Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Chopped it.......she's still too tall.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tinbender, Feb 17, 2013.

1. MP&C

MP&C

I like the rounded part forward...

2. Not a big fan of the curve heading back up front. Usually the idea is to get a nice flow from front to back and to me the curve going back forward kind of kills that.

3. alchemy

alchemy

I like the front fender as stock, and don't radius the opening. But, on the rear I think it'd look good with two rounded ends.

And how about some 41 Stude tail lights turned sideways on those rear fenders? ;)

4. lanny haas

lanny haas
    from Phoenix AZ

I like the stright down look the other is knd of cartooninsh ....

5. Thank you guys. Your right........one of those ideas that look so good in my head, but just don't work in reality. I may use curved ends on the rears, but still a ways away from the bed and rear of the truck. I spent time after work today putting the chassis back under it, and test fit the motor and trans. Everything fits and clears where it needs to. I'll have to do some minor work to get the ride height I want, but I'm putting in a new floor and trans tunnel anyway. More, less than exciting work for a week or three getting the body mounts built, but making progress again. Thanks for the interest!
    Eric

6. fleet-master

fleet-master

TinB...or can I call ya Eric? Can you get a shot or two from further back? Hard to get a good idea of whether the guards look ok from such wee photos. Glad to hear your makin progress!! And I think you'll have to wait n see if the mods decide to move your thread unfortunately. Maybe try PM one of them?

7. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Good to talk to you the other day, Eric! Don't forget to send me some photos once you have it back on the chassis. I take it you didn't need a shoe horn to get the engine to fit? :)
    Progress rules, eh? -Chip

8. I'll answer to pretty much anything f-m! I was 11 before I realised my name wasn't "Damiteric :D

Motor fits good Chip! No clearance issues at all. So I'm finally committed to chassis and drivetrain after wrestling with some choices, and really figuring out what I need out of the truck when finished. Much as I'd like to go traditional with the underpinnings, I gotta do what I gotta do;) As much as I enjoy the metalwork I'll have to concentrate on the body and motor mounting and get the mechanicals finished. I think I'll do a truck arm rear suspension too.

I have two extra left fenders, so if I can find a right I'll splice the rounded ends together and revisit the fenders later. Pretty sure it would look good on the rear anyway. Ok I'm going to the shop!...........gota work on the T bird a little:(

9. I guess I could do some fadeaway fenders :D

Attached Files:

10. fleet-master

fleet-master

you gota section it....I know you chopped it...but she's still too tall Eric !!! :D:eek::eek:

11. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

PLEASE do the fadaways. that is gorgeous!

12. fleet-master

fleet-master

fadeaways could look cool too...google Austin Devon pickup and Austin Somerset pickup TinB.

13. wayfarer

wayfarer

There's an old picture in the new Rod and Custom of a '57 Chevy truck with '55 passenger quarters grafted to the fenders. There's still a regular bed, but the rear part of the step side fenders are longer and made of the passenger quarters with the taillights. What about doing the same type of thing with '53 hawk quarters?

14. Yep! Fadeaways are going to happen! Never really thought about the idea til today. I was just fooling around with the tape, stepped back and liked it! Wife walked in the shop and said "that is so hot, you gotta do that!"
    I think the fenders should be one piece, and the doors shortened and open above the fenders. Maybe at an angle, slightly "gullwing" if you're following me.

It is sectioned fleet! 4". In the pictures she's sitting 5" above ride height so it doesn't show well.

Wow, I was thinking about hawk fenders this afternoon Jeff. Definitely going need to give the fenders some length. Maybe chip has enough to work with do do some sketches. I'm going to use the Pontiac wheel covers you gave me. They're perfect for it!

15. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I already stole the photos you posted :). I had to laugh at the second photo because you didn't get the whole truck in it. Now I'll need to figure out if I want to "add to your shop" so the entire truck is in the photo, or take the truck out and replace the background with a bunch of topless nuns. All good, though- just having the wheel base will be enough to get it started.

Oh- Hawk quarters and wings could be badass! I'm on it...

16. fleet-master

fleet-master

guess I shoulda said your gona need to section it some more!! :D:D The hood looks tooo high IMO. Of course it could be different perspective in the flesh Eric.

It's poss because the original hood had the break line running through it. How deep is the hood compared to the fender? Sure is an interesting build you've got goin on my man!!

I think its a good move adding the fadeaways. How much work would it be to suicide the doors? I'm thinking the weight of the door could be supported a little better maybe..

