Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 47 Plymouth Coupe Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by n847, May 2, 2010.

1. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

I hear ya buddy. My wife and I are packing up and moving to Austin TX from NJ. I sold and gave a bunch parts and had to let go of my project. We are going to rent for a bit till we get settled in so I won't have a project for a year or two. You got to what is best for your family first.
    Good luck!

2. n847

n847

Fortunatly I won't be moving far so I should be able to keep most of my parts and tools that I would probably have to give up if I was moving long distance! I hope we can find a house to buy fast enough that we don't have to rent, because it will cost me a small fortune in storage fees!
    The rental property we would use at this point belongs to a friend of the family who rents month to month. Its small and only has a one car garage but its month to month so we wouldn't need to be stuck there for a year on a lease. However I was told last night that the house had the garage turned into a kids play room. So I said Ok I'll pull the carpet up and call it good, its still got an opening garage door right? Well...yeah but...We cut a huge opening in the wall so its opens into the living room!

I replied...I'm ok with having my hot rod in the living room! And I know my son would be cool with it!

3. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Haha, that would actually be totally awesome! :D By the way, the leather work looks great, man!

4. n847

n847

Thanks Hawk

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. daddio211

daddio211

Maybe at least a sliding glass door so you can keep an eye on the baby (car) and keep the exhaust and gas fumes out of the pot roast.

6. n847

n847

Damn good idea Dadio!

7. brianj

brianj

Got to check out the rest of your build- first time I got on this site in quite a while. Coming out well!

8. I love early Plymouth coupes. Drove one (1941 Plymouth coupe) to high school in 1966. This one is looking good. Keep up the great work.

Envious

9. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Moving garages is tough, been through it once. Good luck! Also, the leather around your shifter looks great!

10. F&J

F&J

N847, I could use some advice help with 3 old Plymouths..:confused:

I am working for an estate type deal, and 3 Plymouths were in the mix.

This convertible just arrived here today; I think it is a 48. It looks like it was slightly modded years ago with a custom interior? It also had twin spotlights, but the holes were filled.

It does not run, pistons not stuck, but has a stuck valve or two, as it won't turn a complete turn. But the trans is on the front floor, along with some linkage parts.

The widow wanted me to work on this one for resale, but I can't see it being a smart move... I thought it should be sold as is, but I have no clue if it is something worth fixing by a new owner? It does have some rust holes showing here and there, and I bet it was patched decades ago, and someone put on "surface rusted front fenders" for some reason. Has the conv top frame still folded down, and the rear window is in the trunk.

I also have a 47 Ply coupe in the shop, that I just got running, and I need to put the fenders, grille and bumpers back on, and at least fix the E-brake so it can be yard driven to help sell it. That car has had some patching decades ago, but is in much better condition as far looks. No surface rust, but very faded old green paint.

Also, but not here, is another Ply convert 47/48, but is all surface rusted, and very large holes in the front floors. That car looks like an untouched field find, and seems complete.

What do I do with these? Is there a place to find a fair value?

Attached Files:

11. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Check the p-15 d-24 forum.

My guess on the value for the 'vert as is is 3000-4000$. About half that if not a convertible. The field find, 2500 max, parts car perhaps, just not that much interest, too much work, not that nice or valuable when fixed up. Sorry.

12. Ed.Boyle

Ed.Boyle

Just finished reading your thread. Hope everything worked out with the move. Awesome build!!!!!!!!

13. n847

n847

Thanks a lot Ed.

Not much new going on with the Plymouth...got a nice promotion at work which has in turn forced me to step my game up. I worked really hard to get this job and I'm not going to fail for lack of effort.
    I do have some stuff planned for the car that will hopefully begin before Christmas!

14. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Congrats on the promotion...

15. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

^^^^^ Ditto on that. Does this mean that a straight axle is in your future? Now that would something cool to find under the Christmas tree!:D

16. n847

n847

No straight axle in the foreseeable future! I'm about to get a few parts together so I can pull the transmission pan to regasket and maybe run some new transmission lines to replace the ones I couldn't afford to do when I swapped the engine. Replace the exhaust donuts and finally swap out the front springs I've had since last Christmas. After Christmas I'm supposed to do a motorcycle seat for a budy and I think I'm gonna trade the profit for some welding labor to get my shock mount relocation done finally. Then if all that goes well I need to look into replacing the rubber mount that goes between the steering gearbox and the frame. Oh and maybe rear shocks? Guess I better get back to work!

17. n847

n847

Here's a couple shots to share from this summers cruising season. My son and I put in some quality miles!

Attached Files:

18. tapkoote

tapkoote

19. daddio211

daddio211

20. n847

n847

Yeah I love that shot! Thats actually the "guilty" face!

21. whose car is this? is there a build thread on here for it? this is very similar to what Seabass49 has planned for his 49 Coronet

thanks, Tim

22. farmer12

farmer12

Great pics, awesome!

23. n847

n847

Thanks!

24. n847

n847

Had to roll er out and run to the liquor store last week...I've always wanted a shot of my car in the snow! She's no fair weather hot rod!

Merry Christmas!

Attached Files:

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

I love it! no hood even!

26. daddio211

daddio211

27. n847

n847

Thanks guys! I'm trying to avoid putting the hood back on till I get it louvered!

28. E.F. VaBeach

E.F. VaBeach

n847,

I'm a new guy to this forum. I read your entire thread today for the first time, and it was like a short novel - really great stuff. Huge compliments for putting so much effort into sharing everything you went through. I actually learned a great deal from your trial & error experiences and the comments from guys who followed your progress through the years.

Attached are some pics of my '48. Still a lot to do, but it's getting there.

I'm subscribing to your great thread, looking forward to the continuing adventure. Keep up the good work !

Attached Files:

29. falconvan

falconvan
    from festus, Mo

Cool snow pics! Now you need to find a big empty parking lot and make a video of you doing a bunch of doughnuts in it! Your cars come a long way, I'm diggin it.

30. n847

n847

Thanks a lot guys!
    Its been a long road with an even longer road still to go. I like sharing with you guys and hopefully a few guys can learn from my screw ups!

VA Beach your car looks great. Tell us more about it! Does it have a front clip? Looks like a wide track width.

Hope everyone has a good new year!

I've been itching to get started on my winter projects but I've been having a lot request for leather work and can't keep up so I haven't had spare time to get started. Hopefully we'll be back at it soon!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using H.A.M.B. mobile app