Register now to get rid of these ads!

Incredible welds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty f100, Oct 6, 2008.

1. I just finished welding up a new O2 bung on a titanium superbike exhaust!
    Not the best picture!

IMG-20130418-00095.jpg

2. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

3. rottenrods

rottenrods

Freehand vertical, 5/8 single pass tig stainless 2209. Not that pretty cause this is at work and its more production than looks

Attached Files:

4. rottenrods

rottenrods

This is looking down at some mirror welding,stainless tig on powerplant boiler tubes. Very close together hard to see normal let in a mirror!

5. rottenrods

rottenrods

Pic didn't load last try

Attached Files:

6. noboD

noboD

Hope it works out for you, Josh. New variable frequency drives to steady your welds?

7. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

Ha, I wish...definitely could use it! :D

8. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

I drink to damn much coffee to stay steady like this guy. Your the man in charge around here now!!!!!!!

9. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I've got my own vices :)

[​IMG]
    An army of Monsters! by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

10. PandorasBox99

PandorasBox99

My MOMA always said not to look in the eye of the sun!!! listen my friend that is where all of the fun IS!!!!

11. seatex

seatex

oh.........my..................GOD! Brown Dog, do you have blood in your veins, or Argon???? Smeltermaster!

12. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Josh I noticed that you weld with a pedal ... is that most of the time? Do you not like the roll control or On/Off buttoms??

I've tried a few roll control units, actually have one that I paid for, but always go back to the foot pedal.

Hope the mend goes well.

Paul

13. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I have both on my Miller MultiMatic...I've been having so many issues with my hands that the foot pedal is just easier. And for bench welding it's just the way to go in my opinion, one less movement for you to worry about with the torch.

14. 117harv

117harv

Foot controll is the only way, well atleast for me. If they would make a thumb control that slid so in one motion you could shut the torch down that would work much better than thumbing the wheel a few times to shut it down.

I have always thought a squeeze lever would work much better than the wheel, kind of like a water hose spray nozzle. A squeeze lever, or levers to control heat and wire speed on a mig too might be cool.

15. ParkinsonSpeed

ParkinsonSpeed

16. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

The videos I did with Miller just got posted. Here's the first one we recorded. I'd never built an oil tank for a bike before, I'm pretty stoked with how it turned out!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Yoyl9IcpUwQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[​IMG]
    Panic Attack Triumph oil tank by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

17. noboD

noboD

How is your rehab going? I have a welding question. At work was helping a guy fab some parts useing a Miller mig. The welder acted as if the wire was sticking, but when I really watched close the wire was feeding fine. The ground cable would actually jump about two inches every time the welder acted up. Ground cable was maybe 40 feet wrapped up in a coil. We switched cables and it worked better, but this time every time he welded all the grindings from the floor lined up and clung to the ground cable, forming a fuzzy steel snake across the floor. What's going on?

18. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

It's not abnormal to create a magnetic field while welding(or sandblasting, or waterjet cutting). Coiling up a ground cable, especially that much, will definitely do it. And even though using a shorter, straighter ground will help, that doesn't mean the field went away! I'm not sure, maybe even the wire became magnetized? I've seen crazier things happen!

19. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

And rehab is.....ok. Left hand is maybe 80%, right hand is going under the knife on Monday! Doc asked if I wanted to hold off until the left was better. HELL NO, I wanna get this over and done with. Just hope it works!!!

20. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Nice job on the tank ... not as many pcs. as I use but you mentioned you'd never done one before.

I'd like to ask, also, hows the rehab working out?

Hope to C U back at it soon.

21. noboD

noboD

Thanks Josh, I was hoping it wasn't internal in the welder. And I'm glad the rehab is working out, hope it gets rid of the problem. And the tank looks like a good project. Did it get polished when you finished?

22. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I'm just a rookie building tanks...I think it turned out all right though! Test will be when I get back at it and how it actually works :eek:

Rehab is ok, next surgery is Monday which will put me at the halfway point. Going nuts!!!!

23. 57 3100

57 3100

dang, what happened ? carpel tunnel syndrome ?
    great videos

24. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

That happened, but that's a minor deal these days. They are cleaning that up at the same time.

The ECU tendon has popped out of it's sheath and stretched out on both sides. Any time I moved my wrist, the tendon wraps around the bone and snaps and pops. It's done it forever, but the last two years it's gotten more and more painful, to the point where I just needed to try to get it fixed.

The therapist said in 20 years she'd seen this injury twice....but both other times it was with broken wrists, and only on one side. Our theory is that I just wasn't "built" for this kind of work, and going at it 100+ hours a week doesn't help. She told me I shoulda gone into knitting or gynecology lol.

25. Yep shoulda stuck with gynecology .................

26. 57 3100

57 3100

Bummer sorry to hear that. I've only been welding 5 years now and have the onset of carpel syndrome. Gotta sleep every night with wrist splints to keep them in neutral position or my hands are totally numb in the morning.
    Good luck man. Keep up the great work

27. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KsFBnOV0bV4?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Another vid we did....kinda goes into why you'd want to use a tig torch to braze. Some cool close up shots of the torch.

[​IMG]
    Panic Attack gas tank by Brown Dog Welding, on Flickr

28. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Carpal tunnel. Been there and done that, had the T shirt and wore it out :)

I had it so bad in both hands back in the early 90's that I wasn't able to Tig weld a 2" boiler tube without my hands feeling like 2 big blocks of wood.

Had carpal tunnel release surgery on both wrists and now have the scars and no problems at all.

Sure glad they were able to fix it. :)

29. jdustu

jdustu
    from Detroit

I wish that was it! Carpal tunnel is like a 2 week fix these days, these two surgeries are putting me out for 6 months :mad: The carpal tunnel is like a throw in they're doing while they're in there lol. (not that it doesn't suck, I've been peeling my fingers off the torch for a while)

#2 is tomorrow, wish me luck :D

30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Absolutely, good luck. I know what it's like to have trouble with your hands and also now what it's like to be fixed.

Fixed wins "hands down" , pun intended :)