Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '51 olds : loose its paunchiness?

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by anteek49, Sep 16, 2013.

1. anteek49

anteek49

I've had a '51 Olds 88 2dr hardtop for nearly 20 years. It's a mild custom with '53 buick sidetrim, It;s very thick,from the rockers to the beltline. I'm thinking of removing 3-4 inches,sectioning it but leaving the top alone. Its is storage so no pics,but the same body shell as a '51-'53 Buick. I think it would look great. Any opinions ? Haven't ever seen one sectioned it ,but it's time.

2. steveb

steveb

Any pics of yours?

3. williebill

williebill

I've seen how-to tech articles on sectioning similar GM bodies in East Coast little books.

4. Stylee

Stylee

5. 'Mo

'Mo

6. anteek49

anteek49

'MO,thanks for posting the pic. Maybe someone can photoshop it. This is the color combination my car was 20plus years ago.

7. thewaxhead

thewaxhead

I think leaving the top alone is a good idea, it looks classy and the roof line flows neatly.. As far the 'thickness' I can understand your point and yes could look insane with some modification, but it looks pretty fine to me as is!

8. Horizontal chrome trim on the sides of the car is a visual cheat that works the same way as a section. If your´s is missing you could put it back. But I´d rather see a section job! ;-)

9. uc4me

uc4me

not a hardtop but you get the idea

3-4 inch photosection and lowered

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
  10. froghawk

froghawk

A subtler and perhaps more complicated solution would be to take the section out above the fenderline....

Attached Files:

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I've always loved the old magazine coverage of the Polynesian being sectioned...makes it all look so easy!

12. anteek49

anteek49

Froghawk,thats a GREAT look,but would be a mother to do. I might pancake a spare hood and see what that looks like.

13. froghawk

froghawk

Thanks. Of course, pixels are way easier to cut up than steel!

Sorry, forgot the Buick side trim. Makes a huge difference. What's great about those moldings is how beautifully they complement the side window opening of the two-door hardtops...

Attached Files:

14. That´s a really good solution. Not an easy one mind you, but it sure looks right.

Although, on the other hand, you´re only cutting the top off the car - which is kind of a less daunting prospect that cutting a slice out of the middle somehow. Maybe slightly less mental anguish involved anyway!

15. 'Mo

'Mo

Daunting, but do-able. The Barris 'Pariciene' Cadillac was sectioned that way.

[​IMG]

(But the red photo-shop Olds looks good, too.)