Register now to get rid of these ads!

How much would you pay for this 1956 Caddy? What is it worth?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by chstitans42, Jun 13, 2013.

1. teddyp

teddyp

it is the frist year for the 4 dr. hardtop and the 2 4,s was a option that usesly camd on the eldo,s

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

The May/June 2013 Old Cars Report Price Guide values for a '56 Sedan DeVille HT
    1. $35,000
    2. $24,500
    3. $15,750
    4. $ 7,000
    5. $ 4,200
    6. $ 1,400

A number 6 car is an unrestorable parts car, which this one ain't.

A number 5 car is "Restorable: Needs complete restoration of body, chassis and interior. May or may not be running, but isn't weathered, wrecked and/or stripped to the point of being useful only for parts. This car needs everything. It may not be operable, but it is essentially all there and has only minor surface rust, if any rust at all. While presenting a real challenge to the restorer, it won't have him doing a lot of chasing for missing parts."

Factor in the amount of rust it has, and subtract that from the $4,000 asking price and make your offer.

3. chstitans42

chstitans42

How much do you think they are worth?

4. john walker

john walker

many door cars are parts cars for 2drs. the quads are cool, but probably no air cleaner. that's where the money is if they're rebuildable with an aircleaner.

5. I sold one like that a few years ago for a buddy. New York car, solid, interior gutted, rear bumper tips rotty, ran but no brakes. Still had the original owner's name on a card on the filler in front of the radiator.

It sold for $3000 and was one of the easier sells I've had. At the time I looked at others and that was about average for a car needing restoration.

This car is better than that one, plus the dual quad setup is worth a couple hundred, maybe more if the carb numbers check out. Air cleaners for those things are big money, $500-$1000 easily.

Oh, and we don't use titles on cars this old here, so that didn't make one damn bit of difference.

6. kennb

kennb

I think it's worth the 4 grand. It's amazing what I'm reading here. Everyone is low balling it. Let me ask something. What would you ask for it if you owned it. Would you sell it for 1500-2500. I'd bet my left ball you wouldn't. I'm sure it would be on the classifieds here for about 12 grand with the rest of the mostly overpriced stuff. Ken

7. chstitans42

chstitans42

Yeah, that was the other thing he said he had but never produced.

8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

More info needed;

1) Will the engine turn over or is it siezed? (something tells me that can of carb cleaner on the floor was used in an attempt to fire it up).

2) How long has he had it? Did it ever run when he owned it or was it as is when purchased? When was it last on the road (what's the last year tag on the plate?).

3) How did you hear about the car for sale? Is he openly advertising or gloating on a hoard of cars?

Pros;

Solid, complete, all trim in good shape, dual quads.
    It's 56 Cad-Badass cruiser tank.

Cons:

Title missing
    Can't confirm if engine can be made a runner or is a boat anchor.

If he's asking $4000, he'll probably expect to barter which maybe means $3500 is his bottom line.

I'd pay $3500 with the title and air cleaner. $3000 w/o title.

I'd sell off the dual quad (which now means you paid around $2000 for the car) and put the $$$ into a single 4 barrel intake setup along with going through the engine, brakes, tires, etc. to make it road worthy.
    I'd toss a seat cover on it and drive it as-is (patina) for awhile. Hit the local shows and try to flip it or trade up into something else.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  9. If there's one thing I've learned in 10 years or so on here, it's that 90% of the answers on these "whats it worth" questions will be lowballs from moderate to ridiculous. Which is why if I need to check a value I look on eBay and in other classified listings to get an idea what stuff sells for.

10. chstitans42

chstitans42

Answers above.

11. he know's his stuff.....and can smell a flipper....he does have some cool stuff that he's trying to move out....kinda like CTC on prices...

12. chstitans42

chstitans42

I guess, except for the fact that all the cars in his yard are rotting away and sinking into the ground. He might be trying to flip the cars, but he sure does not clean em up good

13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Were is the market for this car, within 200 miles of 2,000+ miles away? The shipping cost comes into equasion. This holds true to parting it out, time spent removing the part, boxing and the cost of shipping. That is one large non running lump, I'd wash it and hope to tag a $1,000. profit on it and look for the next buy. Bob

14. stevechaos13

stevechaos13

I believe that still runner is trying to tell you the guy knows that he's dealing with a flipper...as in you.
    A lot of guys would rather hang on to their cars than see them bought by someone that's out to turn a profit on them.

15. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Well a four door can earn it's keep doing weddings at the weekend and you, the driver, gets free cake and bridesmaids.

16. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

NADA low retail for a running driveable car, $14,000

17. chstitans42

chstitans42

Usually NADA is for dreamers. They almost always are high on all their prices

18. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Agreed about NADA but if you cut it in 1/2, it still isn't too bad.

19. 2racer

2racer

to me the cons outweigh the pros by alot, there are sweet deals that pop up and you will kick yourself for not waiting for one of them... patience grasshopper

20. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

people can bust my balls about being a low baller, but here's and example of they reason why I stick with my original opinion. you'd be better off to spend your money here.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=808719&referrerid=72133

pay ship it home and have some money to spare. IMO. the 4 door kills it the local car. all the money is sitting on top of the engine.

unless it's your dream car, then all bets are off.

21. chstitans42

chstitans42

No the dream caddy is a 55 or 56 coupe... already got a more door.

A little update, the guy said he found the keys but not the title. He never titled it in his name, so he has no way of filing for a lost title. He also said he still wants the same amount of money for the caddy, title or no. Guess he might be sitting on this one a bit longer.

22. "I guess, except for the fact that all the cars in his yard are rotting away and sinking into the ground. He might be trying to flip the cars, but he sure does not clean em up good"

so just like CTC Auto Ranch (my friends that own crushers are just a waitin')... <!-- / message -->

23. I'd pay 4K, but you can try to get him down to 3.5K

24. chstitans42

chstitans42

I have actually been there a number of times and nothing really seems to move there either. Sure is a cool place to go!

25. chstitans42

chstitans42

I got the guy to accept $3k. Maybe this will be coming home to me this next weekend!

26. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

Hope you get it. That car should have you posting videos for a year at least!:D Give us what we want!:p

27. chstitans42

chstitans42

Yeah tell me about it, I knowI got lucky when it came to waking up the 58 chevy from its sleep. It think this one might be a little more challenging. We will see what happens, but as of right now I have no 50's car to work on!

28. Motorhead Extraordinaire

Motorhead Extraordinaire
    Alliance Vendor

Nope. Not at all. That's a really nice car, 2-door or 4-door and I think your $3K price is fantastic. Good luck with it. You've got a good one for sure.

Joe

29. 117harv

117harv

Here is what the air cleaner looks like, took this pic at a local swap meet last saturday.

Attached Files:

30. chstitans42

chstitans42

$1,800 for an air cleaner base. That is really amazing.