Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects from a 63 year slumber to the "Race of Gentlemen" 33 5 wdw ford "

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by HOLLYWQQD, Aug 6, 2013.

1. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

I apologize for some of the language and general stupidity but it is officially a running and moving vehicle . i took it out for a lap around the shop and then had freddie POMP and sniff take it out for a lap or two so i could get some bad video of it. still have no brakes . gonna do those this week i have all new brake cylinders ready to go and gotta get a set of shoes re lined ,but should be able to get glass in it within the next week and button up the brakes . bolt down the seat and floor sections and permanent wire it and have a week or two to beat on it around here a little to make sure it's ready for the beach !!! WOO HOO this thing went from not running or moving in 64 years (i've had it a year) to driving under its own power tonight in about 3 weeks with a motor and tranny swap and just basic clean up ,somewhat permanent temporary battery box and fuel cell in the back !!!

<embed src="http://img19.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Px94rzkcdcprqnrnwoopmms" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="500" width="640">

[Upload your own video]

2. Church

Church
    from South Bay

What a fantastic looking ride. And that lettering is spot on! BRAVO!!!!!!

3. AHotRod

AHotRod

It looks and sounds sweet, job well done.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That sounds bad asss!

5. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

had to get some gauges in the ol girl to keep an eye on things with the motor . the dash in the car was pretty tore up from the years ! i grabbed a piece of aluminum and shaped it and grabbed some well aged SW gauges and layed em out in a simple pattern and mounted a key switch and a headlight toggle . had a 33 ford 30 years of progress coin and thought it would look decent on there so that is it's new home . new dash is simple and effective for now and will get me through the ROG !!

it looks a little new but it will age in OK i hope

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Now that is a hot rod! Great work and sounds fantastic!

7. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

That dash panel is TITS!

8. 32ford5

32ford5
    from Australia

Hahaha...classic

Great sound.

9. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

hey do you know what cam is in that motor ?

10. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

i don't , i wish i did , i asked the guy that built it and his response was

" it's a hot mill daddy-o , i did whatever i could to make it as fast as a stock 302"

he wasn't really helpful !

11. Very cool!
    This is the essence of what a HotRod is

12. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Jealous. It's such a killer coupe.

13. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Holy crap that's bad ass. Congrats and have fun!!!

14. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

thanx guys , i'm pretty happy with it so far , i'm so torn over what to do with this car !!! for now it will stay as you see it here in this thread . i have all of the patch panels for it and wouldn't mind after the ROG maybe chipping away at some metal repair stuff as it really deserves to be brought back to solid ! my original intention was to sit on this car until i was ready to tear it completely apart and lower it a little bit more maybe flattened cross members and split bones , reverse eye springs etc.etc. and get some paint and interior done on it, but the more i see it like this the more i think it looks the way it wants to look !! some of my buddies say leave it and if i want a lowered chopped nice finished car sell it to someone who wants a car like this and buy another or build another that doesn't have any history , other buddies tell me it's mine and to do it anyway i want and make new history . i have other future projects and cars so i don't need to decide any time soon !! it will stay as is for a bit while i mull it over !!!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  15. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

Personally id leave it just how it is an just patch the rust and paint everything but it is your car as they say opinions are like a holes everyone has one and they all stink wish you the best cant wait to see and hear it in person ohh by the way more videos are cool :).

16. Very cool. I'd be tempted to leave it as-is but after chopping mine only 3.5 inches, I'd have to give it a full 5 inch chop with laid-back windshield posts, Bonneville style!

17. Son of Bitch, that is kool, too bad you don't know more about the motor! Have fun in Jersey.

18. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

give er the axe hard, man!

19. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

After getting brakes on this thing last week and finally being able to get it out on the road and get her up in the RPMs a couple times after work before it gets dark we had a skip that we couldn't get rid of . we replaced the points in the mallory dual point and re gapped them at .017 and nothing changed . replaced the plugs (.025 gap. we also tried .030 ) noticed a little arcing around the coil so we replaced that . then the spark on one set of points was weak and there was a stock distributor laying around at the shop so we threw that on and replaced the wires at the same time,still nothing gets rid of the skip . i have no idea what cam is in this motor or if it was degreed properly on assembly so everything we are trying is based on stock 59A spec . it seems to run a little smoother the more we advance it but it's definitely not getting smooth enough to bring to jersey . we are going to work on it all weekend and go right back to basics and work our way out . i would hate to pull the front end of the motor apart this late in the game to check cam but i really know nothing about the internals on this motor i do know that it ran in the car it came out of when i bought it but it runs great sitting at idle and a little above now as well so maybe the mid to high RPM skip was always there . so many variables and so little time . windshield glass is going to be ready to pick up monday so as long as the motor skip issues are sorted out this weekend we are all set . i will update post later tonight and tomorrow and will let Mel know where i am at so he can decide what to do if i can't get the car there . WTF. you would think after 63 years of sitting this thing would want to get some wind in it's face .i wonder if leaving an alternator on it and not putting a generator on it has caused a little anger to the hot rod gods ??

i did also read somewhere that carbs being out of sync can cause quite a skip in mid and high RPM ranges , any one have any input on that ??
    it has two ford script holleys on an original eddie meyer high rise and the carbs are a bit questionable but i did have them on my 27 roadster until a couple weeks ago and aside from a light initial throttle hesitation and a little leaking they ran smooth ( i know those are not really acceptable issues,but for a few runs on the beach i wasn't gonna let them stop me )

feel free to text me at 315 254 7091 with any insight today i will not be near a computer until we are done working on the car for the day around 10:00

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  20. bambbrose

bambbrose
    from So. Utah

Amazing ride. Can't believe how fast you got her going

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

nothing we did yesterday really helped . going back over now to start on it again . i did talk to the guy who actually put it together last night and it was a stock 223 block and was bored to 239 specs cause he had a set of new pistons and rings for a 239 on the shelf . it has stock crank and he said it had a stock cam in it he said the cam is zero's right and that the mallory he had on it was set up fro the proper advance curve !! we are running out of shit to change here and this thing is still falling on it's face in mid and high range !!

22. 31ster

31ster

According to the tardel/bishop book. Dual 94,s are no good for anything but a monster flatty. They give enough fuel for 500 cubic inches which appears to not be what you have. So that might be your issue

23. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

after swapping ,wires 3 times , distributors 4 or 5 times , plugs a couple times , points , caps, rotors, and messing with the carbs a bunch . this thing came to life with a new cap rotor and condenser . we swapped all 3 at the same time so i don't know for sure which was the problem but it runs like a scolded dog right now . each was changed at some point by itself but must have been a few bad parts laying around here . video to follow .

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  24. HOLLYWQQD

HOLLYWQQD
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from central NY
    1. New York H.A.M.B.ers

it's mostly wind noise since there is still no windshield in it but this little coupe is finally happy in this video !!

<embed src="http://img7.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=P4l1qkkfqwmhvkdwewzlrun" allowfullscreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" height="500" width="640">

[Upload your own video]

25. I can't see the video but the picture above looks fucking fantastic man! Wow!

26. titus

titus

Awsome, glad you got it figured out!

jeff

27. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Got a kick out of the latest video. Between the great sound of that flattie and hauling ass down the back roads it don't get much better than this. :D
    I really like this car, the history and the possibilities. Photoshopping a couple of 'em was a no brainer.

Chopped
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]

Chopped and channeled
    [​IMG][/URL][/IMG][​IMG]
    Hope you like 'em hollywqqd. Eli

28. Mart

Mart

The car sounds great!, really strong.

We all go through the rounds of swapping ignition parts until it comes right.

Fantastic.

Mart.