Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1934 3 window HighBoy Build Begins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by geoking, Dec 12, 2012.

1. geoking

geoking

Sidepipe mounting issue: We are concerned with chassis and motor flex and will address the over all reliability of the side pipe attachment with flex mounts at the pipe and solid motor mounts to limit the sidepipe's rotational movement.
    Details:
    Please find the atached updated pictures to reflect the approach to mounting the side pipes. While you can't see the isolation pads underneath each of the frame attachment locations...they are there! You can see that there is a gap underneath the two legs that go 90 degrees back under the frame bottom. This gap will also have a rubber mount inserted at final assembly.

ADDITIONALLY....There will be isolation donuts at each of the three tabs on the pipe itself. Note that each pipe tab has first been welded to a diamond shaped plate. Josh has then stitch welded this diamond shaped plate to the pipe. The deliberate lack of a continuous weld seam SHOULD DO THE TRICK to provide more reliability!

We are confident that this approach will enable good long term results and prevent the welds from becoming stress fractured.

And as always..Thank you Josh!

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. geoking

geoking

Josh has completed the side pipes and added the springs that hold the pipe to the collector. All of the recently massaged metal will now have to be cleaned up and metal finished.

It is getting very close to tear down for paint.

Oh boy.... and YIKES both as the dreaded color choice is upon is.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

3. geoking

geoking

Well Phooey...
    Sometimes things just dont work:
    1. I have attached pictures of the glove box with the WWII observers wings attached with a knob that matches the other knobs on the dash. This knob is way too big and simply doesn't work. I still like the wing detail but we are going to have to find something else or make it. It's a minor issue but still needs massaging to get it there.

2. Desoto Everglades Red Paint Choice:
    I love this color and have been fixated on using it. Here's the rub...I am worried that while I love it,...this color just doesn't fit the cars personality. We have ended up building something that is not the Traditional Bonneville Highboy we planned to build. I am a bit dissappointed that I will not have one.(for now, grin). BUT, I have to admit that the design slips and directional changes have all been of my own making. I am very very happy with the car. The emotional investment and energy consumed throughout the build has me hooked into a pride of ownership of which there is no return.

SOOOOOOOOOO, picking a color has once again become a SERIOUS FOCUS. Josh and I spoke this morning and I asked them to limit my choices to either Red or Silver. Dustin and Josh are going to pick two of each for a total of four spray out panels to pick from. They believe a very dark Red can still be found that would make the child stand out in school. I threw in two classic silver choices that I believe work well with the cars details in aluminum and black theme.

I can not believe how tough this is. I have spent 9 months working on what red/ maroon traditional color I would pick. NOW, it doesn't seem like the car wants to be dressed that way for the dance. grin.

We shall see.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  4. daddio211

daddio211

The biggest key to picking a dark red is to find one that doesn't turn brown in the shade. Most dark reds and maroons do this, and make a gorgeous color look muddy brown when indoors.

I'm sure that this will see at least some of the indoor show circuit, so choose carefully.

I love silver, but I think that would push it from being a "competition coupe" into the dreaded street rod status. The car is just too sinister to have a bright color, stick with something dark and non-metallic. The car has enough flash and appeal, it doesn't need a "look at me" color to finish it, and bright or metallic paint will keep the casual observer's eye off of the details.

Just my .02, which ain't worth much.

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

5. geoking

geoking

Very good input and very much appreciated.... and on the humorous side...I keep telling them YELLOW just to jerk their chains a little......they know I wouldnt do it!
    smile
    Take Care

6. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

like the car,really like your exhaust.those side pipes are sweet

7. geoking

geoking

Thank you GaryB,
    We have to figure out how much to stuff the side pipes with to get a good exhaust note without being too loud!
    Stay tuned would be the appropriate pun!. smile.
    Regards,
    George

8. geoking

geoking

I asked Josh to push her outside for a photo update now that the rain has subsided and the side pipes are on.

Thank you Josh.

Attached Files:

9. really liking that stance ....

keep up the good work .... =)

10. loudbang

loudbang

Whew almost too pretty to add paint. But no go for paint.

11. Woogeroo

Woogeroo
    from USA

That is so bad ass.

Sweet.

-W

12. geoking

geoking

Woogeroo,
    As a Georgia boy, you will appreciate this. I was about eight years old and traveling in the back of the family Ford wagon on my way to EastPoint, GA for a grandparent visit at Christmas. My Dad pulled into a gas station in Cartersville and my life was changed forever. The most beautiful chopped and fully louvered 34 Highboy was parked at the curb. We all got out to stretch our legs and I just walked over and stared at the WAY COOL , I mean really way cool car. It grabbed me and pulled me in forever . It has taken me fifty years to get one of my own and I am very appreciative when you say that you think it is "so bad ass".

