Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A steering wheel size limit

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ace5n85, Sep 17, 2013.

1. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Im currently working on a 1930 Model A coupe. I am wondering how big is going to be too big for the steering wheel. I found a HAMBer with a good deal on a wheel I like but its 18" in diameter. Is this going to be so big its cumbersome?

Its going to be an unchanneled car with a bench seat. 4" chop. haven't decided on cowl steering or an f1 setup. Manual transmission. I'm just a normal sized guy 5'10, 175lbs. Thanks guys.

2. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I have a 17" 40 wheel in my 30 coupe. Its a little tight getting my arm past it to wind up the window, or turn on my fog light. Easier to go under the wheel for my choke cable. I think the 18 would fit but it will be closer to the door.

3. Fenders

Fenders

I had a 15-1/2" OD wheel, thought it was too large so I put in a 14" wheel, that one takes more effort so I am probably going back to the 15-1/2".

I have a 56 Chev wheel but it's 17-3/4" which I think is much too large.

It's surprising how big a difference an inch or so on wheel radius makes. Note these are ODs.

4. Speed~On

Speed~On

I have a 1950 Buick steering wheel in my 31 Model A Coupe. It's pretty wide in circumferance and it's just fine. I can't measure it at the moment. Here's a quick video, at the end there are a few shots of the interior/steering wheel.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX879jmsdzs

You and I are about the same size and I have a 3 3/4" chop and 3" channel....no problems.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Why not cut out a 18" piece of cardboard and mock it up?

6. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Not sure if you're really smart or I'm really dumb. Good idea!

Thanks for the replies guys I think I'll scoop it up. Worst case. I have an extra Caddy steering wheel laying around, life could be worse!

7. adavis

adavis

I've got a stock 1940 Ford deluxe wheel in my '31 coupe and its perfect. I can still roll my window down using my '49 handle and I don't hit my knuckles on the windshield at the top. I think it looks just right......

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm just cheap.:D I can't afford to buy stuff and hope it works.

9. dsiddons

dsiddons
    from Indiana

I've got a five inch chop and a 46' Ford wheel. 18.5". Plenty of room

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Good thing advice is free or I'd never have money either!

11. Not a Model A, but I put an 18" wheel in a channeled 32' Chevy. Looks perfect & period, but beware of crowding your ability to (a) safely reach the brake or clutch pedal, (b) wind up in your line of sight, (c) present any issue in turning. I had to build a longer column to raise the wheel for pedal access, but it was worth the effort. Also, it may take a little getting use to the larger wheel, but it's cheap, traditional power steering.

12. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

If only there were some way to measure and see if the wheel would be too big...

13. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

I've never actually driven a car like this, guess I was looking more for whether it would be a burden in a real life application as opposed to it physically fitting in it's space. But to your point, you are correct, a tape measure says it will fit just fine. I bought the wheel so I guess we'll find out soon enough. Thanks again guys for all the help, it's much appreciated.

14. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

18" Wheel in my 6" chopped 4" channeled coupe..

[​IMG]

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

A lot depends on:

Where your box is mounted fore/aft on the frame and what dash you are using which will change the angle of the column. My F1 box is rearward from the stock Model A location. I made a mounting flange for the box so I could position it. I can only run a 14" wheel right now or I'm hitting the dash.

Now that I'm switching to a 36 dash it's going to move everything around and I suspect I'll have to reposition the flange on the box. The column will be lower with the 36 dash and I should be able to run a different/bigger wheel. I like the covico I have but man is it small.

16. Speed~On

Speed~On

Just measured my steering wheel. As stated I have a Model A Coupe that is chopped 3 3/4". My steering wheel is 18 1/4" wide. There's plenty of room between the steering wheel and my door. There is also enough room between the steering wheel and the shifter handle. No problem using the window crank or door handle.

17. woodypecker

woodypecker

Had a 46 wheel in a model a pickup and it fit but my belly got in the way so rather than lose 30 pounds I put in an a wheel.

18. Ace5n85

Ace5n85

Thanks for the heads up at this rate I have about two years till I'll need a smaller wheel.

19. 3340

I Have A Stock 40 Ford Wheel And 40 Column On The Stock 31 ford mount And It's Fine.