17. No more room to section! As it sits now I'm un-channeling the cab in order to fit . Comfort is one of the priorities for this build. I want to wear this one out! I think the hood is camera angle. It looks pretty "right" looking at it in person. it slopes down in the front now, so I can't take anymore out with more out of the cowl.
    My first thought was suicide the doors. No harder than cutting up cars and welding them back together:D First I want to play around with a few ideas. I taped up the gaps in the "fade" and left it on the truck, so I can look at it for a while.
    I really think I'd like the door to open over the fade, rather than the fender fade moving with the door. In that case it might be easier to get in and out with the door hinged at the front. Got an idea in my head for one oversized hinge in the front. We'll see how it develops. I'm glad you guys like it. Every time I walk into the shop I like it more! I appreciate the encouragement and ideas!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  18. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

A quick and VERY dirty phase one-

I had to tweak the quarters pretty bad to get them to resemble a bed side and in doing so I lost the wings "in translation" so-to-speak, but for now it's something for visual stimulation. :)

A suggestion if I may? I know you don't have a lot of room in your shop to get a perfect side view photo, but take a photo of the front half and one of the back half, then I can spice them together and make a complete truck. I've noticed that cameras tend to fish eye the photos really bad which makes it a bitch to get the perspective to look real. Be sure to squat a bit, too, so the wheels look perfectly round- makes it easier to get the stance/rake correct.

I see lots of revisions as this moves forward and it's all good- I can draw faster than you can weld. :)

Attached Files:

19. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I guess it may be too late, but is there a way you could make the top and bottom of the side window openings parallel and remove the slanted hump in the rear top of the roof so that the roof is flatter and not "raked"?

20. I'm going to try to push either the t bird or the stude outside today if the rain holds off. I'll get some better pictures for you to work with. Camera angle really makes things look different with this truck. Love the background in the concept!!

19Forty, I'm still looking at that area. Right now I feel like,I like it, and don't want to change the character of the stude cab too much, but even in person it's hard to get a good look and perspective in the crowded shop. It's only metal, so I'm open to any changes necessary to make it "right".

21. wayfarer

wayfarer

Not quite what I was talking about Chip. Here's the chevy with '55 quarters:
    [​IMG]

I also think the '53 Stude quarters without the wings would be a better, understated choice:
    [​IMG]

Maybe some other quarter would look better, but I love how the chevy still has it's regular step side bed.

22. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Ah, ok- I see what you mean, Jeff. That Chevy bed look awesome! I can't tell you how many revisions I tried on my truck to make a better looking bed. It's quite the challenge.

I'll need Eric to get me a good side view shot with a fender for reference. That would make it a bit easier.

23. wayfarer

wayfarer

That's the first time I've ever seen a truck bed done that way and I fell in love right away. I can't find another picture of it anywhere.

24. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Maybe replicate the front fade away on the rear? I might try that for fun.

25. Yes! One of the things that drew me to the truck in the first place was the matching front and rear fenders. That Chevy pick up is awesome! I'm thinking that using the front half of the fenders is a must. Either fade them, or splice something cool for the rear half. Preferably Studebaker. I don't want to loose the original truck completely , if that makes sense. That's one of the reasons I'm hesitant to take out the factory rake and crown of the top. I also want to stay with a stepside bed, more or less.
    Thanks Chip! And all you guys! I'll get some better pictures asap. But right now I'm thinking I should give the wife a little attention........:D

26. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

Here's another junk quickie. More visual stimulation. I tossed a crappy box on it 'cause I didn't feel like drawing one, lol.

Attached Files:

27. wayfarer

wayfarer

How about '54 wagon quarters?
    [​IMG]

Or '50 Champion? They'd be easy to find.
    [​IMG]

I think if you shortened up the fadeaway and used the same angle as the top of the champion quarters, easing the back of the fadeaway switch a gentle curve, it would look great. Doing that and grafting the champion quarters to the front half of the truck fenders, even keeping the champion character line on the bottom, would keep the 'stude heritage. Of course I can't draw or use photoshop, so I can't show exactly what I'm talking about.

28. Sinister

Sinister
    from Oregon

I almost did one with those Champion rear quarters, but just like you stated, there would be conflict with the fronts if you wanted to keep the flow the same from front to rear. I agree that keeping it "all stude" would be the way to go. That wagon is super cool, but I don't think he'd make any friends with the Stude driver's club if he butchered a wagon for the quarters, hahaa!

I can see Eric's point about altering the door so the fade doesn't open with the door it's self. By using the Champion quarters up front he'd be having to deal with that. I might try it anyway because I like your idea and the curiosity will get the better of me.

29. I believe the the quarters on the champ are actually bolt on fenders. Not that it matters in this case. I sold a 4 door parts car to my buddy. He has since bought a 2 door. Hmm.........might have to give him a call.

30. Chip, I'm definitely using the orig. stude fenders with the fadeaways in front. What I want to try is the rear section of the champ quarter grafted into the front (curved) of the orig. pick up fender used in the rear. I think the same front profile on the fenders would tie them in. I can also alter the champ section to taper down similar to the front.