Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 63' Falcon Gasser Build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ParkinsonSpeed, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Well the story is.....
    I picked this car up for a price i couldn't resist, not really sure if it was workable but once i got it home i knew it was a keeper. The rear subframe rails are rotted and need some 2x3" set in there, with that i decided why not just go ahead and not worry about putting this thing back to stock... Whats better than just a Falcon with a small block in it? A Gasser! Yea i know the Falcons are a common donor for this but more than that i wanted a driver. No it wont be jacked up so high it wont fit in my garage, just getting the solid front so i can run a 5 lug setup and not worry about dumping money into the original front end. As far as the paint and body goes, i'm still open on that but i definitely want a name and a paint scheme for it by the time i get the suspension under it. The motor was going to be a y-block but common sense and as much as i want to drive it drove me to doing just a mild 302 setup, auto or stick? not sure yet on that but it already has the third pedal in it for convenience. As the rear end goes i'm up for discussion on that too, 9", 8", or 8.8"? I am not tubing it but i will be doing a radius on the rear with new quarters later on maybe with mustang opening, not sure on that yet either. I'm not following any guidelines or rule books and yes i have been keeping up with the do's and dont's on Gasser set ups. Wheels... Well i cant afford the new knockoff gasser ones so i will have to go steelies or vintage slots. This is my winter project and it will be slow but i'm hoping this thread keeps me motivated and hope yall do to.

I have added some pictures i took of the car right after i got it home, and of the motor i just picked up. A little video of it running after who knows how long.... And dont mind the exhaust, it came like that......

Here is the video >>> First Run In Years

Attached Files:

• 053.JPG
      053.JPG
      File size:
      101.6 KB
      Views:
    • 054.JPG
      054.JPG
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
    • 055.JPG
      055.JPG
      File size:
      78.4 KB
      Views:
    • 056.JPG
      056.JPG
      File size:
      93.2 KB
      Views:
    • 011.JPG
      011.JPG
      File size:
      102.4 KB
      Views:
  2. I'll go along for the ride....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. Ford Freak

Ford Freak

Me too !

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool ride - lots of info here, and online, on Falcons

5. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

Have been gathering parts... Still looking for a good trans and rear end, waiting on the Jefferson swap meet for some little stuff. Also i'm looking for some 60's buckets from a mustang or something with a low back, Yes i have seen the after market ones but doing an odd color interior and not just a dull black but not a obnoxious color either. I figured getting parts would be quicker and cheaper but i'm too broke and too picky on what i use. As for the height i am definitely going with the 24" limit to the center of the crank pulley and maybe a little less to keep it out of the clouds.

6. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Nice ride. You don't need that grill do you? LOL. I'm looking for a better one for mine.

7. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

looking forward to watching the build

8. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

I am sure i paid less for the car than the grill and hubcaps are worth... If i make a flared hole type grill i will send you a PM first.

9. Zettle Bros.

Zettle Bros.

Sounds great, thanks!!!!

10. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

I'll vote stick just because I prefer them and the mileage with it as a driver should be better, Especially if you go 5 speed.
    I also vote in favor of the 9" for the simple reason if you decide to add more power later, you will be ready for it and not having to redo the rear. Plus gears are abundant in boneyards of all ratios. If it is a driver, a posi is not needed til funds are available.

Ohhh.... great car and project you have there. Wish I kept mine.

11. Veach

Veach

Sounds like to me you need to set down and try to come up with a plan like what is the Car going to be used for and go from there and this is where I would spend a lot of time because it will pay off in the end.Are you going to make the frame rails ? Next I would think is the Engine how much HP are you planing and build from there

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looking forward to seeing your Falcon build! Looks like a good car to start with!

13. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Looks like it will make a good gasser. I'm up the road from you a bit. Back in the 70's I raced a falcon in the compact class, circle track. Good luck!
    Tom

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Thanks Tom. But what does "up the road" from me mean? Not sure Wi. is up the road from Portland? Or is that up the road in years? ;) I'm a spry 63 yrs. old next month!