Register now to get rid of these ads!

4th annual Washington State E vs W Flathead reliability run Sept 14th 2013!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 8, 2013.

1. ok Doug you got me... I tried to hide the B**... I'm busted ! Plenty of parking around the drive in for cars without Flatheads ! :D LOl lead foot = empty gas tank !

2. uncle buck

uncle buck

Chris, In all honesty, you guys don't need to hire a band. With the wide age range of you are going to see you'll never make everybody happy. While the thought of entertainment is nice, it is all about the drive and visiting while checking out each others rides. You guys do a great job at organizing the event and everybody that has gone and returned is proof of that. As far as a different location goes, you guys do have a free ride in Vantage, but I have to admit the thought of actually going to Vantage for a destination just seems wrong.:eek: It would be a challenge to move it, but I think possibly somewhere between Ellensburg or Cle-Ellum area would be better. As you have seen, it isn't about distance from Seattle or Spokane ,cause most of the attendees were not from the big citys , but all over the northwest. By moving to this area almost everyone that attended would have had to go up and over a pass / summit of some altitude from every direction. that would give us west siders nothing to gripe about as far as having to go over the mountains.:D Whatever you guys decide, It will be a great time again for sure.

3. That band is the best ! Gorilla , Rabbit and Chicken !! Panda also !

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Don't change a thing. It's your reliability run. Most of the guys suggesting changes couldn't organize a closet much less an event. Okay, maybe the band could go. It's noisy enough spending a long time in an old tin can.

5. F91

F91

Just a side note. My gas gauge doesn't work, my oil pressure gauge went tu on the way over and my generator quit charging in Covington, so no working voltmeter. my temperature gauge DID work, that's how I knew I was overheating....

[​IMG]

6. SPEEDBARRONS

SPEEDBARRONS

Man, you squares with your gauges, your cages, your fears...... Man, go where the road takes you. Mine sent me hurtling at breakneck speeds, no rules man, just air and faith man, no restrictions man, you got time to freak? It'd be cool if you did...... All right

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Dyno-mat Doug LOL

8. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

And you were following me on the way over with a hand brake? Now I'm really scared! On the way back I didn't try to keep up.

9. uncle buck

uncle buck

Chris asked , so go round up that band and have them help you organize your closet

10. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

If it was anywhere else the Emperors would have to deal with permits, sanitation , security, insurance and everything else that goes with organizing such an event. Vantage welcome's it's arms for this. Where else would a family owned town get this much revenue in one day?

11. uncle buck

uncle buck

That is the positive of the location along with the food on site and when you factor in the area behind the restaraunt and over near where registration was there is really lots of room.

12. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

Could move it up to George, that way the west side guys would have one more hill to bitch about! LMAO

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From my experience lately it's too hard to find a decent burger there Jmikee.

Turning off at Kittitas and taking the old road in might help the west side guys a bit as the climb seems to be more in stages rather than one steady long pull.

14. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

I think your right the restaurant did close didn't it.
    Seriously i like the run just the way it is.

15. This is a flathead run, it is intended for flathead cars/trucks/bikes only. We have had a couple guys in the past show up with OHV cars and we ask them to park in the back. We really do not want to open this run up to "anything goes", it will loose the purpose of it. If a few hot rods with later mills show up and park away from the action, that's OK too. For arguments sake, Thee Emperors had a few OHV cars go this year, but they went the night before so things could get set up earlier for Saturday.

Who wants to go to a flatheads only run and see a bunch of Cameros, Mustangs and PT Cruisers?

16. We are going to have a club meeting and discuss the fate of this run. The meeting point, bands, vendors, overnight activities, etc. So all the input so far is appreciated.

17. tedster

tedster

You guys can probably see the handwriting on the wall. It is a very popular run and you will get more non-flathead cars each year until they outnumber the flathead cars. Just the way things are, popular attracts. Too bad I think you guys have a really neat deal going on. Just my opinion which no one cares about usually.

18. Rod Hound

Rod Hound
    from Kennewick

This run was great and I hope you don't change it. Far more laid back than the waxer fests we usually have around here. Thanks for the effort you guys put in it.

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It takes a man with a pair to drive that one but he might not have a full pair if the U joint lets go.
    [​IMG]

Way out in the cheap seats with the red thing and a few other daily drivers was this prayer meeting
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

90% builders vision and imagination and 10% $$ thrown at it.

I'd almost guarantee that it won't be long before the gal in the pink has her own version of a speedster running around as she checked out more thorough than I did.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I just had a vision of an 8BA in a PT Cruiser...:eek::D

21. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

Thanks Chris and Thee Emperors for putting on the run again. Its one of my favorites every year, even though my car didn't make it 15 miles into the trip this year. I like the run just the way it is.

