Register now to get rid of these ads!

4th annual Washington State E vs W Flathead reliability run Sept 14th 2013!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Feb 8, 2013.

1. adavis

adavis

Thee Emperors know how to hold a show. No awards, no BS, just kool cars and good times. I thought the journey would be the fun part but I'd have to say the show was equally as exciting. Yeah, it was hot, but who cares when you're checkin' out killer automobiles. We all should really appreciate the time and effort it takes to put something like this on. I've wanted to make it since the first one and now that I've been I'm gonna do everything I can to make them all from here on out. Thanks guys for throwin' such a cool shin-dig.

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

I think if a line was drawn north south through Vantage, the west side would have had a better turn out. Ellensburg and Yakima would be on the west then. So that's my big bitch about this whole affair....I won't come again..till next year.

3. jmikee

jmikee
    from washington

Hold everything what about Wenatchee??? East West is more a state of mind than location to Vantage. after living on the West side for my first 45 years and east side for the last 25 i am going to be an east sider forever.
    Also big thanks to Cris and all the others who make this run so much fun and a can't miss.
    John

4. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Chris, I wouldn't change a thing! Great drive, great venue and GREAT cars and people! Hats off to the Emperors for doing this! People don't like it or don't want to drive their cars forget 'em! We pushed 370 miles at 60 or 70 MPH and had a great time! This show only brings out the dedicated, which is evident by the quality and diversity of rides! In reality "The Show is on the Road!"
    [​IMG]

5. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You just need to get the west side guys convinced that they can actually venture more than 50 miles from home. From what I see a lot of west side guys with any kind of car think any event more than an hour's driving time from home is too far to go while east side guys just decide where they will stop for breakfast on the way to the event and dinner on the way home as a matter of course on going to any event they find interesting.

And like all the rest of the event the total car count and how many from the west side and how many from the east side is just part of the fun anyhow and shouldn't be taken that seriously. The east side no doubt lost several cars to the event at Paloose and the run at Lake Chelan Give a Wenatchee guy's wife the option of Lake Chelan for a car show or the flathead run in the parking lot at Vantage and we lost a car in the count.

And the event no doubt lost the trophy whores and those who decide what events they go to by the number and quality of the door prices the host club drags out but that really isn't a loss is it? I'll take the free event that i have the option of buying their goodie package with t shirt for 20 bucks or an event T shirt for 10 any day over that. That left guys some spare change to buy a sandwich from the folks that let us use their parking lot and then spend a bit of change with April May or the other folks selling stuff under the shade of the old gas station awning.

6. MrModelT

MrModelT

What's this trash talkin' stuff? :D

I'm a Westsider...and I proudly made the trip was there to represent. The wife and I drove the T up from Vancouver, 4 hours and 14 minutes both ways....478 miles round trip.

HAMBer DWL rolled with us...we can't have been the only ones?

I'm not afraid to drive the T up there and next year I will do what I can to get as many local flattys to follow along as possible.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. t_wood_08

t_wood_08

I want to thank the Inland Emperors for putting on this show every year! Had a great time and look forward to next year!

10. All thee Emperors have talked a little since Saturday and we agree a new band is in order. We all love GCR (Gorilla, Chicken, Rabbit), but this venue may require a little more toned down band. If anyone knows of a good band, that is not super spendy...PM me.

If we do move the meeting point, maybe somewhere in the Wenatchee area. It's gotta stay somewhat central, and would be nice to have a little bigger place. Anyone in that area know of any good spots?

11. MrModelT

MrModelT

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

I would like to thank Thee Emperors for putting on a great show!

...just sorry we didn't get there early enough.

14. My question is why not fix your gauges and Speedos. :confused: I'd never done anything like this before but researching online I figured out how to make my 1936 Ford fuel gauge work with a new Stainless sender from Bob Drake and a $4 electronic voltage reducer from radio shack. I took my speedo that was frozen, totally apart, cleaned it all up spun it with my drill press and then had Speedometer Services out of Colorado make me a cable for $25. 1936 Ford speedo to an AOD Ford overdrive trans. All my gauges work and I have no worries now. It sure helps with knowing your speed and fuel when driving around. Maybe I'm different, I fix everything myself and pretty much build everything myself. To me, thats what Hotrodding is all about. Fabricating and driving what you fix up. Fix your damned fuel gauges and speedo's. Its not rocket science, its Hotrodding!! :)Even if my gauges didn't work, I still drive the crap out of my cars while working on the problems. I just drove the 36 700 miles without blinking. Flatheads use to be driven daily and across passes and across the country.:eek: They didn't change since then. They are still flatheads and can still drive the distance as this run proves to the ones that go on it. :cool:
    Im not sure if the guy that said he wouldn't go on a drive because his fuel gauge didn't work was just using it as an excuse. Hell maybe he couldn't stand driving with the other guy and drove hundreds of miles a week on his own. LOL!! Maybe not.:D

