Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anybody goin to the Lambrecht Chevrolet auction?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by clean cut creations, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalman

metalman

The roof on the Cameo and some others was damaged when the roof of the warehouse gave in due to heavy snow, not transportation damage so that's not why they were held back.
    Back in the 70's we had a rail car turn over full of new Fords near here. I was working in a L-M dealer's body shop, we had several of the cars dropped off to fix. They would not let us cut any panels off, said they could not be sold as new cars if we did. I felt bad seeing the bodymen filling those roofs with filler instead of replacing. Some folks bought a real nice "new" car with 1/2" of bondo on them!
    Now, back to the auction.

2. The Lambrecht car hoard is a head-scratcher from so many angles. Here's hoping that many of these things are cleared up with the auction.

3. This is just a guess based on stuff I've read here & there about this auction. The new cars that have never been titled I think will come with whatever paperwork you get with any new car. MSO & whatnot. You then take that to your local DMV and they issue the first title the car had ever had. Which raises an off the wall question. Since you will technically be the first owner do they come with a 12 month 12,000 mile factory warranty ? When you buy, for example, last years leftover from your local dealer the warranty begins the day you drive away with the car, NOT the day the car was shipped to the dealer.

4. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

Lambrecht is no longer a GM dealer

5. hot-rod roadster

hot-rod roadster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omaha Ne.

Im planning on going and making a weekend of it. Camping at one of the local campgrounds in this. I really have no delusions of buying anything as Im sure prices will sky rocket, but should be fun to see. Gary

Attached Files:

6. HylaPicta

HylaPicta
    from minnesota

This same bider, "Z****g" has the high bid on almost all the trucks (I am only interested in trucks) There are about 75 pickups, and he has high bid on all except for 3 - and many of his bids are far beyond scrap. He may be the fabled "California buyer" who the NY Times said tried to buy the entire inventory from the auctioneer. (see NY Times Sunday Sept 15)

7. HylaPicta

HylaPicta
    from minnesota

I was planning on going down, but as of today (Sept 16) one bider, "Z****g" has the high bid on almost all 75 trucks. He outbid me on 3 trucks, and his bid name looked suspiciously the same, so I checked it out. I am only interested in trucks. Of all 75 pickups, and he has high bid on all except for 3. His bids range from $70 to $5,200 or more. He may be the fabled "California buyer" who the NY Times said tried to buy the entire inventory from the auctioneer at the outset. (see NY Times Sunday Sept 15). It will be no fun bidding against a bazillionaire, so I might not attend.

Who is this guy?

8. crashfarmer

crashfarmer
    from Iowa

I wondered about this. One guy that used to be a farm implement dealer told me that machinery that he had carried over would have the warranty put into effect after so long of time sitting on his lot unsold so when he sold it after a certain period of time it would be with no warranty so he assumes that GM would have done the same in cases like this.

9. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

I just looked at the day 2 listings. There are over 50 trucks that he is NOT the high bidder on.
    If you were planning on going to the auction why did you bid online?
    Just like on feebay bidding early just drives prices higher.

10. sodakmini

sodakmini

local rumor, is Leno was the "Californian Bidder" im sure its just rumor... although you have to assume him or someone from his collection will be there, along with the tv personalities... ie fast and loud etc..... my friends have backed out on going because there is more rumors of 500,000 people attending... most will be looky lous. out side cars will mostly stay under $1000 in my ridiculous opinion....... I still may go... really want one of those 49-52 chevy coupes or maybe that 50s merc....

11. ch4055

ch4055
    from SD

I'm like so many, pouring over the data about this auction and the vehicles, trying to make the decision, will this be worth my time and efforts or are these vehicles, sadly worn beyond belief because of where they have been for the past 40+ years(outside). Has anyone else noticed the mis-information on the vehicle descriptions? The tri-5's and 60-66 pickups have all kinds of mixed up data, from incorrect models to incorrect years. There is a '66 chevy pickup advertised as a '64, and they show a picture of the glove box door data sheet, listing it as a '66. They are suppose to have the paperwork with vin numbers to match, but some of this makes me wonder.... If anyone out there has seen the undercarriages of the outside vehicles, it would be great to hear your opinion of condition.

