Register now to get rid of these ads!

455 in a 1956 oldsmobile info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cobalt333, Sep 23, 2013.

1. anyone out there with info..diagrams ect on how to put a 455 olds in a 1956 oldsmobile...im still about a year out but would like to get the info so i know where to place motor mounts ect....thanks shane [email protected]

2. ps is there a better engine that would be less hassle to put in it besides the original..being it was gone when i bought it...im just looking for cost and ease ideas...the only reason i brought up the 455 is thats what the old couple i bought it from had..trans was in the trunk and engine sitting in the engine bay on 2X4...they both have to be rebuit

3. Guess it depends on what you want out of it. If you want something to move the car around, be cheap, easy and good on fuel, I'd think sbc.
    I've got a 455 in my 64 f-85 olds and it is a monster. It gives me smiles whenever my right foot gets heavy, but my wallet gets light at the pump.

Assess what the end game is and go that direction.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. course the power is what would be nice....its out there in the garage under a tarp the (455)...im not too worried about gas mileage being my 2001 dodge dakota i drive right now only get 11 miles to the gallon..i have noticed the 455 rebuild kits are a hell of alot cheaper that the original 1956 olds engine ones...i just want to be realistic being im not made of money but yet if the difference is 1000 i would suck it up and go with the 455 rather that a non olds 350 chev engine or something...i just want to drive the damn thing too :)

5. 73RR

73RR

Nothing beats massive amounts of torque. Mileage should not be crazy-bad since the 455 will just be loafing along until you get that 'twitch'...
    A stock rebuild should not be expensive.

6. benjamin j

benjamin j

I have had lots of Oldsmobile&#8217;s they just fallow me home. My least favorite olds engine is the 455 unless it&#8217;s really built. I have had a couple of stock 455s and a couple that were just slightly built. It&#8217;s all about what you like though. I would look for an olds 350 out of a 70s car that is in running condition. I can find them for $600 or $700 if I take my time and look around. I will buy the whole car and scrap the rest of it. I just saw one in canton <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">ohio</st1:place></st1:State> for $600 on craigslist good engine and trans. After scraping I have an engine for around $300.

7. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Well, our 455 with a TH400 trans in our Cutlass sounds really really good, but gets really really bad gas mileage. I'm pretty sure on a good day, the car sees 8 MPG. Drive the old girl 20 miles around town and you have used 1/4 of the tank.

But the motor is a long ways away from stock. Maybe you could do what I did... when the first 455 spun a rod bearing, it was cheaper to buy a jet boat from a guy that had dumped alot of money building the motor and yarding out the motor and reselling the boat with no motor :)

When I went to rebuild the first 455, the costs I was getting told were quite high.

Cheers
    RustyNCA

8. Orn

Orn

9. nice ORN..your friends ride is cool..im going to print out all this info and pictures..being i wont be doing the work..im doing everything else on my car glass bodywork ect ect..but the one thing i will leave to a pro is the engine & trans..i dont think i have those skills..i could try but i would rather be sure its right..its going to be my daily driver...thanks everyone for the info..if there is anyone out there with more i would love to have it too ps i would love to see if anyone has info on other engines they have put in a 1956 olds too..thanks

10. Ok its nice but ! the rear steer is a royal pain in the ass. I tryed to use a 350 olds in my 60 Olds X frame and the upper A arm mount was in my head port. LOL if i rased the motor then no shut the hood. just a pain. I dont know how much the 455 is taller
    but i was looking at some heavy header mods out of my skill set. wound up with a 355 chevy please be nice guys its what i had.

11. im beginning to think i might try to find a original engine and trans and suck it up and have them rebuilt then i can drop it in myself..i might be way more in cost having someone fab all the mounts and installing the 455...

12. parklane

parklane

Anything from a 303 to a 394 should be a bolt-in. If not a 394, for sure a 371.

13. goodturn

goodturn

I'm a bit biased toward the bbOlds, as I've run a 425 and currently a 455 in my 49 Ford Panel since 1979. The torque is awesome. I also have a 74 GMC motorhome with a front wheel drive 455, and it'll smoke the front tires. There are some 455 Olds engine rebuilders listed on the GMC motorhome web site that quote around $5000. for a complete rebuild. Just say'n.

