Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 65 XP Falcon sedan build. Yeah, its a 4 door, coupes are expensive here!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Liam-B, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Deadbird

Deadbird

Sweet car! My son loves his 62 Falcon 4 door. He says 2 doors are for people with no friends.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Cheers guys for the positive comments! Yeah, I don't mind 4 doors, its not really an issue here. It still looks cool, plus its practical when cruising with mates ha ha. After all this im feeling confident to try find a coupe one day and restore that next.

3. maddog1949

maddog1949

cool looking car.

4. Veach

Veach

Awesome Ride and a Great Job

5. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Finished the LH rear wheel arch and inner sill tonight. No body filler used, pretty happy with how good it turned out. All rust gone on this side! Nearly ready to get some hi fill primer and under seal on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. ^ That's neat repair. Cool XP Liam. In old days we went outback in a Ivy green 200 auto Futura 4 door. Great little car, towed a van up & down the dirt Stuart Hwy.
    Say, how long did it take to weld in that initial patch on the RHR outer sill?
    I've got front floors and LHR dogleg to do on my FJ Holden- I wanna run a full bead like you have with minimum warp/ distortion.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  7. Star 351

Star 351

Cool choock Tin there, takes me back to the time when I helped one of my mates put a 302 in his XP coupe

8. Veach

Veach

You should pat yourself on the back cause you did a hell of a good Job

9. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

I just tacked it in and went back and forth welding in beads. I used compressed air in-between sessions to stop any distortion but the metal is a solid 1.2mm thick, so not really a problem anyway.

Im actually going to replace the whole RH side complete sill next, I am not totally happy with the way how I fixed the front section, especially after how good the LH side came up. Its not as rusty on that side at least! I really dont want to use any body filler in these areas.

10. colinsmithson

colinsmithson

11. ausbuick

ausbuick

Good work bro

12. Good work Liam , keep at it man .

13. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Got some motivation to get more rust repairs done. I feel the end is in sight now. Well, so I keep telling myself.

LH door, someone had braised a patch long time ago,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bottom of LH fender was also rusty where it bolts into the bottom of the sill, made up a new section and rust be gone!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. jimbo121

jimbo121

Nice job mate, thats a sweet old "coon"

15. bengeltiger

bengeltiger

Great progress. Love the Aussie Falcons. Wish we had them in the States. I feel your pain on the rust repair. Working on a 63 HT here. Same rust issues except my floors were pretty ventilated, too. Good luck to you and keep posting progress!

16. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Thanks mate! Yeah, getting there. Time consuming as you know to try sort it all out properly with out using bondo.

I should have really bought a hard top to begin with but maybe one day when I have some more space. Sedans rule in Australia anyway it seems!

My girlfriend really wants a 60's Chevy Impala, so that will be the next big project :)

17. ratbagger

ratbagger

Time for an update, mate!

18. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

19. henry roberts

henry roberts
    from australia

great build. love seeing things done right and you make it look easy.

20. a bloke

a bloke

Looking good - our family car was an xp wagon for a few years in the early 80's, we repainted it a very similar colour to yours with a lighter blue roof and rims.

21. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Long time, no update! Although the end is now in sight finally.

So, I ended up replacing the drivers side sill completely. I was never happy with the patch job I did the first time, it bugged me that I could have done it better and not use any filler.

So decided to cut the whole thing off do it again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And that is enough of that. No more rust!!! The doors are back on and the whole body is complete again!

So, moving onto the interior. Finally, putting it back together!

Before :

[​IMG]

After :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry about the photos, not the best quality but it has new Dark blue carpet, new door trims, seats re upholstered (as close to original patterns as possible) and new retractable seat belts in the front. I fitted a white mooneyes steering wheel as its better keeping with the overall theme. Looks really good and I am happy its all back together again ready to drive!

So, that's about it then for this one, the sedan is pretty much done. I am not putting the V8 into this anymore, its going into my 64 Falcon ute now, hopefully make a start this weekend so keep an eye out for updates on that conversion :)

22. Ange

Ange

Nice choice with the white steering wheel - works really well.
    Be sure to paste Ute link in this convo as I'm interested in the V8 part I the story too.

23. Liam-B

Liam-B
    from Melbourne

Cheers!

Yes, will do. I plan on documenting the 302 V8 engine conversion with lots of pictures as nobody else seems to sometimes :)

24. rg171352

rg171352
    from New York

I know this is an old thread, but great car! I've been working on a 61 Comet and chasing an XP grille for it for years. Where did you find the great wooden steering wheel?