Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Cars stolen at Good Guys Indy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pprather, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spiders web

spiders web

A gold plated chevelle wouldn't be worth 300 K. Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. chopped

chopped

Anyone know who insured him for $300,000 ?

3. mustangsix

mustangsix

It wouldn't be hard to get $300k wrapped up into any kind of car if you had it built at a pro shop. 2000 hrs of labor plus parts is not unthinkable. That's only two guys working full time for six months.

I hope they find it.

4. He could easily have that much in the car. Try to selll it, he would be very lucky to get a 3rd of that. I would insure it for what I had into it, I'm sure the premium on that is quite premium.

Bob

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Its SAD!, how far things have gone bad, myself, like a lot of other "Old Timers" remember the days when nothing was locked up and keys were in the car so you knew where they were. I always ask at Motel or Hotel if there is parking lot security and like to park my ride where I can hear it and see it during the night, very light sleeper. I have the cars insured, but Don't want the $$$, just my cars and some peace of mind, maybe, another reason why big show car #s have dropped. John

6. High5

High5

This would be true. Think of the owners who compete every year for the Riddler award. I doubt many are valued less than what this Chevelle is. When you have deep pockets, spending this much isn't hard to do.

Trailer security needs to improve. Just reading that article makes it sound as if it was pretty easy to break into that trailer. As for the car, I'd be installing some sort of solenoid to cut the fuel to the engine or take some ignition parts off before you lock up at night. Or maybe install an E-Brake which will keep the brakes locked up full time.

It doesn't help these owners now and let's hope their pride and joys surface in the same condition they were taken as.

7. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

You would think that they would steal cars that are rather "plane jane" and not unique. A nondiscript 32 ford or 55 Chevy can be sold or rebuilt and no one would know. That truck sticks out like a sore thumb!

8. ECallen

ECallen
    from Rolla MO

My cure drive something nobody wants to steal
    Ernie

9. Sundown Kid

Sundown Kid

Sad someone's pride and joy got taken by some low life.
    I heard alot of times they ship stolen custom cars out of the country, because they are easy to identify here

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most likely not but with all the trinkets on that one It's entirely possible that the guy has that much tied up in it. All of that chrome and polished stuff doesn't come cheap when you are paying someone else to do it. It could mean that a whole crew of hot rod shop workers kids had a good Christmas last year though.

Usually I am under the thinking that most cars with really strong running engines that are stolen at or around car shows are stolen for the engines but that engine isn't going to do too many people any good sticking it in a race car to go out on the local dirt track or dragstrip for bracket racing with.

11. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

Ironic but true

I have a friend who leaves his 20' enclosed unlocked all the time (which is out in front of his shop). There isn't anything in it but when he had the locks on it he would come back to the locks being cutoff all the time. He said he went through 5-6 sets of locks before he said screw it. :D

12. budd

budd

what would happen to the chevelle, be parted out, how much would you get for the parts, no title, $5000 or $10,000 maybe.

13. Amazed that somebody drove that red-as-heck Chevy truck away in broad daylight. Wonder how far they got before they holed up or put it in another trailer?

Somebody had to see something, then again with the place being wall to wall cars, maybe nobody did.

Bob

14. mustangsix

mustangsix

$100 would be enough to justify theft to the fucking meth head tweeker that stole the car.....:mad:

15. 1954fordkustom

1954fordkustom

If we do find these thieves screw calling the cops I got couple of shovels

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, the Chevelle isn't HAMB friendly, but I talked with the guy on that Sunday, he had literally finished the car just days before the show. Needless to say, he and his wife were extremely bummed.

17. I doubt this is the work of meth heads. They would stick out at shows, these crooks blend right in, look like anyone else in the crowd. Well equipped, well rehearsed, smooth as silk.

Rob

18. it will be interesting to see how many are stolen at the fair grounds next year. lets see here white middle to upper age couple drivinga fancy high dollar car through the hood on the way to the show. can you say car jacking.

