Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

If I was to run turn signals that would be the plan. I don't on open cars though, personally. I find that hand signaling in an open car like this draws more attention to you these days than turn signals that 90% of the population doesn't see or use anyway.

2. verde742

verde742

I absolutely agree, but at night they glow, and most hands don't

a flashing orange lite even under the frame shows up well..

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And that's the only time I use mine. At night.:D

4. alchemy

alchemy

Maybe he eats lots of Cheetos?

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I could!:D

6. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

i put signals on the rear only on my roadster because I'm not sure if the morons out there know what hand signals are!

7. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

That's kinda the point though. In an 80 year old open car, you are already drawing quite a bit of attention to your self. When you couple that with using an archaic form of signaling, you stand out quite radically from the normal traffic. The idiots might not know WHAT you are doing, but they do know THAT you are doing something, and that's the whole idea of the game. I live in a huge city, right dead center of the middle of it, and I watch people's driving habits everyday. I have noticed that attention is paid when something is "different". I RARELY ever see turn signals being used these days, and nobody pays attention when some one does. I actually got in a shouting match with a Phoenix policeman a couple of months ago over this very problem. He was dicking with his computer, no signal, came over into my lane and got an earful. I'm not saying that this is the best course for everybody, but it's the one I'm comfortable with after an entire life of driving basically nothing but vintage cars and motorcycles.

Where this might not work is out in less developed areas where you might have to wait for driveway entrance on a main highway in the dark. It's pretty rare that I have that situation to deal with being that 99% of my driving is on well lit city streets.

8. verde742

verde742

gee,, glad I brought it up....

9. Might I suggest a pair of these?
    [​IMG]

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

On a T Bucket, the last thing someone's going to notice is a 1"X1" blinking light, surrounded by chrome or maybe hidden by a front tire (like mine are). I use mine at night, when there are other drivers around me. During the day? Rarely. As was mentioned, people notice what's different. A blinking light, during the day, isn't going to get noticed on a T Bucket. I've tried it.

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I'd even go for the three fingers on that one!

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

see!!!:d

13. verde742

verde742

When the middle finger, really is the middle finger !!!

good one !!!!!

14. verde742

verde742

HEY, I resemble that remark !!!!

15. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

Agreed. :D

16. jalopy45

jalopy45

Can you make the middle finger blink?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  17. Wellllll let me say this about that. Here in wonderful So Cal when a car is approaching you with its turn signal on the only thing you can be sure of is that the light works and nothing else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brEad likes this.
  18. MGene

MGene
    from iv cal

mr louver what did you use to cut the seat frame down with to get straight lines all the way to the end of the cut.

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

It's all where you draw the line. If any of us were really worried about safety we wouldn't be in this hobby. We would be driving new Volvos. Or hiding in closets. After that we all have to make our own decisions as to how much lack of safety we are comfortable with. If you drive a T bucket you are comfortable with not much safety to begin with. Yes not have turn signals make it slightly less safe but then I like to get out of my closet sometimes.
    Well you know what I mean.

brEad likes this.
  20. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Stuff I SHOULDN'T have used! I actually used a air powered die grinder and a cut off wheel. I have to admit that my hot rodding tools are quite a bit more plentiful than my House rodding tools, so I usually default to what I have got. That, in this case was a poor choice!

21. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

...I'm here for the Cheetos.

rear signals yes, fronts not so much. I run them on my bikes the same way, more concerned w/ getting rear-ended than oncoming traffic wondering what I'm up to.

Headers are looking really good! The grill shell is looking far better than i imagined, also. nice nice

22. This is where you need to go!!
    [​IMG]

23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Everyone on the road needs to know what you are up to especially the poor guy on a motorcycle who needs to know if you are planning to turn left in front of him with the typical lame assed excuse "I didn't see him."

Signal lights are on vehicles not just for you but for good reason.

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Clearly Fuzzy is a man of taste and distinction...:D

25. johnod

johnod

Ya, that's a good place.:)

26. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

27. mustang9093

mustang9093
    from Indiana

Just finishing this one

Attached Files:

brEad likes this.
  28. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

29. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

maybe, but...

In over 20 years being that "poor guy" on a motorcycle, more than a couple times I've encountered someone turning in front of me, fully equipped w/ indicators but not bothering using them.

so...how about that bucket of ugly?