Register now to get rid of these ads!

Time to play another round of "name that tool!"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Saxman, Sep 20, 2013.

1. I have a whole set of these in various sizes. I think I found them in the garage of an abandoned house about 30 years ago.

The one piece looks like a transfer punch but I have never been able to figure out what the die is for. Some kind of dimpling die? My brother-in-law and I decided it is a muffler bearing installation tool.

I'm SURE some of you will know what this is in about 30 seconds.

The winner will receive a weekend for two at a chicken ranch in El Cajon.

Shit, I'm not sure this is in the right forum...or if there is a right forum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. Saxman: Can you describe it a little better. I'm having trouble seeing it. Tim

3. Is the photo not showing up? The one piece looks just like a transfer punch with a little tit on the end. I have them in various diameters. Along with each punch is a die. The hole in the die is the same diameter as each punch and fits the curved taper on the punch, if that makes sense.

4. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

post a photo...

5. Agreed , Saxman... some less obscure pictures may benefit us all , but then again it may be part of of the charm of the weekend getaway offer :p

6. Okay, so the photo is not showing up. Let me try again. Can you see it now?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  7. they sound like some punches I have from my boat building days for punching out convex washers for rivet and rove fasteners

8. F&J

F&J

..err, No ;)

Maybe just put up a random pic of anything from google...just to add interest:D

9. Thumper

Thumper

Dammit..........I had a set of those things 'till some fucker stole 'em..:(

10. pics in your profile albums?

11. I think ill name them " obsolete" for now and look back in a few lol

12. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have used similar tools for punching out holes in gasket material?

13. Okay, I posted the pic as an attachment. Hopefully you can see it now. These aren't the type of punches that you would use for gasket material, for sure.

14. looks like a grommet swaging tool , like you you'd use on tarps , canvas, plastic etc.

15. F&J

F&J

after all that, the pics are now up on post 1, but I have no ideas.

16. ya shows in all your posts now lol thanks

17. That looks like basic tooling that goes in a punch press, could be a manual or hydraulic press. They come in all sizes and other shapes as well (oblong, square etc). The spike simply lines the punch up to a center punch mark on the work piece you are punching.

18. Okay, that's beginning to make sense. Are you talking about a press for sheet metal?

19. i believe they fit a Roper Whitney sheet metal punch....i think maybe a model # 20

20. These are punch and die sets for an iron worker, there are several different brands. The point on the punch is to line up with a center punch mark on your work. I think you are looking at the die wrong side up, the counter-bore goes to the bottom and the punch enters from the other (flat) side.

http://www.scotchman.com/ironworkers/accessories/in-stock-punches-and-dies/

21. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

i have one of these. i inherited from my father in law. i have no idea what it is ,but so far nothing makes sense to me . he never worked in a mill or machine shop . he drove a cement mixer for 36 years , so i really dont believe anyone has come up with the correct answer .

22. Hmm...how sure are you? The thing is, the other side of the die is not flat. It actually has a slight convex shape to it, as does the large end of the punch. It makes think it was made to be struck. If it were made for a press, I think it would be flat. But maybe I'm not understanding what your saying regarding how it's used and what it's for.

23. Cerberus

Cerberus

Tool to punch snaps?

24. staygreasy

staygreasy
    from s.e. tx

they look like dimple dies. look em up. totally useless. i'll give ya $50 for the set!

25. staygreasy

staygreasy
    from s.e. tx

that is IF they are dimple dies...

26. hallrods

hallrods

Are they for countersinking sheet metal for a machine screw?

27. Babyearl

Babyearl

We have a winner,, I have a 50 Gal barrel half full of these,, I can't belive you would doubt Kiwi Kev.:D

28. Hey folks, I wasn't guessing when I wrote my first post, I have used them in several different fab shops I have worked at and I posted a link to a manufacturer.
    dorf, I have no idea where your F-I-L got them, maybe he stole them, but I do know what they are and where they get used and they will punch through material equal to their working diameter. (1/4" punch = 1/4" thick material, 1/2" punch = 1/2" thick material etc.)

29. BINGO! You are correct! I did some research based on your post and this is exactly what the dies look like. Now, if I just had the punch!!

30. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Look just like the ones on the Iron worker my uncle had. The punch when in the top and the biscuit went in the table.