ROCK!!!! I think all the Socks had a "LARGE" time ;) Cant wait for next year

19. joespanova

joespanova
    from Ga

Brad , did you post results and qualifying anywhere?

20. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

White Nova with a stick right? Always like watching you run. I thought you were #1. I think we were #5. It was a little confusing there in the lanes.

21. joespanova

joespanova
    from Ga

Yes , tis me.
    I broke 3rd gear in the semi's , actually the faceplate broke from its weld. I think I'm too hard on the trans , LOL....... New gear on the way.......trying to get ready for the Atanta 10,000.

22. hog mtn dave

hog mtn dave

I hope you get it fixed. We'll look for you there. No Hellzapop'n Coupe, but the HMG Camaro and maybe a black Nova.

23. joespanova

joespanova
    from Ga

I'm sure I'll make it.....see you there , stop by.

24. Anyone stumble onto an orange chain brake and a bout a 15 foot chain that got away from me that weekend?? If not,, oh well!!! Once again, Great show Brad!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Didn't see that chain Stewed man! Your boots are on their way back. That was a life saver as the pit grass was soaking wet Friday night. My old sneakers wouldn't have lasted till 3 in the morning like them boots did!

I wanted to say Thanks for the awesome "Best Louvers" sign. That thing is bad ass! It's got one hell of a set of louvers and paint and letter job on it. It's signed last name Robinson. Not sure what the first letter is. Thanks and I appreciate the work that went into that sign!!

26. Tudor,

John Sizemore is responsible for the louvers, but I don't remember who striped it for him :D

And congrats again!

27. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

Good Job Brad, hope it grows for years to come. I'm stoked I got a T56 for my 354 there been looking for a while with no luck, but there she was at the GEAR JAM.

28. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Thanks everyone, I'm glad you all had a good time!
    We're working with the track to set the date for 2nd Gear next year--it'll be in September again, more than likely the same weekend.

Boy Wonder FINALLY got a taste of what really running a show is like, too... a couple days later we were talking about it, he looked at me exhausted-like and said "And I NEVER got a chance to just look at the show or watch the races or look at the cars... Even when I was eating lunch in the tower trying to watch the races, I was on the radio the whole time telling guys what to do or taking care of problems. And then I didn't even get to finish my lunch because I had to go deal with something!"

I just laughed and said "You actually had time for lunch?! Damn, that musta been nice!"

We had 19 people scheduled to work the event... When the gates opened at 6am, nine of them were there, and three more arrived by mid-morning.

I'm pretty pleased that my crew was able to handle things as well as they did, at less than half strength.

Hopefully, next year I'll get to actually watch a few passes and see some of the show!

-Brad

29. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

And, I should add, the city of Commerce was absolutely thrilled with Cruisin' Commerce, and they're already putting it on the calendar for next year.

Apparently, a bunch of rowdy hot rodders descending on the town is the best thing that's happened there in decades!

-Brad

30. the carfather

the carfather

Track announcer was calling out over the P A system that a chain break had been found Sunday afternoon. Might call the track or send them an email: www.atlantadragway.com