12. waynejell

waynejell
    from USA

I will be there hoping to buy a few parts cars...I don't undersdtand why we can't buy parts off the cars from the scrapper? Must be an insurance thing...I went to an auction a few year ago in Minden, Nebraska and was able to buy parts off cars as the scrapper was crushing them...:(

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  13. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

Probably liability reasons or maybe they'd be required to have an auto dismantler's license.
    You can probably buy parts from the buyers of some of the parts cars.

14. they are also selling cars at a auction site called proxibid.com from what i found out ...

just wanted to let you all know of ...

15. Barbaric Flea

Barbaric Flea
    from Ohio

After thinking about this for a bit; here are some thoughts.

Looking through the online listing, some of these cars are parts only / scrap only.

From stuff that could be saved; how much deterioration has occurred? Is it worth saving?

Some of these look good from what the pictures show, but how do the floors and frame rails look? And really, the only way to know is to go in person.

Say I want to pick up a Tri-Five project, there are some options here. BUT don't I basically have to take the whole thing apart, clean it up, re-paint it, then go about adding / modernizing a bit if I want to drive it more than one day a week? (say front disc brakes, newer transmission, newer engine if needed) Not to mention new interior, weather stripping / seals, maybe re-chroming some pieces.

I fear that any potential project is going to be bid out of reasonable price land.

Being that I live in the rust belt state of Ohio, the next old car project is coming from out west. And so far, craigslist ads turn up quite a few nice Tri-Five options that I feel would be better options than going to the hassle of trying to score one of these "survivors".

16. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

When does this auction happen ? When it's over we can get away from all this useless talk about it. Thank God for that :)

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

What he said...

18. honeyman

honeyman
    from Steiner

Hell, I saw an ad yesterday about a reality TV show about it on the History Channel I believe.

19. guitarmook

guitarmook
    from Austin, TX

Sat. Sept 28.

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They aren't "selling" cars there. That is a site that allows you to post a bid offsite and the people on site have to outbid you to get the car.

Pretty much the same as posting your max bid on Ebay and hoping that no one snipes you at the last minute. I've seen it happen at a few auctions where I went to and someone had posted a written or phone bid on an item.

21. falconsprint63

falconsprint63
    from Mayberry

I looked at the catalog last night. I have to say that given all the hype I was underwhelmed.

22. Pops1532

Pops1532
    from Illinois

After the auction is over people will be talking about how everyone overpaid for cars with rust issues. And of course people will be talking about what the good cars with extremely lows miles selling for insanely high prices. You won't be able to get away from it for awhile. Of course you could just not read the comments posted about it on message boards.

23. No doubt about it the hype is overwhelming,,I had a elderly gent telling me all about the untouched perfect cars in this auction,,,yeah,I am sick of hearing all the wild stories about it. HRP

24. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

HRP and me are looking forward to the 16 new threads, "did you hear about the guy that bought 53 cars at the Nebraska auction?"

HRP and me... We're ridin together with 3 suitcases; two full of money and one full of stuff, good stuff!

Did you apply the new bumper sticker? You know..."I survived "Lambrecht 2013"

Hell yeah

I hope we can fit the shear and bead roller in your truck. I am talkin millions of floor pans boys!!!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  25. GEEZZER

GEEZZER

Those cars don't look too good to me. I think its all bullshit.

26. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Only a few more days and then the diffrence between hype/bullshit and reality will become amazingly clear.

Frank

27. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

This is the 2013 version of the Leroy Hartung auction.
    The more publicity it gets, the dumber the prices of things at future auctions will be!
    I actually heard about this dealership about 30 years ago. I was a kid then, and thought the guy was nuts for letting all all those "new" vehicles sit and rot. I'm older now, and I'm now SURE the guy is nuts! :)

28. Nominal

Nominal

Can't fault the marketing plan for this auction. The sellers must be very happy right now!

29. chopped

chopped

How do I get the Tee shirt?

30. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

You can buy a car and strip it and sell it to a scrap buyer at the site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.