Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1964 Falcon B/FX Build Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiveoh108, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Thanks for the update Roy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. A Phil Bonner clone certified & approved by Phil Bonner. 427 Thunderbolt motor. Owned by a guy in Donaldsonville GA. Was at Moonshine Festival in Dawsonville GA. last year.

IMAG1262.jpg

3. Alright got back on it today, I got all the notches cut out of the valve covers thanks to Roy's handy air grinder and the valve covers installed. I also added a fuel filter from the front tank to the mechanical fuel pump, so I had to redo the main fuel feed line to the pump. Got the distributor set in and radiator lines hooked back up. It's getting close to firing again!! Next order if business is to cut a hole in the inner firewall on the drivers side so I can better access the clutch linkage. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1377567757.013826.jpg

4. ec164

ec164
    from MI

That looks really Nice Mike, that Cobra piece in front sets it all off.......Al

5. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;glad that worked out,you can't see the notches! It looks like the nozzles can be pulled if necessary!After all the crap that got into the fuel system on the Altered I like seeing fuel filters!The car owner would never listen to me or the driver on filter issues,it took having a Funny Car Crew Chief helping us tune the Altered,and his finding junk in the system,before the owner finally put in a filter and replaced all the lines and fittings!Did you do anything about the timing pointer? ROY.

6. I haven't yet, the timing pointer is still a handy dandy piece of wire coat hanger!

7. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

How's it going mike?

8. Got it started and running today. It will idle really well with the fuel pump shut off closed half way. I think I need to adjust the barrel valve to get the idle right. I am having a friend who is competent in hilborn stuff come look at it next Saturday.

Next is to get the clutch adjusted right and get ready for the hotrod reunion in October!

9. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Awesome.

10. 65COMET

65COMET

Mike;did Bud ever show up? ROY.

11. No he said he had something to do at the last minute.

12. Veach

Veach

Glad you got Her started Its probably a small thing

13. Worked on it again today, found I had the main jet holder in backwards, flipped that around so I could finally get some fuel returning to the tank. Roy found I had a vacuum leak where the intake meets the heads, so off with the intake and everything again, got new gaskets which stopped the erratic idle. Still, with the leakdown set at 10% it idles high at 2000, I can richen it up with the barrel valve to get it to idle at 1000 but, to get it to a 1000 it's soo rich it burns my eyes.

I think I need some more fuel returned to the tank or something. I have a 15lb spring and .115 main net in now so it should be weak enough to let fuel return. I'm kinda at another point now I don't know where to go. But it sounds soooo much better now and is running decent, just need to get the idle down. Any suggestions?

14. powrshftr

powrshftr

Mike:Glad to see you are making progress.You and Roy have that thing on the ropes now,I bet with another phone call to the Hilborn tech guy you will have it dialed in and bending the needle on your tach!Congratulations!
    Also,you should be getting mail soon.

Scott

15. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

How is your car running?

16. tylercrawford

tylercrawford
    from Buford, GA
    1. S.F.C.C.

What did you set the butterfly gaps to?
    15lbs sounds a little high but I only have blown experience (I use a 7lbs spring on the return).

What did the rev test tell you? I set my leakdown richer than I would need and blip the throttle till it cleans up with no stumble.

17. I have the butterfly gap at .002. The main return spring is a .015 wire sorry not 15lb spring. I have a loop around going from the inlet side of the pump to one opening on the fuel shut off as well. I can get it to idle at 2000 no problem, when I adjust the barrel valve to richen it up, the idle comes down to around 1000-1200 but it's so rich you can't stand behind it.. I also have a 0 reading on the fuel pressure gauge. I have removed it and tested it with an air hose, it moves right away.

18. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

19. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mike, I had my gap too big, I lowered the idle via the screw, and it's pretty snotty. If you watch the video, it only had about 2 deg of timing in it, I got it locked out at 32 to get me going, and about 1,400 rpm idle. I fired it up on gas, but it's set up for alcohol. I'll drain the gas, and fill it with alcohol before I drive it.

20. ec164

ec164
    from MI

Falcon Kid your car looks pretty cool.......Mike I feel the frustration with you not being able to just fix it and go, the plus side is your learning something you will never forget, hope you have it ready for CHRR......Al

21. Sounds great! Can't wait to hear it poppin on alcohol! Thanks EC, I'll get it

22. I think I got it figured out, I removed the loop from the shut off valve to the inlet side of the pump, it seems to idle as normally as it will with out being super rich. Still need to get the barrel vale a little better adjusted so it it's got a more snappy response!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1EeOW0yhlU&sns=em

23. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mike, I just weighed my falcon. 2,644 lbs with me in it. I have about 100 more lbs to add between the bumpers, and door glass. How much does yours weigh?

24. Mine was 2950 with me in it last march. I have a fiberglass hood, fenders and front bumper, the rest is all steel and glass. I can loose a lot of weight from my doors, once I get the Roy treatment. I have heavy steel wheels, a steel driveshaft and full interior.. I know where to drop the weight, it's just a matter of doing it. I'm adding a fire system soon too, so that will add some weight

25. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mike, you'll lose over 200 lbs taking out the stock seats.

26. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Mine is all steel, except for the hood.

27. I have dodge a100 seats, but the steel brackets that were made to hold them are pretty heavy duty probably 40 lbs each! safety over weight I guess.

28. Thefalconkid

Thefalconkid

Nothing wrong with a little added safety.

29. 65COMET

65COMET

Brian;it seems the 'Round Body' Falcons are fairly light.My 65 Comet was 2985 in Pure Stock form,with the glass fenders hood and front bumper,8 point mild steel rollbar 2850,with the same fiberglass,lightened gutted doors,fixed Lexan side widows,all aluminum interior,aluminum Kirkey seats,Jerico and 12 point mild steel cage 2985.I have not weighed it with the 418W in it yet,should only add about 40 pounds as everything else is the same! ROY.

30. Getting some new front magnesium looking rims (thanks dale) and front tires. Also a new oil pan gasket, oil, filter and spark plugs.( have a pan gasket leak) also a new stronger throttle cable, getting rid of that lokar stuff.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379997881.519409.jpg