Thank Ya'll very much!
    George
    ( A Huntsvillian)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  13. geoking

geoking

Keeping it real....
    1956 Ford Truck Sun Visor arms

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  14. George, the '34 is looking great!! The way the sidepipes just hug the side of the car is amazing. I can't wait to see this car in person.

On a side note, I'm gearing up on the '48 Ford again. I'm about to paint the rear end and start some more updates on my thread.

Blessings!
    David

15. geoking

geoking

Thank you David. Ill be back to visit the coast soon and will call you for a visit.
    Regards,
    George

16. Sounds like a plan! I look forward to it.

17. geoking

geoking

Josh forwarded this picture with a note that states it is a "Sissy Color" ! Thanks Sweetie. LOL
    Dustin will spray out another red as well. The silver spray outs have been nixed by popular demand/ rejection.
    Rather than do any more painting, I have hired two seperate folks to do color renderings. Both are well known, respected graphic artists and are pretty busy. IE:.. it may take a couple of weeks to get past their work load and see some "color" results to share with you.

I will ask for their input as well as have at least one rendering with my favorite color that may not be appropriate at all. I had a little "What The Bleep" moment yesterday and will give that color real consideration as I will keep this car until my demise. We have all seen cars that we wonder why in the heck did they do that? Geeze...don't know if I can? Good news is that this is fun and I am enjoying the process rather than agonizing over it.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

18. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

I like the maroon you have here! If you don't mind what make model is this from and what is the name of the color?
    Thanks
    Mike

19. George,
    I really like where you're taking this build; kind of a street-going fuel coupe, like the 554 and 15 oz '34s.

The hemi looks great sitting a little higher in the engine compartment than typical.
    Is the bottom of the oilpan flush with the bottoms of the frame rails?
    How high is the oilpan flange above the tops of the frame rails?

Thanks,
    Gary

20. geoking

geoking

Mike,
    I don't know the model but here's the detail.
    Make: Ford and the Color: Medium Red
    Base Coat / Clear Coat IE: Dual Stage
    Dupont Paint Code 6536
    Chroma Base coat, spray to desired coverage as it gets darker with each pass. When your satisfied, cover it up with clear .
    Regards,
    George

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  21. geoking

geoking

Thank you Gary,
    The oil pan flange is actualy about flush with the TOP of the frame rails. Maybe slightly higher.
    The bottom of the the oil pan has 6 inches of ground clearance. The front axle and hairpins have about four inches of ground clearance. IE: We have room for the suspension travel without having to worry about the pan dragging the ground. See if these pictures will help? The bottom of the pan is actually below the bottom of the frame rail. Take a look at the steering in the second picture. Moving the engine up was a blessing for a nice straight shot to the aftermarket Vega Style box.
    Please keep in mind that all of this was AFTER STRAIGHTENING THE FRAME RAILS which lowered the entire front of the car 1 1/2 inches.
    (last Picture)
    Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

22. alchemy

alchemy

Dad bought a 40 coupe almost thirty years ago that was painted Med Red and it has been a family favorite color ever since then. It's ended up on numerous other cars. Lots of uses for a color like that. I certainly approve it on your car.

And SAR cuts up 34's to use as test sample panels?!

23. geoking

geoking

Jeff,
    Nice to hear from you. After spraying out the panel and being unsure...Here is the start of going to a graphic artist to get color renderings. I found the contact right here on the HAMB. Thank you JLB3 from Charlotte. He recomended using Dan Palatnik. Dan is in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and is a graphic artist that is a huge fan of classic cars.

Dan sent me the attached picture this morning and is off to a great start.

Regards,
    George

Attached Files:

24. rcnut223

rcnut223
    from wisconsin

George

thanks! Is this a non-metallic color? appears to be a medium red

I like this shade...do you think this is similar?

Mike

Attached Files:

25. geoking

geoking

Mike,
    Definitely NON - metallic. I think it is one in the same. The indoor lights make a huge difference in appearance so a little hard to be 100%.
    George

26. geoking

geoking

updated art from Dan Palatnik

Attached Files:

27. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

The maroon looks a lot like the 78 Ford Ranger Truck... Medium Cabernet Red that is so popular. The Ford paint code number is 2H which can be converted into PPG or other brands. I use it on all of my suspension components.

Your coupe is going to be a real winner.

28. palat

palat

I am honored to be part of this project. Thanks geoking for the opportunity.

29. geoking

geoking

Dan,
    I am thrilled and surprised that I have not seen your beautiful work before. You have been posting on the HAMB for six years!..... and I just spent the time to look at every one of your illustrations.
    WOW and THANK YOU!
    Regards,
    George

30. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

that's JUST RIGHT,awesome look