Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects What Would You Change?Give Me Some of Your Thoughts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FunnyCar65, Sep 22, 2013.

1. bgaro

bgaro

i'm with the shorten up the front end crowd. yikes.

2. Tall skinny whitewalls would help a lot. Jack the back up Kookie Car style, add a white top, a stubby bed and outline all the panels with white pin-striping.

Edit... You could also fog some white pearl using the green as a base for a panel paint job???

3. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

just throwing this out,what do you think of a custom fabbed short bed like this to go along my early 60's show car thoughts?

Attached Files:

4. color, headers, windshield chop n lower lights
    with your suggested wheel combo

5. i like it :cool:

6. Yes, custom fabbed or just an abbreviated original T or A bed.

7. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I have a pair of block hugger headers bought,the way the steering gear is mounted I can't go with lakes style they don't fit the era I'm going for anyway.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      237.4 KB
      Views:
  8. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

I have a different oil pan,timing cover,water pump housing,motor mount and raised letter Red Ram valve covers bought,all are getting sent to the chrome shop.I want ether a 3-2 Offy or a U-fab for 4 or 6-2 carbs.ether way multi carb setup is a must.

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

There you go! Do it!

10. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

First...color change and lower headlights. It'll be a new car. Then go from there.

11. Where's the front spring?

12. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

it's there,want to get that chrome also

Attached Files:

• 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      235.4 KB
      Views:
  13. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

man, panel paint to lighten up the color, and shorten the wheelbase so the spring mount is under the grill would seriously help the look

14. SixFour

SixFour
    from So cal

Ditch the grille for a model a or deuce one, relocate the headlights, get rid of the radials, and move the frontend back about 2 feet.

My .02...

15. olds vroom

olds vroom

Paint it please!!!!

16. fordman1

fordman1

What they said.....
    Seriously I was/am in the same boat as you. Start with the most offending details, and probably easiest, and start working your way. Paint is a major step so get the wheels/tires, headlights, windshield, bed squared away and then start tackling full rebuild stuff like the suspension and respray. Best of luck. You are right you have a great start but it needs a little more effort to have the "look".

17. TV

TV

I follow with Don on this one everything he said.--TV

18. I Drag

I Drag

Once you paint it a 'normal' color (black?) it might not need much else.

Well, the headlights are kinda big.

19. That's only funny because its a very accurate description.

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody mentioned the Chrysler radiator shell? I like that it was used, but it needs to be a bit taller and chrome, then fab up some shutters instead of a mesh grille. They could be left open or you could get crazy and make em cable operated for temp control. 28-9 Model A lights, but mounted lower as has been said. You're on your way with the motor so no need to discuss that any further. I'm wondering if that green might make a nice base for a radical pearl or flake body color. You could panel the frame sides as well since it's already so green. Tape off green panels and paint the rest a pleasant contrasting color like dark charcoal or just black. You have the tires figured out already. I also like the box idea, but for some reason I've been in the mood for a roadster PU of some kind lately.

21. Drive Em

Drive Em

Drive it!! Quit trying to make it look like all the other cars on the Hamb. it is already way more traditional than 90% of the cars just by the engine alone.

22. What would I cange? Good goobldy goop what wouldn't I change.

The car has too many themes going on, first I would move the front axle back closer to the grill shell.

If it were mine the first thing I would do is define and era and shoot at it. The headlight stands say '60s build as does the hemi. The stands are no doubt cast aluminum, I would knock the paint off of them and either leave them as cast or polish them. Look for some king bees or king bee style headlights and loose the bug eye lights.

Move the axle back closer to the grill shell to get the proportions correct.

Loose the gaudy paint, look for something a little more subtle.

The fuel tank is not correct but it is doable for the time being. Maybe look for an oval tank.

You could actually get way with radials if you could find some period correct dunlaps or pirellis. But Cheaters and 5.00x15 or 4.00x15s on the front would make it more correct. no white walls on the front unless you run whitewall cheaters then the fronts need to have whitewalls on both sides (they used to run 5.00x16s (Harley tires) on the front in Nor cal). Those moon discs need to go as well. They just cheapen it up in my opinion. Even bare steelies would look better.

Multiple carbs on the Hemi would be cool, I would not shy away from a 2x4 for me personally but it is up to you on that. That motor is cool by the way.

I know that you haven't thought much about it but it would be cool with a turtle deck in the back and hide your fuel tank in the deck.

I could probably go on for hours but you catch my drift right? And you did ask.

23. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Paint it for sure---not black or red. They have been overdone. There are other colors. Lose the WW and the moon discs. Do something.....anything with the frontend. You can't improve on the hemi; that is cool. Good luck.

24. jkski

jkski

x2 black no green attack,shorten wheel base.this would give u a good base for reference to change the look as u go

25. FunnyCar65

FunnyCar65
    from Colorado

moving the front end really isn't an option,I understand what you guys are saying though.My color thought are a light blue metallic on the sheetmetal and frame,white on the engine trans and rear end with pinstriping to break things up a bit.

26. papajohn

papajohn

Change the color and the wheels. (sorry. you did ask)

27. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

A shortened pickup bed for sure to hide the tank. A set of Halibrand style slots, deep dish rears with dirt track style tires, maybe a set of 10 spokes up front with ribbed style tires. For sure a repaint in a darker color, dark blue or maybe a dark maroon. Chromed headers, polish up the valve covers or chrome them. Bars, tubes, or slats in the grill instead of the mesh.

28. A few coats of black candy over that green would look really cool!!!

29. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I like that idea. I agree with the front end, it looks like a space alien. Too long, goofy height stands ect. ect.
    Honduras Maroon with skinny silver scallops??

The other option would be to try to make it look fifties, maybe a bobbed pu box, black wheels with beanies and Goldenrod yellow? Would look good on that.

30. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Yea, I like that, caddy Bahama Blue, popular color late fifties/early sixties. Keep the moons, section a deuce grill shell, some skinny scallops, shades of Rasmussens Model A! Yea, I can dig it!

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Or keep the grill shell, stick with the Bahama Blue, snag some bobbed Model A fenders, add a hood top, and...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]