Register now to get rid of these ads!

I am a dumb ass!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Wildman1, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Wildman1

Wildman1

ETA: I Am A Dumb Ass!

I went out this morning & discovered that my upper control arm came in contact with the tire sidewall - no manufacturing issues at all, just my dumb ass :mad:

$400 worth of tires ruined - serves me right, I should know better

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

That is incredible, glad you and the 57 are fine. Damn you'd expect that from 50 year old NOS tires not something brand new. Obviously the quality control and manufacturing of these tires is questionable....
    i just drove the shit out of my 55 Dodge truck with 20 year old unbalanced bias ply tires with no issues, and on a lot of gravel road to boot...

3. I would be calling Coker and speak to them about this.

4. slammed

slammed

Indeed, the manufacturer is the place to contact. The HAMB is not a rep.

5. Model T1

Model T1

I had new Firestones mounted on 15" older Cragers. Made one trip 8 miles to town then back. Next morning a flat. But I'm hoping it just didn't seal properly. I've got bias tires on a few cars that have been sitting since the 70's still holding air.

6. Wildman1

Wildman1

Again - I am a dumb ass!

7. Kona Cruisers

Kona Cruisers

Usually the way to handle something like this is contact the maufacture, and then flame them on the hamb if they dont help. Not just start out flaming.

8. Wildman1

Wildman1

i am a dumb ass!

9. Gman0046

Gman0046

Just a question, whats the deal with Bias Ply Tires? This is 2013 not the 1950's. All my cars are built for safety this includes radial tires.

10. DrJ

DrJ

Radial tires have been available since 1948.
    I've had bias plys on cars I've bought but I've never bought a bias ply tire in my life and I've been driving since the '60's and don't intend to buy them unless it's just for a museum art piece.

11. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Did you happen to check the air pressure in them after they were professionally mounted and spin balanced? Mounting and balancing tires is about the only thing I am not equipped to do, but you can be certain that I check their work, including checking pressures and lug nuts for proper torque.

12. Wildman1

Wildman1

I am a dumb ass!

13. 54sled

54sled

Good luck on getting mounting charges and a new wheel!,call corky!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

14. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

What's the date code on the tire? How 'bout a pic?

15. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Remember "Just because it's new does NOT mean it is any good"
    You can have a failure on any new item ,they have not yet figured out how to make everything 100% perfect. I feel your disgust at a new item doing that after going new to avoid such things. But, shit happens and really there was no way you could have probabley forseen this. I do most of my own tire work and I always look over the tire closely for anything odd before mounting on the car.

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Coker Tires listed as vendor here. I had the inside belts fail on a new Goodyear tire so, new shit fails too.

17. cayager

cayager

that is unbelievable, couple miles and pow.going flat would be one thing, but to blow out?I would say get your money back but I know myself I would call coker for sure just to say wtf. probably another good Chinese product like everything else we get.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Isn't 215-75-15, a radial size? And if they're old, Summit would be the one to call. No telling how long they sat on them. Either way, a little clarification on the tires would help.

19. Wildman1

Wildman1

I Am A Dumb Ass!

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ahh......Poly/fiberglass construction. Better than bias, but not a radial. Sort of.

21. Flat Six Fix

Flat Six Fix

22. Once upon a time there used to be quality control in place that was quite effective.
    Corporate spending structures deemed this an expendable department by adding to the limits of liability insurance coverage which is cheaper than the QC department.

Fascinating isn't it ?

23. Wildman1

Wildman1

I Am A Dumb Ass!

24. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

It's fine to raise hell because ur pissed that you almost crashed. And I would do the same, find out if some of my hot Rodding brother had any trouble because then you can call their BS if they say it never happened before. Which companies won't admit. I've known 5-6 cases of Coker tires splitting/cracking/rounding etc. and u less you warranty them they won't do anything. And you eat the shipping cost. This is the first blowout I have heard of with Coker though.
    Personally. I won't ever buy Coker tires. Too expensive and too many bad stories

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'll wait to hear what happens, before paying attention to the Coker bashing.

26. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Had a flaw in a Firestone WW 4.75 X16 Bias Ply I bought from Coker in 2010.Lost the receipt when I moved to Hawaii.It had a flaw on the inner sidewall and I started getting flats (after 18 months of use)as it (flaw) was rubbing a hole in the inner tube.Called Coker.Even after close up pics had to send tire back(priority Mail).I did have to pay to ship it.They prorated it and shipped (free -FEDEX ground)a new replacement.Still cost me $56 + what I paid ($28)to ship bad tire to them.

27. Swifster

Swifster

Summit is pretty good at warranting the items they sell. I'd be curious about the DOT date code though. As mentioned, these could have been on Summit's shelves for a while. I'd go to the dealer first and the manufacturer second.

28. spiderdeville

spiderdeville
    from BOGOTA,NJ

my pro tracs held up good with 135 mph trap speed

29. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, we've all a dumb ass at one time or another. Kinda glad to hear it wasn't a tire fault, otherwise there would be a lot of nervous people driving on Cokers.

For those of you that are just seeing this thread, Wildman had an issue that he thought was the fault of a brand new Coker tire. This morning he found out otherwise......

30. nexxussian

nexxussian

Wildman1, good job on the fess up and re-edit (I take it you re-edited your posts to their current status ;) ).

What will it take to get your suspension and wheel combination to not do that, wheel spacers, different wheels, "modified" upper control arm?