I guess I could bitch about having to have fun, driving my hot rod with my friends to a free low-key relaxed show. :rolleyes:

22. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

23. Great pics Jack, this one is rad!!

[​IMG]

24. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Thanks Chris .... it's not easy shooting with a heavy camera and driving the roadster one handed ... lol We had a GREAT time! Thanks again to ALL the EMPERORS for their hard work and time! I wouldn't change it at all! I've seen so many great traditional car venues get screwed up when they get bigger.... it's not better! The difficulty of getting there helps keep the not so dedicated home. IMHO....

25. oldebob

oldebob
    from Spokane WA

Right on Chris, it's not a car show. It's a flathead reliability run. That's all it was ever intended to be with some additional humor of an E vs W challenge thrown in for the hell of it. Maybe next year the E side cars should go to Vantage via North Bend or someplace just to "even the playing field." Stick with Vantage. As some have said "the show IS on the road".

26. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The reason that I made my photobucket album with hopefully flathead only cars in it.
    http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr48chev/library/East West Realibility Run 2013?sort=2&page=1
    If there is one car in that batch that doesn't have a flathead or what started as a flathead in it let me know and I will move it to the "in the cheap seats sub album "
    That shows the stuff that had to sit out in the parking lot including three Emperors vehicles
    http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mr...ap seats the non flathead stuff?sort=2&page=1

I'm not a "hood open" guy but at this and only this event the cars with the open hoods showing their flatheads either fully polished or fully oiled are what get my attention and the attention of my camera. Closed hood usually merits one or two photos but I think I got a shot of every engine that was on site. A guys flathead may have been covered with oil from the trip but it still got it's photo taken for the album.
    I've tried to convince a friend and former coworker from Yakima to bring his little red shoebox because the event is about driving and the cars and visiting with other car freaks rather than having the "best" of anything or having your car "judged" His car is a Hamb friendly knockout that is dead nuts on as a mid 60's mild custom. Maybe next year I can drag him out.

You could probably tweak things a tad. Maybe a Flathead powered vehicles only for the "real" show area. A designated "Blusteries customer's only" spot for the folks who come off the road with the intent of buying a burger so they don't have to walk past cars that are just parked to get to the cafe and a cheap seats line where the guys that don't have flatheads can park. The Caddys and Bmw's can park out back were we did this year. Next year I intend to see if that 256 6 that Rob gave me a couple of years ago makes it up there from here on it's own.

27. adavis

adavis

The point of this "show" is the drive, as many have stated above. If Vantage gets too boring I don't see why we couldn't all just meet up in any old parking lot in a different town somewhere near the middle of the state each year. Its not like this is a normal "gotta be here at 7am to register and can't leave till 3 when the trophies are done" kinda show. If the Emperors pick a Walmart somewhere near central Washington and say that Flathead Reliability Run #5 will be there I know where I'm headed. I just want to enjoy the drive, see some cool cars and maybe meet some interesting people. If I get something to eat while I'm there that's great, but I can always grab a bite when I stop on the way home to let the banger cool down.

Would it be totally wrong to just set the date and then wait till a week before the show to tell everyone where its gonna be? We're all ready to drive and I don't think it really matters where we end up, as long as the mentality and restrictions remain unchanged.

28. So basically its a run "for the flathead guys only" (my quotes),and you dont want others mucking it up with late models or OHV hot rods and customs. I respect that ... I will enjoy this get together in pictures like I have in the past.

29. fordman1

fordman1

Even though I missed it this year, sorely disappointed, I would side with not changing anything. Last year was the best drive, level of cars, and fun I have had at a car show. Don't change anything. But then it is your show so do what you want and either people will come or they won't.

Still kind of confused by all the location complaints since it is almost equidistant between Spokane and Seattle, I just happen to live in portland which is my fault and not really thee inland emperors.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Overheads can and do show up they just have to park out in the other side of the parking lot with my Cad DTS and Rob's BMW wagon like any other non flathead car. It might even be a Saturday where you just load up the significant other in the car she likes to ride in and run over the pass, make a breakfast stop and hit the event for a couple of hours and take off and take the other route home to make a day of it. If you don't have a flathead powered car that is. Showing up with an overhead powered car and expecting to "show" it at this event is like showing up at a dog show with a goat and expecting to be able to show it because they let you show it at the fairs in the area.
    It isn't a "show in the show sense anyhow" It's drive, park, visit, take photos, eat, visit and take more photos and load up and drive again kind of thing with the driving and visiting being the two important things of the day.