19. millersgarage

millersgarage

The Chevelle is local to me, it's theft has been reported on the local news, even has the cover of the Lansing State Journal today. They are serous about wanting it back.

The theft of cars at large car shows is not exclusive to GoodGuys events. It happens at every show. There was a 4x4 truck and off road show in Indy the same weekend, and at least 2 truck were stolen from Hotels as well. I remember reading about a Hurst Olds show where like a dozen cars were stolen in one night from hotels.

I was amazed the last time I went to the GG show in Columbus. There was a nice muscle car convertible in my hotel's lot with the windows down all night. Some people just don't have much common sense when it comes to just the basics of keeping their cars safe.

20. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

This really sucks that these two rides got jacked. Its sad to think of how much time and effort went into that chevelle finished just days before the show and it got stolen...and most likely it has been conpletely stripped and the body destroyed. I know how the car thieves work, as I used to work with a few reformed thieves. They said they could get a car stripped and destroyed within a few hours of stealing it. Really blew my mind. After they told me that, every night when I got home I would unplug the ballast resistor on my chrysler, that way it woukd just start and die over and over attracting a lot of attention...and unless you know what you are looking for you will never see the unplugged ballast resistor.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. oldcarguygazok

oldcarguygazok
    from AUSTRALIA.

With all the hi-tech surveillance camera's available,it can't be too hard to arrange a setup for these shows,they seem to hire everything else!

22. KIRK!

KIRK!

The cars were stolen from hotel parking lots, not the show.

23. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Do all these cars that get stolen at shows are at hotels that are very close to the show,I always like to stay about 10 miles from the event.

24. stimpy

stimpy

these theives know what they want and follow them to get them and then strip them for the parts , this is why you should label parts ( with a engraver) and keep track of the serial numbers on them in a book , on your cars like fuel pumps and anything else that can be disposed of easily as it will have a trail . and its not just people like us , race cars have been stolen and found gutted and cut up and they parts alone is free cash for the theives . they do not car what the car is worth a it was free money for them just for the taking litterally . alarm or better yet get a tracing device for your trailers and get tracking devices for the rides , the investment is worth it . as for locks on hitches they are a joke , if they can steal a semi trailer with a pin lock that can only be cut off with a cutting torch ( they modify the fifth wheel by cutting out the center and chain the trailer to the tractor ) . a ball hitch is no problem either .

as for listing the O/t car , its a car and it was stolen at a major event , several other forums I am on list any stolen car from even weather its O/t or not because they are car guys like us and would want there stuff to be found, car guys are car guys ( well other than the vette guys )

25. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

First off I hope the vehicles are recovered, HAMB friendly or not. This effects all of us one way or another.

That said, the guy that owns the Chevelle lives in Holt, MI and that is about 15 miles from where I do, so even though this didn't happen in my back yard it still seems a little more personal.
    The guy never stated that it was insured for $300,000. Only that he had invested in TIME and materials around $300,000 in the car. That included his labor folks. If any of us put a price tag on our labor invested into our rides of any quality, it would be a sizable investment.
    It easy to bang on these guys from afar, but I'd hate to be in their shoes.

26. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Barrett and Jackson are rolling on the floor laughing.

27. my error, corner windows and smaller back windows. good luck finding them.

If a car is worth to you what you spend on it, the chevelle can easily be worth what the man said.

28. Roadsir

Roadsir

Highlander I wonder if you stayed at the same hotel in Wichita I did a few years ago to deliver a car...Same story, I roll in late (11ish) get off the interstate and first place I see is a Super 8. I get a cheap room, my room is opposite side of the hotel of the truck, open trailer with my finished 47 convert on the back, with only crappy low lit spots left in the lot. On our floor there were drunken brawls throughout the night ending with knives pulled and cops finally coming I was up every 45 minutes checking the car. Quite a night.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.