Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hot rod fuel line

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by bob giles, Sep 25, 2013.

1. bob giles

bob giles

I have a lot of pre bent copper coated 5/16 steel line. I need to straighten it so I can re bend it for my project. Somewhere I saw a set of rollers that was made for this purpose. Can anybody show me a picture of this?

2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I just use a wooden block with a 5/16" hole drilled in it. Then spray some lube on the tubing, push it through the hole, grab the end with vise grip pliers and pull it. Straightens out very nicely.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  3. 5559

from tn

^^^^^^^2x4 with hole works good , clamp it in a sturdy vise & pull

4. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

here you go, I hope you got $200 :eek:

Attached Files:

5. That's not going to "un bend" steel lines, there is No way to do this that I know of.
    That's for making the line off of a coil arrow straight.

6. stimpy

stimpy

if you roll it on the floor you can sometimes unbend it , but if it came prekinked like off a car forgetaboutit . the other way is to take 2 2x4's 3" long and cut a 1/8 deep x 5/16th slot in them wax the slots up with bees wax and place the line in them , lock the blocks in a vice and spin it as you pull it thru with vice grips or chucked in a slow turning drill ( and I mean slow ) . a drop of oil every so often will keep it lubed up .

7. bob giles

bob giles

Thanks for the suggestions.

8. BCR

BCR

I always clamp it in a sturdy vise and hook a big slide hammer on the other end. I have a slide hammer with a vise grip on it so I just sacrifice 1/2" on each end.

As they said above if it already has tight bends in it you won't be able to straighten it very well.

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Fuel line, even copper or steel is cheap enough that you could just buy new, rather than use line that has been bent, unbent, bent again. To me, it would just be cheap insurance against a leak/fire somewhere down the line. God forbid but, how pissed at yourself will you be for not having spent the $20 on new line.

10. butch27

butch27

I think there is a thread on here about making a homemade line straightner??

11. MBog

MBog

I can't see the brand name on that. Is it one size fits all or are there different rollers for different sizes?

12. duke460

duke460
    from Wisconsin

Homemade tools web site has designs for a home built straightener. Made from Plywood and screen door wheels. Looks a lot like the pro version I'm wingmans post.

13. I see you'r in Pa. you know the Carlisle is next week, you can pick up new line there.

14. bob giles

bob giles

Let me put the new line to rest. I was able to buy enough of the line to last me the rest of my life. It's copper coated steel and polishes up nice. Came from a truck manufacturing plant that was in business in the '60's.

15. wingman9

wingman9
    from left coast

It's labeled Brakequip and is adjustable from 3/16 to 1/2. Amazon has it.

16. Is it truly "Pre Bent" or is it coiled? Can you show a picture?
    If it was Pre Bent, you really risk cracking it when un bending it, if the bends are very tight radiis.

17. Bingo! HRP