Register now to get rid of these ads!

Visiting the West Coast (So-Cal)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BronxMopars1, Sep 7, 2013.

1. roughneck424

roughneck424

2. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

3. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

One month away! Can't effin wait!

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Pacific Coast Highway is a must do drive, Petersen is a must see, just down the street are the Tar Pits, worth a visit IMO. Bob http://www.tarpits.org/

5. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

So far plan is, but nothing set in stone,

-Thursday morning Sears for pancakes then Alcatraz, after that just roam San Fran,

-hit the road heading south Friday morning heading south (taking "the 101") and hopefully making it to Burbank in time for Bobs Big Boy cruise night. I do have a friend in Ventura I am supposed to stop and see for lunch.

-Once were down in the Burbank/LA area Saturday either the Million Dollar breakfast club or Donut Derelicts, Petersen museum maybe a few other shops? Hollywood BLVD, Long Beach???

-we have a room in San Clemente Saturday night where I am hoping to get tattoo'd and a good friend of mine has a private car collection there so we'll prob be hanging around there most of the night.

-Sunday San Diego bound with no real plan except gas lamp district for dinner? Maybe try and hit Hoedads for lunch?

So there's my over planned, under timed idea........ will it all happen? Prob Not but were gonna take one hell of a run at it! As long as were on our plane at noon on Monday all is good.............

6. toml24

toml24

One really good thing about the Automobile Driving Museum in El Segundo, CA. is on Sundays they select several vintage cars from the collection and for a $5.00 donation they let you hop in as a passenger and drive you around town.

7. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

There is a small auto museum in balboa park (san diego). Balboa park is cool. Really though you should go to tijuana. But thats not for everyone so Ocean Beach has a hodads and if you walk past the pier onto the cliffs its kinda cool. Gaslamp might be cool for dinner. But if you want to eat what the locals eat, eat taco shop. They are every where here in San diego, even next to each other. Most are good and a lot of it is served no where else.

8. Special Ed

Special Ed

Good call Junk Yard Kid, I was gonna suggest that they hit a Rubio's, or someplace for a fish taco or fish burrito while in San Diego. I doubt that you'll find any fish tacos in the Bronx!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Awesome thanks fellas! And we sure do have fish taco's didnt you ever see "Hookers on The Point" on HBO?

10. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

While you're roaming around after Alcatraz try Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39 big ass tourist area but all kind of stuff to see...

11. fortynut

fortynut

PCH1 @ Ventura County Line, Neptune's Net. Beer & Seafood. Depending on the schedule, that I've not checked Long Beach SwapMeet @ Veteran's Stadium. At least those were a couple of my best picks in the Days of Yore.

12. Drive'em

Drive'em

IMHO If you miss out taking Hwy 1 down through Big Sir you will miss one of the most spectacular drives in the world. I just came back from a 5 1/2 week road trip across the country, saw some beautiful parts of this country, but the Hwy 1 through Big Sir is still at the top of my list.

13. dave lewis

dave lewis
    from Nampa ID

Sir...its SUR...Big Sur....
    Lol

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. Talken like a Californian and he hasn't been here yet. :D

Next thing he'll be calling everyone Dude. :cool::D:D

15. tred

tred

aha haha ha!

so true.

16. Greaser Bob

Greaser Bob

Freakin kool I'll be in HB the following weekend on a mini vacation!

17. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Just about two weeks out any last minute suggestions?

18. BronxMopars1

BronxMopars1
    from Bronx, NYC

Flying out tomorrow! Any last last minute suggestions?

19. Yeah, Alcatraz is closed thanks to the shit in Congress. Come over the Golden Gate Bridge and take the second exit to Sausalito, the very first exit is the overlook and it's usually a cluster fuck, avoid it. Take an immediate left and go through the tunnel under "the 101". Do not get back on 101 southbound but just before the bridge take a right and go up Consoleman Road. There are several overlooks to stop at. Keep going up the hill, at the very top is Hawk Hill, good place to stop and take it all in. Don't go back down the way you came. It hardly looks like a road but there is a one lane one way road hanging on the side of the cliff with spectacular views, take it all the way, it's about a mile and brings you down to an old lighthouse with a swinging foot bridge to get out to it. Go a little further down to Rodeo Beach, I surf there, good breaks just a little close to shore. On your way out, you can go back up the hill to the road you came in on or go straight and you'll come to a long tunnel, one lane down hill, you have to wait for the green light, not more than 5 minutes. Hopefully this link will work.

http://www.mapquest.com/

You can always go to Sausalito too, lots of places to eat on the water or hit the No Name Bar, if you can find it. It's across the street from the square, it doesn't have a name. :D

20. Go out to the Great Highway to the Beach Chalet for the sunset, it's at the end of Golden Gate Park. It used to be a hardcore surfer hangout where you could seriously get your ass kicked but now it's remodeled and respectable. Depression era murals and cool architecture and it overlooks Ocean Beach. If you get there early, there is great climbing on the cliffs up the hill from it. There used to be a salt water pool from the turn of the century, the 1900 one, and the foundation remains are still there. You can see where the spillway was that the waves crashed over to keep the pool filled.

21. Get a burger and beer at lunchtime at Red's Java Hut, it's under the Bay Bridge on the Embarcadero. Lots of crusty locals but still friendly. Grab a table on the pier, great views of the SF skyline, the bridge, at least underneath it and Treasure Island and East Bay.

At night go to Pier 23, it's also on the Embarcadero and sits over the water, live bands and lots of chicks man. :cool:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013