Register now to get rid of these ads!

My new project 1951 Buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by aw1950, Oct 18, 2010.

1. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Glad to see your back on it.

2. Thanks cowboy 1 . Did you move to the big T / Andy..

3. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Not yet. Our current home is going on the market this weekend. We are hopeing it sells quickly.

4. Been awhile since I got to check out your build Andy, Cars looking great! Keep at it!
    Trent

5. Thanks Trent . You getting any work done on projects . I seem to recall a 29 Chev in the works ? Anything to share on that with us ?

6. some serious work has been done here

keep up the good work =)

7. koolkemp

koolkemp

Glad to see your thread back up Andy!! I have to keep dodging bullets from followers waiting for me to update mine ....soon I promise !!

8. Orn

Orn

Looking good. Keep it up Andy!

9. Thanks , good thing I enjoy a challenge LOL !

Orn I am speechless , your Olds is top shelf . Anybody reading this check out Orns build on his olds . Hes quite the fabricator . Andy..

10. Well finished the shrinker and stretcher stand . I made it so it turns 360 degrees so you can shrink or stretch . It takes up less space this way . Now I can get back to work on the Buick , maybe . A job just came into my shop . An off topic beemer came in with a large gash in the rocker panel . Some quick money for a relatively fast job . Andy..

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      377.7 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      344.4 KB
      Views:
  11. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Here's my 52 special. The drivers compartment floor boards are shot like yours.the trunk is solid, even the spare tire well. Aside from a few small areas that will need patch work on the exterior.the car is pretty solid. I got it back in August of this yr. It came from Alaska.

Attached Files:

12. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Nice...really nice. Your first attempt had a hump at the rear, and that's ok if your a female..lol.but in all honesty, didn't flow right.
    You buford came a long ways and its looking mighty fine.keep up the great craftman ship.
    You re-chop looks superb. Esoteric!

Buickvalvenut

13. You get that from a fellow hamber on here ? I cant remember his name but he was from Alaska ( Ancorage ) I believe .Same color same model car !! I remember saying to myself , Alaska ? and in this condition . Go figure . Good score for you man .

Yea the hump had to go . There was no flow at all and the sailpanel was way to fat . Thanks for the comments . Whats the plans for you ? Chop ?

14. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

Mild custom. If I'm correct, the 51&52 special HT have a lower profile to the roof, front and rear glass Is shorter, not sure by how much.but i would like to chop it using those and the roof skin, wich is also shorter, judging by the are beetween the deck lid and roof beeing longer, we'll see whuts up.
    I also plan on rounding the front door corners as well as the hood were it meets the door, all this will be done and still be able to remove them by unscrewing some bolts(seems will be hidden and buick features incorporated ; ] ).
    I will remove the main hood ornament and deck lid handle, all else will stay.I might mildly peak the hood. My goal is to add mods that will leave people wondering and asking " what was done to it?, " I will call her the " 1952 Buick Limited "

I will also be replacing the dash with one off a 1950 Buick super.might also go with a 53 buick steering wheel.

Attached Files:

15. Looks great Andy
    I love what you did with the shrinker/stretcher stand! So much better than what you can buy!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. Oh! By the way, how thick steel did you use for the tool mounting plate on your stand?

17. Thanks for the positive approval Kuztom . I used 3/8 or 10mm as the mounting plate for the shrinker / stretcher . Probably overkill but that's what was at the local metal supply house in the scrap section at the time. Definately wont flex under usage that's for sure .:D

18. hacknwhack

hacknwhack
    from mass

glad your back on it. lookin good Andy.
    its funny i shaved my portholes over summer too!

19. Vary innovative thingamabob, for sure! Nicely done.....

Same goes for your build in general; it takes a lot of....umm.....courage,
    as well as skill, to tackle this kind of sheet metal work and rust repair.
    Hats off to ya!

20. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Keep it up Andy, it's been a while since I last checked in on your Buick. Great work as always!
    Andrew

21. Thanks hacknwack . I like the closed in porthole look . The fender looks longer now that there is nothing diverting your eyes. Your thread has no progress pictures . Care to send some my way to see what you've been up to ?

Thanks Rokit , that shrinker / stretcher stand allows metal to be worked better as you have more leverage to shrink and stretch with . I checked your thread out . You need to post some of the progress your making on the 36 . Indeed it would most likely be the longest rebuild on the HAMB . Post some more pictures . 36 Fords ? Cant get enough of them ! Andy

22. Well thanks man . I had quite a long break from the project but there should be some more progress in the near future . Do you currently have a project going on ? I don't see a thread for one . Ya holding out on us ? Later , Andy..

23. diamonddrew

diamonddrew

Not holding out. I sold the 52 Roadmaster last fall. Nothing to replace it yet. Living through all the Buick threads on the HAMB for now.
    Andrew

24. Well here is all I could squeeze out for accomplishment on my week of holidays . My plow truck ate up most of my time last week .Winters coming :eek: . Anyway as I said before progress is progress . Started to tie in the quarter panel with the trunk drop off . I removed 3/4 of an inch of the old OT :rolleyes: trunk floor drop then made up this here extension piece . Also finished a short extension to finish off the quarter panel lip . 2 1/2 hours later and its time to pack it in . 2 1/2 hours in 10 days off !! WTF !!:mad: PS Got a little artsy fartsy with the computer program . I like these black and whites !!

Attached Files:

25. wow! You and KoolKemp are just inspiring. The cars you started with were "trashed with rust" yet you dig in and create such beautiful pieces of rolling art. It's cool to see how you make the different pieces for your car's panels using modest tools of the trade. Keep up the great work! The last 3/4 shot of your car is amazing. I love the lines of it and seeing how it is taking shape.

26. Thanks Dave . Did you get those kingpins installed yet ? $175.00 is a lot better than $500.00 . Pays to shop around , for everything !

27. Well this stuff takes time , Inner wheel well . Right rear . 4 hours to make a panel 16" X 12" . Made the main filler panel then 2 other panels welded to the main panel to make the complete inner wheel well panel . The shrinker and stretcher is the ticket on stuff like this . I had to replicate the wheel arch lip so I could have a flange to plug weld to . That replicated arch is welded to my main panel and will be then plug welded to the quarterpanel wheelwell lip . First picture is the hole that needs repaired and the second , well it speaks for itself . Clamped for now maybe welded in tomorrow. This sure is starting to strengthen the quarter panel area that's for sure . Andy..

Attached Files:

28. I did get the kingpins installed. I plan to update my thread tonight with pics! :D

29. Getting work done? I'd love to lie to you and say yes! haha.... but the 29 is coming along slowly, we had it back to the body shop to finish getting the fenders and front clip installed and a few touch ups done, have some wiring left to do, fuel lines to run and it should be good to go!

If your able to find the current issue of Garage Shots Magazine theres a beautifully written 4 page article about Dad's Service Station and the 29. This was Dad's first car that he bought in 1963 when he was 17, he was the 2nd owner. Dad bought the car back in the fall of 2009 and this past July was the 50th anniversary of him purchasing the car, It may be at speedsport in the spring, but more then likely will make its debut at the At Nats in July.

Here's a couple of current pictures
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

I've been working in my shop at home the past few weeks getting things sorted and cleaned up making room to work on my 49 Plymouth coupe, soon i'll be cutting and grinding just like you!
    This is the 49 back in 2010 when I last ran it, You probably had sen it at a cruise or the At nats.
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

As it sits today
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]
    You can see where the tape is that I plan on making the cuts, 4 1/2" out of the top, engine set back 10" behind the front axle with 36" from crank centerline to the ground, 10" out of the frame etc. etc. etc.
    And what I hope it will look like at the end!
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]
    Picture of the original car in the middle of the build
    [​IMG]</a>[/IMG]

Keep up the good work on the Buick Andy, I'm gonna need the inspiration! haha

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014