Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Shoebox overdrive fails after stop go driving??

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by SanDiegoJoe, Sep 12, 2013.

1. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

I still have the stock 239 Flathead and 3 speed with overdrive in my 1950 Custom Coupe. Lately, the overdrive has been failing on me when I spend time in stop and go traffic or even just driving on surface streets with lots of stop signs. The car still has the 6 volt system, too.

Any ideas where to start looking?

thanks!
    - Joe

2. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

It's usually a wiring issue - GROUNDS!! Check the points in the relay, and the solenoid. BUT ready check all the wiring contacts. You might also pull the solenoid and check to see if the plunger moves ok - it may be dirty and sticking. If you did or going to do any rewiring - all the overdrive wires should be 10 gauge, or it will act up like it's doing to you now - worst when the lights are on - good luck.

3. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

4. SanDiegoJoe

SanDiegoJoe

Thanks so much for the advice! The plunger moves ok, because when I first start out, the overdrive kicks in just fine.

Yep - time to re-wire all the connections.

thanks

5. roddinron

roddinron

Might get a better response if you post this in the general discussion group.