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  15. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Chris;THANKS for putting on the Flathead run again, haven't missed one yet! If you are thinking about changing locations(hope you don't) Rock Island would probably shut the whole town down for the day. Ask Sam why his sedan wasn;t there!! Chris

16. Swindlers Poker run is coming up and theres a bunch of West siders with flatheads that will log close to 300 miles that day. Hope to see a bunch of you East siders on that one!!

17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

When we stopped to Pee ...Jeff just checked his gas with a stick.... WTF!

18. That works!!:rolleyes:

19. irrelevant, but 32-35 Ford gauges are hydrostatic, not electric. I rebuilt mine, but finding a good usable gauge unit is tough. Mine does not work as the tiny line is plugged. You could mount a modern gauge elsewhere, but if you know your boundaries and stick with em, you should have no problem...right Dirty Dug?? :D:D:D

I'll be over for the poker run as long as it's not a down pour. I drive my cars over all those passes every year to go to West side events

20. F91

F91

I think the band was one of the highlights for me!!
    And (other folks)don't be picking on my (eastside) buddy Mr48Chevy. Total class and a true gentleman.

21. MrModelT

MrModelT

Heck....that's what I do too :)

Sent from my SGH-T699 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

My gas gauge works and there's a stick in the trunk too. That's what's so lame about running out of gas. But having the choke half engaged, without knowing it all the way there, probably didn't help. My roadster has a 17 gallon tank but with a not so accurate gauge I've run out with that too. Luckily it happened in my driveway.

23. Got it Chris.
    :)

24. MrModelT

MrModelT

I agree with your point. My T however doesn't have a gas gauge and never did.....so for my car, the stick IS a correctly working gas gauge and its always accurate :D

I do have to my tach, speedo and clock fixed though, no excuse for that.

Sent from my SGH-T699 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

25. Your T is bad ass and a stick is good. I saw a cool gauge made out of a clear tube connected at the bottom and top of the tank vertically
    so you could see the level by how high the tube was with gas. Simple and usefull.

26. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thanks! :) seen that too...been tempted to find or build one like it. Winter project perhaps :D

What car did you have there? The Whippet?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

27. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I thought you were pretty high class if you had a stick that had notches cut in it to show 1/4 - 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank. The only one of my hot rods that ever had a working gas gauge was my T bucket and it had one of those gauges like a lawnmower tank that had the float that turned a spiral piece that in turn turned the needle on the gauge on top of the tank. Even my 71 GMC with the 35 gallon tank in the front of the bed has a broom handle for a gas gauge. And yes I have had to walk a few times but usually when I had misjudged how far I had gone since putting gas in.

It was good seeing your T there Mr Model T
    [​IMG]

28. I had the 1936 Ford at the Arlington drag strip reunion as I thought that it was only Flatheads on the run. No ifs ands or Butts!! :( Next year I'll most likely have the Whippet cruise up with the whopping 1952 276 CID Desoto powered Hemi. All 180 hp if that. It will be the next closest thing to the flathead eraincludingg size internally. Externally it looks like its twice the size of a flathead. Looks are deceiving.:D

29. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

This comment brings up a question (maybe already answered but I haven't seen it)....is there enough parking for us guys driving our cars that are not flathead-powered to attend? Kinda like the LA Roadster show does for non-roadster types. We don't need any special treatment. Just want to be able to park and walk around.

OOPS! Just saw the post by mr48chev. Guys are already doing it. Question answered.

30. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Bill, I went over with Barron's four wheel motorcycle, Rolf Volvo wagan and Fish and Gup in there '57 Ford sedan. All non frat motor There's more room for non-flatties than for all the other cars. But the line in the burger joint never was short. It's a great drive but there's no gas between Leavenworth and Ellensberg.