Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical hydramatic tranny's

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by ChevyFreak, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Yes I do. Here's the list of (current) known Hydro rebuilders: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?do=discuss&group=&discussionid=34907

You've got it Scott. Can't tell you the number of times I've been told to just put a T5 or a TH350 in the truck... :rolleyes:

2. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

That probably refers to the '56 Olds which had either the "O" tranny (controlled coupling hydramatic) or the "R" tranny (dual-range hydramatic).

3. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Yeah, the dipstick thing is weird...

Many have the short dipstick on top, though some only have un undrilled boss cast there and the slant-pan's don't have that boss at all. Well, pretty sure. Something's bugging me that I may have seen a slant-pan case with the boss at one time, but all the other slant-pan's I've seen did not have the top dipstick boss at all.

A lot of trannies had a dipstick tube coming off the pan.

I had one tranny amongst my cores that had both dipsticks. I think it's a truck tranny. '55 6-cyl Chevy one, if memory serves me correct (and it may not).

The only way to really know all this stuff for sure is to collect up dozens of trannies and start comparing them. But I don't recommend doing that. Been there, done that, and it didn't do me any real favors.

4. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Probably by using the Pontiac third gear which was 1.55 vs. 1.45. If memory serves me right (again, it may not... you lose this stuff if you don't think about it all the time). But I think this is right.

5. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Factory called the '56-60 tranny a "controlled coupling hydramatic", and the '61-4 tranny a "roto-hydramatic". Each are completely different transmissions. matter of fact, GM had all kinds of different transmissions... all totally different from each other.

6. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

This is absolutley correct. They would NOT spend 30-50 thousand dollars tooling up and producing/distributing, only to sell 200 tools at 100 bucks a pop and gross back 20 thou for a net loss of a whole lot of money...

If you need one, scour until you find one and buy it for a hundred bucks or whatever. They will never be made again.

7. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Years ago, I visited Art Carr transmissions and told him what I was up to. He called my 54 Olds hydro an "R" type.

Well there is an explanation of sorts. R type hydros are just Olds 98 (52-55) units. Some of them actually had "RA" in the model code tag. That meant "right after fire". Both had long tail shafts.

The "O" meant for Olds 88's and had the short tail.

The reason (I believe) that most transmission guys called hydros "R" type, was because of two things: 1) The Olds transmissions started in 1st in all forward ranges, which was probably easier to make hydrosticks out of and 2) this was probably the most durable of all the dual range hydros.

The only drawback mentioned is the big difference in 2 and 3 reduction ratios. Most had 1:45, while Pontiac had gone to 1:55. Pontiac's ratio provided an even lower first, and a closer 2-3 rpm change.

8. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

Other names for controlled coupling hydramatic:
    Jetaway (Olds)
    Flashaway (AMC)
    Stratoflight(Pontiac)
    Super hydramatic (Cad and later Pontiac)
    dual coupling hydro
    my favorite: dump and fill hydro

9. 55yak

55yak

I used a 55 Hydro behind my 57 347 in my 55 Chieftain with a "Hydro-Stick" shifter for about 14 years. The only one that was sought after for racing back in the day was the 1955 Pontiac Hydro and it was used in any big Pontiac until the TurboHydro came out in the mid 60's. I just replaced it with a 700R-4 for better fuel mileage. I would sell it if someone is interested but the freight cost would be prohibitive. They are heavy. It had a very small leak from the front pump due to excessive flywheel run-out on my original flywheel that was glued real good to my crank and I had to spend a half hour prying that flywheel off my original 55 287, so I'm sure I gave it it's excessive run-out. Max Pontiac allowed back then was .007" and mine was more than that. I'm certain that's why I couldn't keep a front pump seal from seeping for very long. It sure shifted great however. This trans also has a furnace brazed B&M torus assembly. I also have a bone stock 55 Hydro that I had to buy to get a rear end I wanted years back and it hasn't ran for years but it had 58.000 original miles on it when pulled. It's for sale too if anyone is interested. I have an old performance book that shows what tail shafts to use on these old Hydros depending on what year and make GM car you had at the time. I bought mine from a friend who raced his 62 Super Duty Catalina with this trans in his car back in the mid to late 60's. Let me know if interested.
    55 yak

10. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

i think I had forgotten about the 98's having a different code than the 88's, that rings a bell faintly. You better include the '56 Olds dual-range hydramatic there too, though. That definitely had the R code. (which makes me wonder if only 98's got dual-range hydro's in '56???)

11. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

If you get a chance to come across these tools it will make adjusting the servos and bands a lot easier. Picture with the two tools are for internal adjustments. The other tool is for external adjustments for the earlier hydramatics where you adjust from inside the car.

Attached Files:

12. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

I have a 55 olds 327 + hydro transmission in my 31 ford roadster they are great transmissions and just replaced the trans gaskets they where leaking
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. d2_willys

d2_willys
    from Kansas

I believe you mean an Olds 324.

14. Austinrod

Austinrod
    from Austin

Yes sorry it's hard keeping specs on each vehicle in the garage

15. JohnnyD.

JohnnyD.
    from Kentucky

SOME RATIO INFO FROM "THE HYDRO"

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  16. Here is the first set of scans that Gary sent me. I cleaned them up a little.

*EDIT* Will repost with missing pages.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  17. And the other article...

*EDIT* Will repost with missing pages.

18. powrshftr

powrshftr

Just recieved my B&M BC series HydroStick today....Holy cow.I can see why hydros were used in some tanks.This thing has an output shaft that looks like it should be on a piece of industrial equipment,or on a giant tractor or something.Pretty confident I will never break this monster.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. Where are the pictures?!?

Posted via telegraph.

20. powrshftr

powrshftr

Haha...!I was in a hurry and just dumped it at my storage facility.I will see if I have time to swing by in the morning and snap some pics of it.Without snapping my spine when I move it again.
    Too bad I can't install it in my trunk;it would be great for traction with all that weight over the axle...!:D

21. powrshftr

powrshftr

As promised.... ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379275103.337306.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379275141.733007.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379275160.771724.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379275187.722829.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1379275210.141306.jpg

That last one is the money shot....

22. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

Speedy,

that "Hydra-Matic--Rodding's Best Transmission?" is great stuff; thanks for posting, but seems to be missing some pages.

it seems to be 3 articles in 1; a general overview that's continued on p 86 (the continuation is missing)

there's two page rebuilder's directory, which is included in your scans

and it seems to have a spotlight article on a Cal Hydro buildup, of which only 1 page is scanned

do you have more of it?

23. I don't. I took a second look, and it looks like I'm only missing page 86. Let me see if I can get it from Gary, and I'll repost these.

Posted via telegraph.

24. powrshftr

powrshftr

Apparently Precision Transmission in Sarnia has a guy at their sattellite shop in Strathroy who is a bit of a Hydro expert....I'm dropping mine off for him to have a quick look inside tomorrow.:)
    I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Scott

25. Interesting! Please do let us know.

Posted via telegraph.

26. powrshftr

powrshftr

27. Did you mean pics like this:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is a hydro social group here on the HAMB that will have some info and links for ya:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/group.php?groupid=791

These are big heavy pigs and if you want to run one better be sure and have enough engine to pull the extra weight.

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Some of the guys might not know what the "lever" on the rear band adjustment is for; a little after market item made to release the band for the tow back after a run. It helped to save the trans from wear/tear/burning up. Also, look at the patent number on that B & M Hydro Stick Trans; go to the patent office website and look it up; it's for the "T-Valve" B & M invented to hold their trans in first gear without it shifted into second automatically. It also might be of interest to the Hydro Group. Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. You are talking about the deal on with the little universal that sticks out of the top of my tranny. They didn't all have that. Yep for flat towing. I had to ask an old timer.

Here is a little trick that I learned from an old gasser racer (old enough to have been involved in the cam wars) when I was a kid. First gear is really low in these trannies. He told me that most guys can't shift as fast as the you loose first gear so most of the fellas that raced them (at least on blower cars) started out in second and let the tranny make the first shift.

HEMMER likes this.