14. intresting..i didnt think any engine but a original factory one would bolt in to the same place...i would really like to find a list of the ones that do..so i can see if there is one that can be rebuilt at a decent price..455 at $5000 yikes...i think i will probibly sell my 455 and its trans that the guy gave me with the car..

15. 1934coupe

1934coupe

If you put anything else but that 455 Olds motor yoyu will be kicking yourself in the ass after your done. You only live once.

Pat

16. good thing i have a year to think things over...but $5000 eek after all this is just a 4 door car..i love it but its still a 4 door..i dont want to go to overboard..anyways i should be kicking my ass for passing up a 2 door i saw in lake havasu arizona for 2800 it was when i was first looking and didnt know that much and was scared to death when i saw a huge hole in the drivers floor and other rust holes and the seats torn to shreads..but at least every thing was there engine ect ect...now i know better..that thing would of increased in value with every fix...i still love my 4 door but know enough not to get to upside down in it..

17. F&J

F&J

John DeLorean's brother George, got a 56 2dr ht from AZ I think, he is building a clone to one he had growing up near Detroit. He is still looking for a 54-56 standard shift pedal setup if you know of one.

18. hell that make me laugh if its the one..cuz my top favorite movie as a kid was back to the future...i would watch that show and go out in my unheated dad garage in the winter and work on my 55 chev sport coupe which i bought in 1985 for around 2800...here is some picks of the 1956 olds... they looks better in pics..but there was rust galore in fact the roof was just hanging on by thin metal..it was rusted through on the back pillar between the back windows..gotta love california salt air...thats where it came from

Attached Files:

19. 73RR

73RR

I think that $5k is excessive for a late 455 rebuild, but, if that number scares you then you should be sitting down when you start pricing a rebuild on any of the 50's engines...just sayin'...
    Be sure to shop around at your local machine shops for rebuild estimates for the 455 before you toss it. You won't likely be disappointed in the power from a stock rebuild and stock replacement parts keep the costs down.

20. X2
    Stock with some mild goodies would keep many very happy.

21. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

Maybe they are including new aluminum heads... That could get you to the 5k number, 455 heads are expensive.....

Stock rebuild, well, that would be a good profit for someone.

The 455 rebuild was slightly higher than SBC from what I was told, but not by an extreme amount.

22. whatever i end up with i need to find a shop that knows what they are doing..and are not going to be outta business in a week i want some kind of warranty...im going to call down to a place in phoenix called phoenix engines .com from thier site and youtube they have a good shop and deals..even turn key

23. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

I would suggest the guy here local I was going to use, he has done an awful lot of them for the jet boats around here. But, I don't know about a warranty, he does lots of race motors, no warranty there......

24. im curious..does anyone out there know about how many actual work hours does it take to rebuild a engine? on a regular stock rebuild

25. goodturn

goodturn

search Mondello, or Alex Sirum GMC Motorhomes and check their engine rebuild sites. You can call them, but you should know what you've got, and what you'd like if you want accurate information. Does your engine have C, or J heads. Is it stock, or 30 over. What year and model of Olds is it out of??? A complete rebuild from top to bottom isn't going to be cheap, regardless of who does it, but maybe you don't need a complete rebuild.

26. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I don't know why I did't think of this earlier. There's a fella over on ChevyTalk.Org, and here on the HAMB also, that goes by the handle, 2loose. He has a thing for Olds engines I guess you might say, as he has put them in his 55 Chevrolet Gasser, and his 58/59 Chevrolet P/U truck. He documents his builds very well. You may be able to get some ideas by looking at his work. He's in Hawaii, on Maui I believe. These are 525 and 455 type Olds engines. Butch/56sedandelivery.

27. thanks i will check it out...im just absorbing all the info i can get so in a year or so when the rest of the car is done i will be able to be ready..thanks again

28. 73RR

73RR

Since you are gathering info be sure to connect with Tony <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    330-544-4466 w
    330-720-1282 c
    www.RossRacingEngines.com

29. RustyNCA

RustyNCA

You should also go and do some reading over on realoldspower.com. If you are looking for olds and 455 fanatics, a bunch of them live over there....

It's a great sounding motor no doubt..

[​IMG]