Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Cars stolen at Good Guys Indy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pprather, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turdytoo

turdytoo

How big a show case would it take to hold $300,000 worth of trophies? You wouldn't need a trailer and for that much money I bet you could get a discount on the trophies. Insurance on that many trophies wouldn't be expensive of course insurance on a car you don't drive is cheaper too.

2. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

Believe me - I'm not implying anything here, I'm just relating something that happened to my friend and I coming home from Nats South ( I think) a few years ago. I had a chopped Deuce pickup and he had his '41 Chevy. We got a room for the night and headed over to the Crackerbarrel for dinner wearing Car show T Shirts of course. Two guys came in and sat at a table near ours and struck up a conversation about the cars, finally asking us if we had lots of insurance and mentioning that they had enclosed car haulers in the lot, never actually saying they'd take them and we could scam the insurance company. We declined of course and later thought about and realized these guys may have been crooks or they may have been cops. Either way, we stayed awake most of the night checking our rides.

3. 54sled

54sled

You said that right,that area is a shithole!

4. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Man!!!!......My bucket list has been to drive from Gulf Coast to Pomona next June for the 50th Anniversary Roadster Show.......staying at the Sheraton Fair Complex.......Mine is insured, but still don't want to get it stolen.....it's an open '32 Roadster....not much way of locking one up except putting a car cover over it........I guess "it'll be what it'll be"......really planning on having a car to drive back after I get out there.......

5. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

I need to chime in on this. Last year at the INDY GOODGUYS my name was pulled for one of the Choice Product Giveaway. It was early in the show weekend so I had alot of choices to pick from. When you win they don`t just hand you a prize you need to pick something. I finally decided on the Lojack a $795.00 dollar value for free! At home I called the 1-800 to get the ball rolling on getting my free Lojack, they say I`m sorry we do not have that available in missouri. Lojack tells me try selling it. Ok I will take it back to INDY this year and possibly sell it. Lojack I`m sorry we are not in Indiana either!! Too Cool.

6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Just a non drama thought, are cars usually taken from motels or hotels? There would be a difference in security. Usually. The motels in Houston and surrounding area are shit holes and that's putting it nicely.

7. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

I just read today that car theft is a $4.3 billion dollar loss for insurance companies each year. Crazy money.

8. I second that!:cool:

9. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I stayed at a Super 8 right off the freeway too. Big empty field next to the place, actually used it to get into my spot. There were houses behind it as well. The 1st place I looked at was buried behind a big truck depot and I passed on it thinking it's too remote.

10. Bam.inc

Bam.inc
    from KS

Seems like a huge business opportunity? If lojak already has product & technology, why wouldn't they cover virtually everywhere??

11. vintage tin

vintage tin

Actually there are a few chevelles that are worth that or more. The value might be exaggerated on the stolen car but regardless it sucks that somebody took the car. I hope both vehicles are found.

12. Dan1950

Dan1950

I bet those rides are long gone; they will never be seen again on North American soil. With the eastern block countries coming out of the dark ages of communism and places like Dubai in the UAE, where the money flows like water. These high end hot rods were taken to a waiting shipping container and loaded on a ship, heading too one of these countries; likely filling a standing order for them.
    I was in Dubai a few years ago and I couldn't believe the number of very nice North American hot rods that were there cruising the streets.

Dan.

13. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I would suggest that people do what we did at BP one year, we hired the local off duty Sheriff's officer to spend the night watching over our cars. Only cost $ 140 for the night and we slept really well. If a group of guys were going together they could split the cost.

It is really easy to set up, all you do is call the police dept in that town and inquire about hiring off duty officers and they set it all up for you. I would suspect most areas have policemen who are looking to pick up a few extra bucks and have similar programs.

Having a cop sitting there in his marked cruiser also has a benefit for other rodders staying at the same place, thieves think twice about stealing a car when the law is that closeby.

Don

14. butch27

butch27

Don't know if I can say this but it's from a joke. " Damn Canadians" LOL

15. Dan1950

Dan1950

I Know EH!!!

:D

Dan.

16. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

There was a thread here awhile back about a car/cars being heisted from the Sheraton. Best bet is over night security as Don described. Maybe hook up with a group to caravan with cross country or at least an LA area club attending and pitch in for night watch. Don't let it ruin your trip.

17. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

some years back, a neighbor of mine on the next corner, whose Mustang had a loud distinctive starter, was sleepin soundly as 2 scum car thieves:mad: rolled it out into the street down to *my* corner and were tryin to start it -- WITH - the distinctive starter sound that I could hear IN his driveway when *he* would start it --

woke me it did, as it sounded closer then normal -- sleepily, I was going out to help my neighbor [ I thought :rolleyes: ] and when I snapped on my porch light and stepped out the door, the scumbag that was under the raised hood ran for the gitaway car, dived thru the window and it roared off -- IF ONLY I'd been more prepared? :eek: [ cockroachs are alert fer lights:( ]

DID save his car tho :cool:

woke him up and said "where's yer car Ken?" :D

18. They have to be going somewhere far away. That red truck and blue Chevelle were very distinctive rides. The whole deal is probably well-organized and ready to pounce on any show in the country.

After a busy show day, everyone wants to eat, have a few drinks and take a snooze, which the crooks are well onto.

I'm truly surprised that collector car insurance companies aren't making a big stink. It really wouldn't be much of an effort for them to pony up a "bait car" or more and have some investigators watching over it at a hotel/motel parking lot.

Bob

19. 3Deuce40

3Deuce40
    from Colorado

Now THAT, is a great idea.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One has to wonder if the thief was after the car or after the trailer thinking it was empty at the time. As trailers seem to be a high theft target these days no matter what the size or value one could beieve that the trailer was the actual target of the thief and the car inside ended up either being a bonus or something that had to be ditched somewhere.

21. apound

apound

Glad to see this thread has not been pulled. HAMB friendly or not it sucks these guys got their car/truck stolen. Hits too close to home for me. Had my 68 Camaro stolen from the hotel parking lot at Goodguys Columbus in 2011. Haven't seen it since. Still remember the feeling when I came out and the car I had worked on for years was just gone. My thread was pulled real quick because the car wasn't HAMB friendly. Keep this one up so maybe it will lead to something positive for these guys.

22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Instead of hireing an off duty(which in itself a good Idea and cheap) Request just a patrol car be parked in the lot, Theives would see the car and would not know where the officer was and just pass on it not wanting to take a chance.

On "agreed value" insurance, The insurance company must also agree the the car is worth that much,and on somthing with that value ,the insurance company would need a reputable apraisal statment.

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, it's been suggested before, but most guys would rather use guns or fist to fight crime. Or at least talk about doing it. I guess it's having an adventure to go with the car show.

24. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Just watch for the ones having an early dinner...they're probably the crooks.

But seriously, regarding the convertible parked outside all night with the windows rolled down: I had a '56 Ford convertible that I'd lock up when I had to leave it parkedfor any amount of time. TWO different occasions some bastard(s) sliced the top, (canvas, not the cheaper 'nylon') to steal the Sun tach. (8500RPM, remember those?)
    After those two capers, I removed the tach when parking, and left the windows down.
    No more theft! (and the top stayed intact, too!)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  25. I would guess that the thieves spent several hours walking throughout the show choosing the cars they would steal. Probably on the phone with the people would would buy the vehicles.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

The cops have been telling people of OT cars to stop leaving valuables in plain view. next time you park at a mall or supermarket, glance at what some people leaving sitting in plain view. Brief cases, lap tops, cameras, you name it. It's an open invitation for property theft. Unfortunately, a lot of people make themselves a target and don't even realize it.

27. Back to the top for the overnight crowd.
    Anyone have any info on these thefts?

28. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Whoever stole them should be castrated...

29. TANNERGANG

TANNERGANG
    BANNED
    from alabama

Sounds to me from the things I've read that you posted, that your not a true Texan...you seem to be against guns, protecting your own belongings, fighting and anyone that doesn't own or like a T-Bucket........Just curious, but wasn't all the things you speak against the exact thing that built this great country, the state of Texas, which I for one thinks is over rated and fought to keep freedom to be able to speak our minds......though some of us have little to speak...........just curious....Be assured, my car is protected with a gun when I'm awake...I'm not always near my gun or always awake....but I'm kinda like the sign..."THIS PROPERTY IS PROTECTED 3 NIGHTS A WEEK WITH A SHOTGUN, YOU GUESS WHICH NIGHTS AND AT WHAT TIME THE GUN IS LOADED"..........Kinda my thoughts.......Don't take this the wrong way...I'm saying it in a humorous spirit......I appreciate your thoughts.

30. slammed

slammed

^^^ What does all that have to do with the thread? Either you have seen the vehicles stolen or you haven't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.