Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fire extinguisher in my car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mike Britton, Jun 23, 2013.

1. stimpy

stimpy

just remember its cheap compared to the time you have in your car that wasn't money related ( blood sweat and beers) . and if you bought a good one , the recert/refill is about 1/2 the price .

I just did all the extingushers in the house ( 6) and it cost me $300 4 kiddie cheapies and the 2 big 20 pounders abc's in the garage , but I get a insurance break , and a mental break knowing they are there and all capable of working.. now to do the cars as I have to recert the pickups 3 , and mommas car

2. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I find it difficult to understand the reason for anyone asking "IF" they should have one (or more) in their car......And their home.

4TTRUK

3. I should note that the brand is Amerex. There is a difference between brands, one difference is kiddie has a plastic head and the Amerex is metal.

Anyway it was bought to replace the 2.5lb dry extinguisher in the car now. All the dry ones I have will go into the house and garage. Now to get more for other cars as $$$ permits.

4. Guys check out Nitrostrike these are foaming nitrogen powered extinguishers. They are about $20 each and they knock down the fire faster then dry chem and a lot cheaper than halogen. I am a Vol FF and we use the big systems, but I keep the little cans in all my vehicles. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24xOothUkUs

5. Oldtimer,
    Thanks for the tip. I just ordered on also. :)
    -Pat

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  6. 327Eric

327Eric

If size is an issue, carry 2 or 3 smaller ones in the car. I carry 2 behind the seat in my Elcamino, one on each side.

7. chevrolayd

chevrolayd

Had a engine fire 2 weeks ago from a faulty valve cover breather used up all my fire extinguisther first thing I did was buy a new bigger one the next day

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

Bus,

You sold me on the Nitrostrike.

Ago

9. BrownCow1992

BrownCow1992
    from joliet il

I got a 2 and a half lbs one and instead of it red I taped off the label and painted it marron the same color as the truck. It just looks better than red but I'd rather have a extinguisher than a burnt up unibody

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

10. stimpy

stimpy

can't beat Amerex , they are like Ansul professional grade fire fighting equipment . I looked at the mfg date of mine it was made in 1985 , been refilled several times and looks like new don't know how old the ones I use when I trailer but I have had them since the late 80's also .

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I had a wire short out in my T Bucket the other day. Sitting at an intersection, waiting for the light to change and all of a sudden... smoke was coming from under what dash I have and the carpeting on the left kick panel. I cut my car off and I was able to stop what was burning from spreading by patting and pressing the carpet where most of the smoke was coming from.

When I got home, I discovered a frayed wire had shorted out and burned the plastic coating off. The smoke was from the bare, hot wire on the back of the carpet. I replaced the wire, the carpets were okay (didn't burn all the way through) and an extinguisher is on the way. This could have been a lot worse.

12. kcbeardclub

kcbeardclub
    from KCMO

As an ex fire fighter as well as a man who makes a living on boats, this is of the UTMOST importance, there has been a time or two where I have needed an extinguisher and it has failed due to no turning and tapping. No good at all.

Along the same note, I had redone the wiring in my ride and thought sure as anything, it was good to go, My old lady and I were leaving the gas station and as we had stopped at a light I was of course looking out the window checking to see who was checking out the car, meanwhile a live wire that I had no idea was live hit the dash and started a tiny little fire on the cloth covering, smoke was pouring out of the car, I was crawling around under the dash, the old lady was standing next to the car and no one was thinking "damn, nice ride". Anyways, I real quick like bought an extinguisher and finished the wiring.

It's under my seat and rolled regularly.
    T

13. woodz

woodz
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I believe that fire extinguishers are a must and the easier to get at the better. My Dad has five on his sail boat, and my mother hates the look of them so she made my dad stash them in various places out of sight. Needless to say, we had a grease fire on the bar-b-q one night while mouring at a marina while out on vacation with them. The flames lit up the biminy and my Dad ran below to grab an extinguisher, the guy on the boat next to us chucked over his extinguisher and I had the fire out before my Dad even got one out of its hiding place! some minor damage to the biminy was repairable but time is of the essence in these situations. Keep them close at hand.
    Just my 2C

14. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

If you want an extinguisher, and like it to look better, then simply paint it, and have someone pinstripe it. Then it will have a cool old school look, regardless of where you buy it.
    I run extinguishers in every car I own! Never used one on my cars yet, but I've put out fires in two other people's cars over the years. They were glad I had one!