Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Cars stolen at Good Guys Indy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pprather, Sep 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have received e-mails from friends that a couple cars were stolen by attendees of the Good Guys Indy event last week. Just posting this in the hopes that someone out in HAMB land has seen either of them this week. It seems that one has even posted a $10k reward!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let's see if the HAMB can help these rodders locate their rides.
    Phil

Anyone with information about the stolen vehicles
    can call the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department
    at (317) 327-3811 and ask for the vehicle theft office.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, bad guys go to good guys shows too.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It does seem that there might be a theft ring that targets Goodguys events on a steal to order program.

You couldn't show up at an event anywhere in the US or Canada with either of those two rigs without someone spotting them as both are pretty distinctive.

4. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

the 70 Chevelle was stolen at a westside hotel while parked inside a locked boxed trailer. the owner states that the Chevelle is worth $300,000.

5. Model T1

Model T1

I've seen Dennis and his red truck around the Peoria, Illinois area. A great guy. We'll be watching NW Florida.

6. BigAl1961

BigAl1961

Ain't NO Chevelle worth 300K!!!

7. pitman

pitman

I would offer that Dennis's truck was grabbed for the hardware, the equipment, the body is too unique.

8. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Ditto on that, maybe the owner himself had it stolen for the insurance money.

9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

10. Sorry to hear that the car & truck was stolen,,I hope they both were well insured.

300,000 grand is insane!:rolleyes: HRP

11. 4psi

4psi

I will keep an eye out in Oklahoma. Who care's what it's worth guys? No need to kick somebody when they're down.

-Charlie

12. No one was kicked,I could have said the photo of a Chevelle doesn't belong on the Hamb,,which it doesn't!

Both of them are street rods and are not appropriate for the Hamb but we do have members in almost every town in the country that are always looking around,,it may be a hamber that finds them. HRP

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

And if it was, I'd pay someone to watch it. Hope they both get found.

14. Hello, this is Onstar-how can I help you?

15. 4psi

4psi

I am not pointing fingers. :D

Plenty of traditional cars at the Good Guys event. This thread does effect this community even tho they are not on topic cars. Sorry if my post came off abrasive.

-Charlie

16. brad chevy

brad chevy

This whole story sounds kinda fishy. 1st the truck won"t be easy to get rid of being cab extended,and if the owner claims his Chevelle is worth $300,000 it wouldn"t be sitting unguarded in a hotel parking lot even in a trailer. The truck would be easy to spot but there are alot of those Chevelles around. Hate to hear about stuff being stolen .

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Surprisingly, there have been quite a few high dollar cars stolen. Even race cars AND their trailers. But it doesn't make sense to not hire someone to watch a high dollar setup. It should be automatic.

But the focus of this thread needs to be getting the word out. The owners of the cars are beating themselves up enough without us doing it.

18. 54sled

54sled

My dad had his truck there two years ago and in the hotel lot under the light they tried prying into the back door of his trailer to get his truck out,they didnt get in it but bent the door all up.the second night he put it in the guarded lot and was fine.there seems to be alot of garbage people in indy that need shot,hope its not a fellow rodder on here with us!,they need to pull out of indy and move the show!

19. wearymicrobe

wearymicrobe
    from San Diego

Definitely somebody targeting shows plus a bit of fraud. Three corvettes disappeared at the last big corvette meet, locally more then a few trailers have gone missing.

You have to think that GPS technology is getting cheap enough that you could hide a little transponder in the car.

20. we've been pushing on-star for over two years now....for anything you want to keep....geeez...

21. Boy, I'll say!!!
    300,000 grand is three hundred million dollars:D

22. no.scar.no.story

no.scar.no.story

If my car was worth $300k I'd sleep in the trailor w/the car. And a .45.

23. Leviman

Leviman

It is cheap enough that you can hide a little transponder in the car!

http://www.lojack.com/

24. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

theres so many ways to protect a car nowadays,when out of town it should be a priority for the owners to protect their stuff.as for the chevelle,i think he got ripped twice.

25. jazz1

jazz1

if my car was insured for 300k i'd leave the keys in it, full tank of gas,a cooler full of beer and sandwiches and some cash and a note saying i'd gone fishin' ,,,back in a week

26. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

X2 or maybe X3

27. So who just backs up to a trailer, hooks and runs. Whoever took the Chevelle, knew what it was, where it was and who wasn't guarding it, screams of insurance fraud, or the perps are watching the parking lots to see what gets put in which trailers.
    I tend to stay at out of the way "mom and pop" motels so I'm not familiar with the action in the big name hotel parking lots late at night. Do people leave there trailers loaded but not hooked to their truck? That sounds like asking for trouble.

28. Recently , at a well known car show, a friend and myself were sitting in my truck eating lunch. High noon, broad daylight. We watched several trucks hooking up to trailers. My thoughts were ..With a lot of people toting guns, would you approach those people and ask for identification, intentions,proof of ownership,etc....I don't think so...It would be worse at a night at a motel parking lot...As much as I hate thieves ,I'm not going to get shot over a car..
    Sounds like the best solution is some sort of tracking/security alarm system...and just hope the cops will respond...
    Just my $0.02 worth

29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is it just me, or does it seem like the mid section of the country has gone from "Tornado Alley" to "Truck/Trailer/Hot Rod Theft Alley"? I delivered a Packard to Wichita, KS a couple years ago. Rolled in at 12am and kept getting up to see if my rig was OK. I parked it sideways under the lights and had it a bit tough to get out without knowing how I did it. When I show at Amelia Island I get just as nerved up spending the night on the way down. I know that once detached a 5th wheel isn't a prime target for theft, but even then there's a monster lock that no bolt cutters known can cut. Thieves are in abundance with times the way they are. We need to be on guard of our surroundings at all times. I know it sucks to be that way but it's what we have to do and has been for the last 6 or more years.

$300K Chevelle? Add up the cost of it's parts and what a pro shop labor rate would be. Close to $200K in labor, paint, interior, motor, trans, bling, wheels/tires, cost of the car up front, easily someone of means could spend that much having one built from scratch. I can imagine what some of the restorations cost that get displayed at Detroit Autorama every year, and all this new stuff on top of that? I don't see many 10min jobs on that car even in the one picture shown. Just sayin...

30. BenD

BenD
    Alliance Member

I'll say this again. Open trailer is more secure because people notice the car. The big white box is nothing but camo for theives. People ask me about hauling their cars and they act like it's an insult when I say open trailer, but would you rather spend $10 on a car wash or pay extra for enclosed and lose the truck/trailer/car?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.