Register now to get rid of these ads!

home made tools and equipment...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kustombuilder, Jan 16, 2008.

1. Dyce

Dyce

[​IMG]
    Nice tool!! I used to use an open end wrench to finish and tune up the ends of beads that didn't turn out on the ends. Most of the time the dies I use now get the ends good and mostly flat. It's tough when you try punching beads 3/4 or wider.

2. TJratz

TJratz

Ive also used open end wrenches. Great Idea!

3. Lazze in California uses a hole punch which has been grinded to suit the bead size. Very simple and effective.

Mtw fdu.

4. ronzmtrwrx

ronzmtrwrx

Yeah, that's a good idea. I guess he grinds the sharp end off somewhat to increase the wall thickness too? I may have to try that. Much less work than what I did here.

5. A hole punch? I don't see how that would work.

6. studeboy

studeboy

If I recall he ground of one side so it was a "C" shape to fit around the end of the bead. Same principle as the tool above just a different way to get there. Look up Lazze Metalshaping on YouTube, its in one of the bead roller videos.

Sent from my EVO using H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. RidgeRunner

RidgeRunner
    from Western MA

Thanks studeboy, I was having trouble visualizing it as well [which doesn't take much sometimes].

Ed

8. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

All they are doing is finishing the end of the bead, the bead roller leaves more of a ramp or taper at the end. So to finish it so it looks it was stamped with a nicely round finished end it needs to be stretch a little at the end. Not all beads end that way, some will intersect with another, you will need to address that joint by hand as a bead roller or pullmax can not overlap a bead.

9. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

What he is referring to as a hole punch is actually a gasket or leather punch that you can buy at the china tool shop at the swap meets.

An easy way to do this with an unlimited # of sizes is to take an open end wrench , place it at the end of the bead and give it a good whack ,done deal.

That being said if you have access to machine tools I would make dedicated coining tools for the rollers I have on hand.

I mainly use this on one off beads that I don't use everyday.

10. mgermca

mgermca

11. Sweet! Thanks mgermca for posting.

12. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

i made this micro power hammer. it's powered by handwound magnet wire coils,and is sprung like a helve hammer. i made it a baileigh because i think the're cool,and HAMB guys doing a lot for the craft . i have not had a chance to try it yet, but tomorrow i'm going to mess up some pepsi cans :) .i don't think this is too far off topic, hopefully its powerful enough to be able to fine tune trim ends, dash insert work etc.
    [​IMG]

13. jreeder41

jreeder41

14. rouye56wingnut

rouye56wingnut
    from mn.

That band saw frame does not have enough backbone for a power hammer . You could take that Ewheel you have and convert it to the saw frame and you would have a usable piece of equipment . The ratio of backbone to depth of machine is what makes the difference of a usable machine and a space hog that wont get used because of poor performance.

The fact that you are a profetional shop filled with young talent , now is the time to invest in proper equipment that will take you far into the future .

15. bjinatj

bjinatj

Power hammers such as yoder, pettingell or helve hammers have a spring in them to bounce the dies off the material.

Don't think I am trying to be a jerk by saying this, but that is considered a reciprocating machine. That is unless you have some kind of sprung connection in there I don't see.

All that aside depending on how rigid it is you have a pretty cool machine.

16. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

one of those no right or wrong answer deal, it's powered, and it has a hammer action, it is more like a pullmax style machine.

17. jreeder41

jreeder41

I see what your saying about the spring action. So far it does the job better then what we had which was nothing lol. It took about 5 passes to make the piece in video which I didn't think was too bad. It's like alot of other things in the world were you work with what you have available to build with. As much as we will use this, I could not justify investing $5000+ dollars in a pre built machine. It was based of plans we bought from tinmantech. We of course had to make some changes to work with our frame.

18. NONHOG

NONHOG

Coolest thing I've seen all day!

19. budd

budd

great job, what or how are you getting the coil to turn on and off, do you have pics of it before you put it together?
    [​IMG]

20. bjinatj

bjinatj

I completely know where you're coming from. You gotta work with what you've got until you can afford better. Keep on hammering. :)

21. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I'm going to do a separate build thread tonight, tried it today and it works awesome on thin aluminum. basically I use a 12v variable power supply

22. Blue Moon Garage

Blue Moon Garage

Needed a tool to align the oil pump drive after removing the distributor for installation of a Pertronix Ignitor II. Worked like a champ, cost $0.00!

Attached Files:

• tool.jpg
      tool.jpg
      File size:
      289.4 KB
      Views:
  23. GearSlammer

GearSlammer
    from Rogers AR

Ill get in on this...I made a hand press break to bend sheet metal and flat bar..bout 14" wide.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

24. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

Make a youtube video of that thing working!

25. eagleeye8789

eagleeye8789

For upper ball joints on a arms I use a small bottle jack in between the upper and lower arms and crank away and it pops right out.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. henry's57bbwagon

henry's57bbwagon

Remember to leave the nuts on while doing this. I know of one guy who got a rude awakening when the lower arm/ spring came down.

27. Do they make one that's only about 2 1/2" tall? That was why I did the nut/bolt/socket deal.

28. rusty addiction

rusty addiction

Just curious do you have a background in tattoo machines?
    If so ingénues way to adapt technology from another field.:cool:
    Great job.

29. jsaw

jsaw

Possibly an attatchment from a Porto-Power?

30. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Yep.... got a muffin jack for my 10 ton set in Princess Auto (Cdn. version of cheap HF stuff). It will get you into some tight spots, but the problem is that it only has 1/2" of lift, and often there's enough slack in what you want to move to make it hard to make any headway.