Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage XXXX HOT ROD of THE YEAR - The REAL Scoop and PHOTOS!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Sep 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KIRK!

KIRK!

NEW: I'm extremely sad to say that this was my last involvement with the Hot Rod of the Year and the company that puts it on, where my position as Editor was "eliminated". The award was by baby and I'm extremely proud of how it matured. I'm even more proud of everyone who participated and honored by the friends I made. Thanks for everything.

OK, last Friday was the "on the road" portion of the XXXX Hot Rod of the Year competition in Indy and DAMN it was awesome!!!!

The weather forecast wasn't looking good with thunderstorms and over an inch of rain slated for the day, but did that stop the 40 hot rodders from doing their thing? Hell no!

We left IMS at 10:00am for the 150-mile reliability run, still dry. Road work and a detour caused some confusion getting to A Summer Place, but everyone made it to the lunch stop at the miniature '50s town. Killer cheeseburgers, fries and banana splits all around with proceeds going to A Home For Every Child charity - over $1000.

We took off to run the 1/8-mile drags at the Muncie Dragway just as the rain started to creep in. It came down off and on all the way to Muncie, which had remained dry. After a quick instructional session and wait for the ambulance, rodders started to pair off for their run down the strip. Pretty much everyone gave their best try at a burnout and a hard pass. Even the guys working the track had huge smiles. The rain hit us as the last few pairs made their passes.

After all of the runs were complete everyone headed back to IMS for the final checkpoint. This is when is started to POUR. I mean it freaking came down in buckets. It was surreal to see all of these guys in fenderless coupes and especially roadsters muscling their way through the wet stuff - and by surreal I mean FUCKING COOL! Everyone made it back to IMS in time for a cruise around the famous Brickyard.

Saturday found all of the HROTY participants in a special parking area right in the middle of Gasoline Alley. This is when the crappy part started for those of us who had to cull the 40 down to five finalists and then to one winner. We usually come to a decision on Saturday, but the five were so close that we all decided to sleep on it and weren't able to decide the top car until almost 1pm Sunday afternoon.

In the end it was George Poteet's '34 (built by Dave Lane) that came out on top, but it was so close that I hope all of the finalists felt like winners.

Here are some random shots from throughout the two days...

Gathering for the drivers meeting. I love that a lot of the guys have participated every year and several say it's the best day of hot rodding out of the whole year. Now that's a compliment.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The group gathered at A Summer Place.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  2. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hot Rods By Dean's pickup is amazing!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lunch is served!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We made it to Muncie Dragway. Smiles all around!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  3. KIRK!

KIRK!

I am sooooo in love with this coupe! Yet another killer creation from Jokerr.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A quick drivers meeting before the runs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right at home on the strip. This Willys was seriously perfect!
    [​IMG]

Crafty B gets rained on.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The final five. You can see why the decision was so difficult. We still hadn't decided the winner when this was shot.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. KIRK!

KIRK!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A '32 Plymouth?!?! Yep! The run between it and Poteet's car was a serious race!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Model A perfection.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 40 contenders heading out of IMS.
    [​IMG]

The representative from Tanks (the award sponsor) announces the winner. Ignore the dumbass on the right.
    [​IMG]

Dave Lane at the wheel of Poteet's killer '34 for the win.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

6. That is a sweet bunch of cars. Don't envy the decision makers.
    Later,
    Dick

7. Nice stuff! I love that green color on that neat 36 Coupe.

8. KIRK!

KIRK!

Oh man, that '36 is one of my favorite cars. I have loved it since he debuted it in Indy 5 or 6 years ago. So tasteful, yet tough.

9. Race City Rodz

Race City Rodz

Awesome cars for sure! Really dig the Red '35 ford truck, just bitchin!

10. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Good coverage! Thanks.

11. KIRK! - Fantastic pics & coverage of the HRoTY event! ... Thanks for sharing!

12. KIRK!

KIRK!

Glad you guys dig it. It always feels good to post until the crying starts.

13. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

Thanks Kirk - I enjoy your posts

14. KIRK!

KIRK!

Thanks man! How is your Coker pre-order going. I wish I needed a set to help contribute. See you at SEMA?

Love, Golden Boy

15. Thanks for posting. I really dig Crafty B's car. Nice change of pace.

16. KIRK!

KIRK!

Yeah, and on a $7,000 budget! Such good work.

17. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

thanks 4 the picks! i enjoyed all of them.....................

18. BCR

BCR

Great day!!! What a blast. Thanks for putting this deal on. The lunch was great, the track was bitchin and the 427 side oiler got the job done. Even the rain roost on the tires was fun to watch.

On the way home Cory and I agreed that it was the best time we ever had at an event.

Mike

19. CTaulbert

CTaulbert
    from Detroit

eh - it's going....not quite at the pace I had hoped, but going. I'm still trying to find the best market to spread the word.

Probably no on SEMA this year, so it looks like it'll either be Des Moines or Columbus until we meet again....

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

Bummer. Well let me know if I can help. Actually, I wonder if it would make sense in our new product section. See if you can work up something to send me.

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Haha, I hear ya buddy. Outstanding photos Kirk. Nearly impossible to pick a winner out of that line-up! Thanks a ton for the coverage, just WOW!

22. Love the pictures and story. Glad to see you posting up again, you have been missed.

Glenn

23. HunterSpeed

HunterSpeed
    from Austin, TX

Amazing selection of cars and the pics are great. Many thanks for posting Kirk - bravo!

24. belair

belair

As always, you deliver the goods. Thanks. Poteet's car really looks right. No crying here.

25. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

[​IMG]

This... All day long...

26. what were the fastest five passes on the track.

27. KIRK!

KIRK!

The bummer was that he didn't make the fourth checkpoint on the reliability run so he was out of the running. He lost a coil. He loaned his spare coil to Crafty B because Crafty's went south earlier in the day. Then as shit luck would have it... He wasn't bummed though because he'd helped a fellow rodder. Cool dude for sure.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  28. KIRK!

KIRK!

I don't remember all of them, but the Plymouth and Poteet's were two of them.

29. BCR

BCR

They weren't set up to print our times so you had to look at the board. Mine was an 8.09 but I don't remember anyone elses.

Poteet's 34 and the Plyouth was a good race, they both beat on the cars too.

30. Thanks for taking the time to post all the great photos and taking us along vicariously for the ride.

Are you going to be at the Good Guys show in Charlotte,N.C. next month? HRP

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.