Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Woody Lee Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by nostalgia59, Nov 6, 2011.

1. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Sorry, that's why I put it in quotes. seems like most pre-27 T's that are built get the Norm Grabowski (no offense steel rebel ;)) look rather than like this one. I'd love to see more done like this or the Ray Boyles(?) that had the track nose and full belly pans.

2. There is a photo in the Rodders Journal Scrapbook page 217 and some info in the captions. My scanner isn't working now so I don't have the image....

3. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

This is the best pic I've seen of the Neves roadster,from CW's40TPU thread titled "track roadsters of the 1950s". Mentioned that Pacheco and Al Neves were brothers in law.

Attached Files:

4. Lowlife

Lowlife
    from MO. USA

scans from TRJ Scrapbook...big ass book, hard to get a good scan.

Attached Files:

5. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty cool, and that is straight from the mag pages back in the day (I think), but . . .

There is no '24 T or Neves entry on Rikster's site (scans of program), http://public.fotki.com/Rikster/11_...ar-1/oakland-roadster-sh/oakland-roadster-sh/

and . . .

Nothing on the Kustomrama site listing the 1950 entries here:

Cars Attending:
    Gordon Vann's 1917 Dodge Roadster
    Fred Ige's 1923 Ford Model T Roadster
    Harold Casaurang's 1923 Ford Model T Roadster
    Don Rocci's 1927 Ford Model T Roadster Pickup
    Gene Winfield's 1927 Ford Model T Roadster
    Bill NieKamp's 1929 Ford Model A Roadster
    Ken Furman's 1929 Ford Model A Roadster
    201 - Mac Schutt's 1932 Ford Roadster
    202 - David Mitchell's 1928 Ford Model T Pickup
    Nick Reynal's 1932 Ford Three-Window Coupe
    Pat Leighton's 1932 Ford Roadster
    Bill Carash's Roadster
    Pierre Paul's 1941 Buick Special
    204 - Jesse Lopez' 1941 Ford
    Vincent E. Gardner's 1947 Studebaker

Beautiful roadster!

6. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

No offense taken. It is all in semantics. It reminds me of when Gray Baskerville printed a picture of my roadster in R.& C. and said "it brings back memories of Grabowski, or Ivo's like-bodied lake modifieds." Now there's another moniker to kick around. I really love all well done T roadster builds.

7. Pat

Pat
    from Felton Ca.

Great car! Bob Allinger also did metal shaping in the bay area. He did the body on Lee's speed shop Tornado streamliner.

Attached Files:

• 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      285.1 KB
      Views:
  8. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

That is NOT Larry Neves in the car... It is my Father ,Terry Chenowth.... This photo was taken in San Ysidro Calif ( San Diego ) in 1951. My uncle Chuck Chenowth owned & raced this car at Paradise Mesa Drags Strip. The roll bar had been removed after Woody Lee ran at Bonneville...

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    volvobrynk likes this.
  9. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

Here is a newspaper article from Nov 25 1951 with my uncle Chuck Chenowth in the car...

[​IMG]

10. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

This #2 car is not the same car , The Neves / Lee roadster had 2 seats in it , With a totally different style upholstering.

Nobey likes this.
  11. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Earlier today I just ran a featured story on Neves/Lee/Chenowth roadster on Kustomrama before I took off for work:

http://kustomrama.com/index.php?title=Larry_Neves%27_1924_Ford

On the bus downtown I started to think that maybe people have been mixing together the Neves and Lee roadsters in the past as well? We know now that the guy sitting in the roadster we thought was Larry Neves in fact was Randy's dad Terry Chenowth! Maybe this actually was Larry Neves car all the time:

[​IMG]

And as you can see it reminds a lot about the Woody Lee roadster:

[​IMG]

So people have been mixing them together?
    What do you guys think?

12. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

Superfleye
    I agree.... These are two completely different cars.
    Does anyone have a color photo of the #2 car.
    or the Neves/Lee Roadster

Here is a photo of the dash of the Neves / Lee Roadster taken in Nov 1951

[​IMG]

13. "Superfleye
    I agree.... These are two completely different cars.
    Does anyone have a color photo of the #2 car.
    or the Neves/Lee Roadster"

I would also agree with that. You have to realize that not all info in magazines etc is correct. Thanks to BIGDADDYUSMC we have much more info now...

