Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rochester expert in the Houston area

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by olskoolrodder, Sep 11, 2013.

1. I have a 3 x 2 set up which I need looked at and tuned. Does anybody know somebody in the Houston area that knows Rochester 2jet carbs?

2. txturbo

txturbo

There is a guy in Katy that is always advertising on Craigslist. He rebuilds all kinds of carbs. You gonna drive that thing to the meet this Saturday?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. thanks! I'll look him up... fixing to post about that on the Houston Meet thread...

4. cooger

cooger

Don't know your setup, but one small piece of advice I would give you is when (if) you modify the end carbs as dumpers better make SURE the base butterflys don't leak-vacuum leak. You can start by totally blocking off the end ports (plate and gasket) and getting it to run perfect on the center carb. Then add 'em one at a time.
    BTY, Vintage Speed sells alum./brass bases for the large 2GC's, I have 'em on mine and they are excellent. Guess he does it for the small ones too but don't know.
    Lord help you in dealing with Vintage, you could well become an old man like me.
    cooger

5. Dickster is just outside of Houston, I am told. Call him.

6. Cooger... I do have slight vacuum leaks on my secondary bases. I agree with you, tried to do business with Vintage. Had to cancel my order after a month with no response. I refuse to deal with this guy again.

7. Vtwhead: thanks

8. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

xx2

9. 26Troadster

26Troadster

are you using 2g's or 2jet's? the reason i ask is i can only find kits to convert the 2g's (only have 1) but not the 2jet's (have 4 of)

10. cooger

cooger

So did I-cancelled the first order. Then ordered again (price went up) and they shipped within 2 weeks. Everything is about money.
    Suggest you REALLY make sure no vac. leaks--SBC's just flat hate 'em and run miserably. Might consider some of that DAK stuff to seal the Bflys--I've heard about it but never known anyone who used it. Are the carbs the small bases?
    cooger

11. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wasn't he Jack Benny's butler? :D

12. They are 2jet, not sure on base size being large or small, I assume small. I actually turned up my regulator last night from 2.5-3psi to 6psi and it cleared up my problem with irratic idling and dying. Not sure if I just put a band aid on a bigger problem or if they were actually starving for fuel but I plan on driving it more this weekend to see if that was my problem. fingers crossed. Regarding my carbs... I have the original bases i.e. only one primary and 2 secondary bases. They were not converted to be secondaries.

13. 26Troadster

26Troadster

now i don't know how true it is, but i have always been told you can not use just primary carbs for secondaries. that is the reason i asked if you had 2g's (small base) or 2jet's (big base) i was wanting to do a ot 3-2 2jet tunnel ram, but can not find kits to convert the 2jet to secondary carbs.

14. cooger

cooger

I sure don't claim to be an expert source for this (hamb always kills them!) but the only 3x2 setup for Chevy was the GTO type-and they were the large base 2GC's. The 348's had 'em also, not sure what base size.
    If you have true secondaries from one of these types they should have no idle screw holes, use an acc. pump, and no idle jets etc. If yours are converted primaries and leaking vac..that would be normal since the primaries never fully closed--for idle.
    I suspect that the increased fuel press. allows the ends to see a little fuel and gives the motor the idea its in an idle mode at the ends. If it works, that would be lovely for you. The Vintage Speed GTO bases fully close-tight-and I'm able to go with progressive linkage and a stock center carb.
    As we discussed, i'm sure not promoting Vintage Speed. Info only. Good luck.
    cooger

15. F&J

F&J

The 348 were small bases

Also, as posted by Carbking: 58 had a front fuel inlet. 59-up had side inlets

Also, those original secondaries have much thicker butterflies which give more sealing surface, but also helps prevent it from digging a groove in the bore.

back to the primary carb improperly used as a secondary; you can back off the idle speed screw completely, to shut the butterflies, but they really won't seal up air tight. Then the vac leaks will give poor idle. The thin plates will wear grooves in the bores, and you will constantly fight idle RPM, because they will shut differently at times, like letting off the pedal quickly vs. slowly.

16. von Dyck

von Dyck

The "Dickster" is located just northwest of Houston, TX.

17. I meant I have a factory set with the center carb as primary and factory secondaries. I do not have a set that has been converted to be secondaries.