Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects ididit collapsible column 54 f100

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by big hugh ness, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Gents, am thinking of purchasing an ididit collapsible column for my f100. I cant get it registered unless I buy a collapsible unit and Ididit look to be the goods. Anyone recommend length or anything else I need to know about these things?

2. luckystiff

luckystiff

straight axle still or been subframed?

3. Do not buy a Cheep Knock off. Be sure you get a "REAL" Ididit unit. They may look the same but the turn signal switch will fail right away. The tilt joint will get loose soon after you start driving and the top bearings fail also. I have seen these results many times. Spend the extra $$$ and get the real thing.
    As for length without knowing your truck any number would be a guess. Depends on what your hooking it to, where you sit in the Truck and how you like it to feel in your hands.
    The Wizzard

4. It's been fitted with a mustang II front end, pinto rack. I don't actually know what a pinto is. Never seen one grazing in these pastures unless they are named something else.

I know what you mean about the proliferation of fake units. Even units marked as genuine products are often made in places where cheapness lingers.

5. Pintos were not sold down under new , we got Cortina's instead . The OHC cortina motor is from the Pinto family though .
    Your mustang 11 front end .... next time you see a TE-TF Cortina parked somewhere poke your old scone under the front and have a good look.... you're gonna sh*t tacks! .

6. They don't look very substantial under there, imho, not as sturdily built as the jag front, but has to be an improvement over factory. Hey, what's a cortina? Haven't seen one of them things on the road for years.

7. midroad

midroad

Ididit collapsible columns have been approved now for NSW.
    Do yourself a favour and buy it from Summit Racing in the USA. Easy to do and you will pay half Australian prices.

8. Swifster

Swifster

A 1971 Ford Pinto - For reference only

[​IMG]

9. luckystiff

luckystiff

Or better yet from a small US rod shop/parts supplier like myself so your also supporting small business. I know I have a few vendors that don't like to drop ship to Aus for some reason but I don't think Ididit is one though I will check as i'll call them this morning with the OP's post question for a suggestion from them....ken....

10. Thanks for the heads up, guys. A penny saved is a penny saved.
    The Pinto looks pretty damned interesting. Bit like a Ford Capri and Morris Marina

11. ugotpk

ugotpk

31" Works well

12. luckystiff

luckystiff

big hugh

i'm shooting you a pm...........ken....

13. I was looking to buy something like this?
    Brand:ididit
    Manufacturer's Part Number:1300300010
    Part Type:Steering Columns
    Product Line:ididit Universal Tilt Floor Shift Steering Columns
    Summit Racing Part Number:IDT-1300300010

Column Length (in):30.00 in.
    Column Diameter (in):2 1/4 in.
    Collapsible:Yes
    Telescoping:No
    Ignition Key Location Dash
    Gear Indicator Included:No
    Hazard Switch:Yes
    Neutral Safety Switch Included:No
    Tilt:Yes
    Turn Signal Switch Included:Yes
    Column Material:Steel
    Column Finish:Natural
    Summit have them for a bit under $500 delivered to Australia. Quite a reasonable deal.

14. midroad

midroad

The reason I suggested Summit is they use the cheapest shipping for any item. Most suppliers will ship to Australia but you need to get a shipping quote first.

15. iroc409

iroc409

That's got "hot rod suspension" written all over it. :D

16. luckystiff

luckystiff

Most small independent sellers will work for you as much as they can also. summit makes that hard for us sometimes but I work for my customers all I can and if at all possible I usually try to make it a goal to beat summit's price by $1.

Sometimes you get more for your dollar when dealing with an independent just like this case. Summit has on it's site this particular unit will ship on 10/02/13 if ordered today. I personally called Ididit and asked about the availability of said unit and it's out of stock at Ididit for 3-5 weeks. Gonna be tough for Summit to fill that order on their listed time frame. That's one of the benefits. Whenever I get an inquiry one of the first things I do is call and double check availability. To my knowledge most of the big guys do that after you have given them your money and even then it's sometimes when the supplier called to let them know it's out of stock......

17. midroad

midroad

It's good to see an independent parts supplier who can ship at the right price.
    I would rather deal with people like you but over the last 10 years that hasn't worked out very often.