Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features My wife's anniversary present

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsledmerc49, Apr 8, 2013.

1. sir

sir

.."us"...that's the cool factor....

2. Nice truck. I can tell you it has a 1949 Plymouth (ripple) front bumper.
    And would suggest replacing the small air cleaner with something a bit
    larger to allow more incoming air. Good luck on gettin' it going.

3. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Thanks, I was wondering about the bumper.

4. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Thanks for the tip. He'll bring pics in soon. He was just gonna throw them away so I can probably get them for next to nothing.

5. flat34pu

flat34pu

pretty much 6 lug off anything (not just chevy) will work.
    rich

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  6. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Well we picked up the truck yesterday and already started cleaning it out. By the end of the day we even had the engine cranking over. With some new battery cables and a better battery I bet it'll fire. Here's my wife, the proud new owner. Boy do we have our work cut out for us.......:confused:

[​IMG]

7. BaBa

BaBa

HaHa it will either bring you closer together or the wrenches will be flying.:eek:

8. Coach529

Coach529

Congrats on the new truck!!

9. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

That is one fine ride

10. pumpman

pumpman

Really nice, and the best anniversary gift in my opinion. That is in really nice shape, I looked at one last week and it was your typical Michigan vehicle, rougher than a corn cob. Have fun and enjoy!

11. shadams

shadams

When we bought the first project (49 Chev pu) I was able to get off early from work and borrowed one of the guys I work with trailer. We hauled ass to houston from the SA area and got there after dark. We loaded up our prize and smiled the whole way home, one of the best trips we have had together...

12. triumph 1

triumph 1

Cool gift and a nice project! I always liked that series Chevy truck, my dad had a '52 when I was a kid. Congrats and good luck with the build. I hope I can find a project to get my wife out in the shop:rolleyes:

13. shadams

shadams

Anything new?

14. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Looks like fun! I like these pickups, Good Luck! Someday you can meet up with the A and cruise together!! :)

15. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

A little to report but not much. Honestly I haven't done a good job of getting to any of my projects this summer. Did score a set of chrome steelies and tires for the truck. The tires still had the stickers on them if that tells you anything. Found out the radiator was trashed so I was able to get a used one from a buddy for cheap, along with a gas tank just in case. From the same guy we got a seat frame and seat with good upholstery. Let's see, new battery tray, and cables. Got a radiator support, hood latch pin w/ hardware and a hood latch pan from mother trucker. Found a good set of used bumpers locally. All this stuff and haven't done much with it. Look like a busy winter for me:eek:

16. shadams

shadams

Yep, sounds like you got some stuff lined up....cool, put up some pics when there something to show..

17. wicarnut

wicarnut

Great gift idea, good luck with your project and keep us posted on the progress, you are a lucky man. Love the Merc. John

18. Keep gathering parts and possibly you can make some progress this winter. HRP

19. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

That's the plan. Once I wrote my last post of all the stuff I had gotten it almost sent me into shock that I had touched almost none of it:eek:. Trying to figure out how to re-devote some time this winter for cool "me" stuff...

20. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Thanks. I love my Merc too. Just wish I was a little further along. Story of my life...

21. Johnny49

Johnny49

Greetings from a fellow '49er! I know what you mean about not getting to stuff - I thought I'd have mine on the road two years ago. Not so much a lack of time but a lack of finances holding us back here. But like you, I know we'll get there one of these days... Good luck with your project!

22. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Thank you. I know I am not the only guy out there with this issue. It's just frustrating sometimes when you get on here and see people moving right along with their projects. I am happy for them and that they are at that point in their life where they can balance everything out. But it also inspires me to know that I will get there someday. Good luck with yours as well!!!

23. wade57

wade57
    from BC Canada

That's a cool ol ford PU. Will she help you fix it up?

24. leadsledmerc49

leadsledmerc49

Been a while so I thought I'd throw in an update. Got the new battery tray in and a new battery with new cables and engine to frame ground. Bought all new ignition parts and have spark to the plugs. Still can't get the motor to start. The gas tank had sludge in it so it has been removed so I am supplying fuel manually just to get it to start. Double checked rotor placement when at top dead center. #1 plug wire was way off from where the old plugs were wired. I moved the wires around accordingly and she started spitting out the carb, still no fire. Started checking a little closer and I don't feel like my rotor is right on the #1 point on the cap when at top dead center. Tried advancing/ retarding the dizzy to accommodate and still nothing. Looking for suggestions now. I want to try re-stabbing the dizzy, maybe it's a tooth off?

On a good note, the floors look really good under the tank so I should be able to get by with cab corners, toe boards, and a drivers side outer cowl panel to fix the cab.