14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

What a wonderful history lesson on a beautiful car from the days when racing was the only thing that mattered and cars like this one were rare. I will keep turning the pages on this story.
    Thanks!

15. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

nostalgia59
    I sent you a email through HAMB,,,, did you receive it ?
    I would really like to talk to you to find out why your so interested in the Neves/Lee Roadster...

16. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

Here is a shot of the roadster on the trailer going to Paradise Mesa Drag Strip.
    Nov 25 1951.
    [​IMG]

thunderbirdesq likes this.
  17. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Absolutely, magazines are filled with errors, misspellings and misstakes...they were back then and they are today :) The same goes with books, so it is not always an easy task!

Dick Page posted this photo on my Facebook wall. It comes from HRM June 1952, and it shows the car at the Portland show in March, then owned by Woody Lee again..so it looks like he either bought it back from Chuck or a later owner...

[​IMG]

18. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  19. fortynut

fortynut

After reading the text to the initial article about this roadster, I realized that the nose does indeed look like that of the second iteration of the Novi race car. A little history: The initial car was a revamped version of the '35 Miller-Ford with a Leo Goosen engineered dual overhead cam, supercharged V8 that was fielded by Ed and Bud Winfield (yes those Winfields). Sponsored by Leo Welch, who owned a V8 Ford engine rebuilding company in, Novi, Michigan, it made its debut at Indy in 1941. It was fast but hard to drive. Ralph Hepburn put it on the fourth row in qualifying and it finished 4th in the race. As we all know, WWII brought everything in the U.S., that didn't have something to do with winning the war, to a standstill. After the war, in 1946, the Novi was resdesigned by Goosen, and Frank Kurtis. I won't go into the details, but if you look at that car and the nose on the roadster they appear identical, even down to the bumperette. This was not the last re-design. Andy Granatelli, who also bought and raced one of the '35 Miller-Fords, acquired the rights to the Novi from Welch, in 1960; including all rolling stock, patterns and drawings, and spare parts. After redesigning the supercharger and making other changes, he commissioned Frank Kurtis to build a new body. My quess is that the nose on the Woody Lee roadster came from the spares, or after the redesign. I'm sure there is somebody out there who knows how it came to pass that the nose section of one of the most storied race cars in America ended up on this roadster. I just wanted those who are making suppositions about who built it to focus on the real craftsman who was responsible, whether it was Kurtis himself, or his employees, who were highly skilled and able to work from drawings is a moot point. But, the fact of the matter is this: the results of this amalgam is stunning, to say the least.

20. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Is it this one you are talking about fortynut?

[​IMG]

21. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Here is some more info from Albert Drake on the subject: "1953 Oakland show program lists what must be the same car. Owned by David thorne and Richard lee. It is rod roadster no. 110 which means it was a "street roadster" (current term) although it turned 124 mph in quarter and 133 mph at Bonneville."

The program has no photos of the car...do anyone have any photos from the 53 Oakland Roadster Show showing the roadster?

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Holy shit! How cool is that? Talk about provenance. Stunning, for sure (both times).

23. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

This must be the look Gary Meadors was shooting for when he had Steve Moal build his roadster.

Attached Files:

24. Just saw the Woody Lee roadster at GNRS. It was stuffed away in a garage for 45 years. Pictures are coming.....

25. Best news I have heard all year. :D I can't wait to see the pictures.

26. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I wasn't familiar with this car, so many thanx for the thread and info. I like it! Gary

27. BIGDADDYUSMC

BIGDADDYUSMC

The Wood Lee Roadster is at the 2014 GNRS.....Unrestored , It was recently found in a garage in Los Angeles....

28. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I just finished the show sign for this car . It is on display at this years GNRS in bldg. #7.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  29. Tom Davison photo.
    [​IMG]

30. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

ColorCorrectedLEE copy.jpg
    A little photo touch-up can't hurt, eh? Better? Gary
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015